    Any recommendations?

    Thanks

    Clive

    Clive, Jul 15, 2003

  2. popup killer try www.google.com
    Small executable no need to install per se

    Use.Netuser.01, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Clive

    YK Guest

    Clive wrote:
    > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > software (TrojanHunter).
    >
    > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    >
    > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > problems with browsing.
    >
    > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Clive

    I like the Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
    http://toolbar.google.com/index-beta.php

    Install a good HOSTS file.
    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File.
    Download the hosts.zip file.
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    SpywareBlaster stops nasties from installing.
    Reference file update July 12th.

    YK, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Clive

    mto Guest

    "Clive" <> wrote in message
    > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > software (TrojanHunter).
    >
    > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    >
    > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > problems with browsing.
    >
    > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Clive

    Zone Alarm Pro - stops the pop ups and it stops all the other ads too if you
    want, blocks the scripts, etc. etc/ Worth every penny and then some

    mto, Jul 15, 2003
  5. In article <2SNQa.12424$>,
    says...
    > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > software (TrojanHunter).
    >
    > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    >
    > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > problems with browsing.
    >
    > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Clive

    I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
    occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible. Unlike in
    the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and for
    Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
    compatible for that matter either.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

    Everything about Usenet answered:
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

    America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Clive

    mto Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <2SNQa.12424$>,
    > says...
    > > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > > software (TrojanHunter).
    > >
    > > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    > >
    > > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > > problems with browsing.
    > >
    > > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    > >
    > > Any recommendations?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Clive
    > >

    > I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
    > occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible. Unlike in
    > the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and for
    > Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
    > compatible for that matter either.
    >

    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >
    > Privacy at a click:
    > http://www.cotse.net
    >
    > Wanna ask a question in Usenet?
    > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > Everything about Usenet answered:
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html
    >
    > America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits over
    it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
    office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you is
    making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody else.

    mto, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Clive

    Lars Hemstad Guest

    Clive wrote:
    > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > software (TrojanHunter).
    >
    > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    >
    > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > problems with browsing.
    >
    > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Clive

    Change your browser to Opera. They have great pop-up filter, I haven't even
    seen a pop-up i ages. Not to forget it's much faster than IE.

    /L
    A spineless man cannot be broken

    Lars Hemstad, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Clive

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "mto" <> wrote in message

    > "Colonel Flagg" <>

    wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > In article <2SNQa.12424$>,
    > > says...
    > > > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and

    Trojan
    > > > software (TrojanHunter).
    > > >
    > > > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    > > >
    > > > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to

    cause
    > > > problems with browsing.
    > > >
    > > > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal

    browsing and
    > > > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    > > >
    > > > Any recommendations?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Clive

    > > I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
    > > occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible.

    Unlike in
    > > the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and

    for
    > > Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
    > > compatible for that matter either.
    > >

    > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

    over
    > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
    > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for

    you is
    > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

    else.

    You raise an excellent point! I briefly read the Class Action suit
    filed in New York (2000). I believe it hinges Netscape using a
    feature called 'Smart Download' and that it's still under
    consideration. Though I'm unsure if such would still apply to the
    latest version.

    In regards to blocking pop-ups. I like to use IE6 and Opera7. With
    my IE6 configuration, I configure the security level of the Internet
    Zone to High and will only move the regular sites I visit to the
    Trusted Zone. This combined with a HOSTS file, a simple pop-up
    blocker for the sites which are in the Trusted Zone along with a
    firewall to prevent unnecessary inbound traffic, ensures pop-up free
    surfing.

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway

    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
    Security on the Internet".

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Clive

    mto Guest

    "Lars Hemstad" <> wrote in message
    > Clive wrote:
    > > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
    > > software (TrojanHunter).
    > >
    > > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
    > >
    > > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
    > > problems with browsing.
    > >
    > > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
    > > doesn't 'take over' my system.
    > >
    > > Any recommendations?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Clive

    > Change your browser to Opera. They have great pop-up filter, I haven't

    even
    > seen a pop-up i ages. Not to forget it's much faster than IE.
    >
    > /L

    You would be surprised how fast IE is with all the ads and popups blocked
    LOL :)

    mto, Jul 15, 2003
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits over
    > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
    > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you is
    > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody else.

    lol.

    nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
    and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
    netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
    obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.

    IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge of
    the computer world.

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 15, 2003
  11. Clive

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

    over
    > > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
    > > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for

    you is
    > > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

    else.

    > lol.
    >
    > nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
    > and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
    > netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
    > obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.
    >
    > IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge

    of
    > the computer world.

    According to the lawsuit (info at
    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2003/jun/jun13b_03.html) which appears
    to have been settled this past June. It states:

    The investigation found that between 2000 and 2002, Netscape's
    "SmartDownload" feature had, in processing certain users' download
    requests, also saved several categories of data relating to each
    download - including the Internet address, or URL, of each file user's
    downloaded. According to Spitzer, the retention of the information
    contradicted Netscape's representation to consumers that "none of this
    information is saved."

    So if this description is accurate. I don't think employing a firewall
    or firewalls would have protected your privacy if you downloaded
    software via the 'Smart Download' feature. Regardless maybe you should
    consider visiting the website and seek your applicable relief, whatever
    it may be.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  12. Clive

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <TkYQa.128$%>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > According to the lawsuit (info at
    > > http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2003/jun/jun13b_03.html) which

    appears
    > > to have been settled this past June. It states:
    > >
    > > The investigation found that between 2000 and 2002, Netscape's
    > > "SmartDownload" feature had, in processing certain users' download
    > > requests, also saved several categories of data relating to each
    > > download - including the Internet address, or URL, of each file

    user's
    > > downloaded. According to Spitzer, the retention of the information
    > > contradicted Netscape's representation to consumers that "none of

    this
    > > information is saved."
    > >
    > > So if this description is accurate. I don't think employing a

    firewall
    > > or firewalls would have protected your privacy if you downloaded
    > > software via the 'Smart Download' feature. Regardless maybe you

    should
    > > consider visiting the website and seek your applicable relief,

    whatever
    > > it may be.

    > That's only *if* you use the Smart Download feature, I do not. It
    > doesn't affect me. I'll continue to use a product that has minimal
    > problems compared to IE which is flawed from start to finish.

    Yes. I believe I said that in the last paragraph, but at the time of my
    reply. I was not privy to know what you do with or how you use
    Netscape. Of course we now know that you don't use the feature and
    hence, it doesn't pose an issue for you.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  13. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >

    > > > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

    > over
    > > > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
    > > > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you

    > is
    > > > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

    > else.
    > > >

    > > lol.
    > >
    > > nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
    > > and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
    > > netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
    > > obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.
    > >
    > > IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge of
    > > the computer world.

    > Colonel, colonel, colonel - of COURSE it gets past your fire wall! If a
    > program is spyware and you allow it to access the Internet at all, then of
    > COURSE it gets past your firewall!
    >
    > The SmartDownload feature that Don mentions is only one of the reported
    > problems with Netscape you know.

    lol.

    you really have no clue.

    spend another 10 years learning computer security, then come back and
    report in. I think you'll finally see that what you've just said, is
    idiotic.

    you're dismissed.

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 16, 2003