    program?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike

    Michael Stough, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Michael Stough

    roach Guest

    have a search on google for "hijack this" it may help you

    "Michael Stough" <> wrote in message
    > For some reason, I'm now plagued by a recurring popup that is titled "Top
    > Web!". This popup occurs outside my normal browser window, whether I have

    > browser window open or not. Does anyone know what's happening and how I

    can

    roach, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Michael Stough

    Harrison Guest

    Disable Windows Messenger Service:
    This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
    ability to chat with friends.
    ____________________
    Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

    In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

    Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

    Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

    In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

    Click Apply and OK.

    ____________________

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.
    ____________________
    Install the Google Toolbar to block browser pop-ups:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Michael Stough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Harrison <> wrote in

    > Disable Windows Messenger Service:

    Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
    advice before you turn this off.

    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>

    Quote from MS:
    "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
    and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
    instead of turning off the Messenger service."

    Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Michael Stough

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Petit Alexi said:

    > Harrison <> wrote in
    >
    >> Disable Windows Messenger Service:

    > Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
    > advice before you turn this off.
    >
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
    >
    > Quote from MS:
    > "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
    > and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
    > instead of turning off the Messenger service."
    >

    > Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

    Not if NetBIOS and RPC are already blocked.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Michael Stough

    Harrison Guest

    I've got him plonked, so I usually don't see his replies.
    I read the article and I still think that the vast majority of users
    will see no harm in turning off the messenger service. But, the OP
    should read the article and decide for himself.

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Michael Stough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in news:3lalb.205$vr5.63
    @newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net:

    > Petit Alexi said:
    >
    >> Harrison <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Disable Windows Messenger Service:

    >> Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
    >> advice before you turn this off.
    >>
    >> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
    >>
    >> Quote from MS:
    >> "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
    >> and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
    >> instead of turning off the Messenger service."
    >>

    >> Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

    > Not if NetBIOS and RPC are already blocked.

    But he makes no mention of blocking NetBIOS or RPC. Which they won't be if
    people are getting messenger spam.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Michael Stough

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    "Michael Stough" <> wrote in

    > For some reason, I'm now plagued by a recurring popup that is titled
    > "Top Web!". This popup occurs outside my normal browser window, whether
    > I have a browser window open or not. Does anyone know what's happening
    > and how I can remove the offending piece of popup trash? Is it some
    > sort of embedded program?

    There are 3 potential sources of pop-ups. Messenger pop-ups are one, the
    other is spyware and the last would be web-based pop-ups. Here are some
    links to help with each.

    Messenger pop-ups:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;330904
    http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/ (don't bother downloading the software
    just read the appropriate section for your operating system)

    Spyware:

    http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=39275,00.asp

    I use Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Browser web pop-ups. These are windows that pop-up or under your browser
    window while surfing. I use Free Surfer mk II (works with IE):

    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen//FS/Download.htm

    Fuzzy Logic, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Michael Stough

    vizz Guest

    This is probably that stupid "messenger" sevices snap in

    Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

    scroll down and double click on Messenger and disable it.

    Its NOT windows messenger, you can do without it, unless your machine is
    part of a lan network that recieves messages via network administrator or
    whatever

    vizz, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Michael Stough

    Mike0000 Guest

    Michael Stough wrote:

    > For some reason, I'm now plagued by a recurring popup that is titled "Top
    > Web!". This popup occurs outside my normal browser window, whether I have a
    > browser window open or not. Does anyone know what's happening and how I can
    > remove the offending piece of popup trash? Is it some sort of embedded
    > program?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike

    Run ad aware. Also you can use a pop-up blocker after. Visit the site
    in my sig for links and info.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike0000, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Michael Stough

    Mike0000 Guest

    Petit Alexi wrote:

    > Harrison <> wrote in
    >

    >>Disable Windows Messenger Service:

    > Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
    > advice before you turn this off.
    >
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
    >
    > Quote from MS:
    > "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
    > and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
    > instead of turning off the Messenger service."
    >

    > Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

    Hahaha.

    "For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is
    completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a
    uninterruptible power supply (UPS)."

    Yeah, most home users who don't know what Messenger is or what a
    firewall does have a UPS or a printer server running in their
    apartments? Take Microsoft's recommendations with a grain of salt,
    afterall they run this stuff by default.

    Shutting it down is just fine and you'll never notice. You should get a
    firewall, but then people have been saying that for years; if you
    haven't listened now this probably wont change your mind.

    Visit the site in my sig for an easy way to shut down messenger - last
    question in faq.

    Mike0000, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Michael Stough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Mike0000 <> wrote in

    > Petit Alexi wrote:
    >
    >> Harrison <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Disable Windows Messenger Service:

    >> Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
    >> advice before you turn this off.
    >>
    >> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
    >>
    >> Quote from MS:
    >> "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
    >> and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
    >> instead of turning off the Messenger service."
    >>

    >> Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

    > Hahaha.
    >
    > "For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is
    > completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a
    > uninterruptible power supply (UPS)."
    >
    > Yeah, most home users who don't know what Messenger is or what a
    > firewall does have a UPS or a printer server running in their
    > apartments? Take Microsoft's recommendations with a grain of salt,
    > afterall they run this stuff by default.
    >
    > Shutting it down is just fine and you'll never notice.

    > You should get a firewall,

    I agree with this bit.

    Harrison should at least mention the need for firewalls.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Thanks much. Ad Aware has fixed the problem. Appreciate everyone's
    comments and advice.

    Michael Stough, Oct 24, 2003