    is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    function?

    , Feb 24, 2005

  2. Salut à toi **, tu nous disais ce jeudi 24/02/2005
    dans <news:> vers 18:32:16 le
    mélange de mots suivant :

    > In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If not,
    > is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    > function?

    Do you ever try Adblock ? It's an extension you will find on the
    Firefox website or Geckozone :
    http://extensions.geckozone.org/Adblock/

    --
    L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
    Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec

    Michel Doucet, Feb 24, 2005

  3. It depends. Some sites need those things. Of course you could just try
    something like tools->popup manager. They are the same things, believe
    it or not! Just try to avoid the bad sites, and get adaware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ use it every once in a
    while, will you!
    A good idea,
    poly-poly man

    Poly-poly man, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Guest

    Michel,

    This helps only a bit. It blocks the content of the ad but not the
    box poping up. Since they change the ad every day, it really does not
    help.

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:43:14 +0100, "Michel Doucet" <>
    wrote:

    >Salut à toi **, tu nous disais ce jeudi 24/02/2005
    >dans <news:> vers 18:32:16 le
    >mélange de mots suivant :
    >
    >> In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If not,
    >> is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    >> function?

    >Do you ever try Adblock ? It's an extension you will find on the
    >Firefox website or Geckozone :
    >http://extensions.geckozone.org/Adblock/

    , Feb 24, 2005
  5. Guest

    There is no such menu choice as tools>popup manager. Ad-Aware does
    not prevent popups or popunders.

    On 24 Feb 2005 13:56:35 -0800, "Poly-poly man"
    <> wrote:

    >It depends. Some sites need those things. Of course you could just try
    >something like tools->popup manager. They are the same things, believe
    >it or not! Just try to avoid the bad sites, and get adaware
    >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ use it every once in a
    >while, will you!
    >A good idea,
    >poly-poly man

    , Feb 24, 2005
  6. wrote:
    > There is no such menu choice as tools>popup manager. Ad-Aware does
    > not prevent popups or popunders.
    >

    > On 24 Feb 2005 13:56:35 -0800, "Poly-poly man"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>It depends. Some sites need those things. Of course you could just try
    >>something like tools->popup manager. They are the same things, believe
    >>it or not! Just try to avoid the bad sites, and get adaware
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ use it every once in a
    >>while, will you!
    >>A good idea,
    >>poly-poly man

    Well, to be complete, Tols>>Options>>Web Features

    Make sure that the box for Blcok Popup Windows is checked, and click the
    Allowed sites button to see if you might inadvertantly have allowed some
    at some point.

    The popup blocker is not 100%, never has been and its unrealistic to
    expect it to be. It is very good, though, and its improved version to
    version. try disbling it sometime, you'll be astonished at how much it
    does get.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 25, 2005
  7. ..brian.. Guest

    wrote:
    > Michel,
    >
    > This helps only a bit. It blocks the content of the ad but not the
    > box poping up. Since they change the ad every day, it really does

    not
    > help.
    >

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:43:14 +0100, "Michel Doucet" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Salut à toi **, tu nous disais ce jeudi

    24/02/2005
    > >dans <news:> vers 18:32:16

    le
    > >mélange de mots suivant :
    > >
    > >> In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If

    not,
    > >> is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    > >> function?

    > >Do you ever try Adblock ? It's an extension you will find on the
    > >Firefox website or Geckozone :
    > >http://extensions.geckozone.org/Adblock/

    [[well doesn't this top-posting business make things annoying to read]]

    It depends what you have blocked in AdBlock... there is probably a
    script you can block that will prevent it. When there is something
    annoying on a web page that I dislike, I open "AdBlock" and sort by
    "Node Names" to easily find the scripts -- then use a lot of wildcard
    options. One script that drives me nuts underlines words on web pages
    to "provide me with related information" -- it's easily blocked though
    ;-) AdBlock is my favorite extension.

    Try searching Google for AdBlock information; there are people out
    there that make their blocked items available for you to download and
    import into yours.
    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Feb 25, 2005
  8. Jim Shu Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:32:16 GMT, wrote:

    >In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If not,
    >is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    >function?

    See: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The HOSTS file entries work like a charm.

    Jim Shu, Feb 25, 2005
  9. ..brian.. Guest

    Jim Shu wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:32:16 GMT, wrote:
    >
    > >In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If

    not,
    > >is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    > >function?

    > See: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    > The HOSTS file entries work like a charm.

    Except if you don't like seeing all the broken images on web pages...
    although, there is probably a solution to that too. I use AdBlock and
    absolutely love it. It works perfectly for me and have no complaints
    about the way it operates. I ditched the HOST file method a long time
    ago. Everyone has their prefered method though ;-)

    The HOST file does have one advantage... it blocks all communication to
    the listed entries; AdBlock only works with the browser.

    ..brian.., Feb 25, 2005
  10. ...brian.. wrote:
    > Jim Shu wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:32:16 GMT, wrote:
    >>

    >>>In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If

    > not,
    >
    >>>is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    >>>function?

    >>See: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >>
    >>The HOSTS file entries work like a charm.

    > Except if you don't like seeing all the broken images on web pages...
    > although, there is probably a solution to that too. I use AdBlock and
    > absolutely love it. It works perfectly for me and have no complaints
    > about the way it operates. I ditched the HOST file method a long time
    > ago. Everyone has their prefered method though ;-)
    >
    > The HOST file does have one advantage... it blocks all communication to
    > the listed entries; AdBlock only works with the browser.

    There is a great way to block ads from Firefox, Mozilla, and even
    Thinderhird if you use it to read RSS feeds:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock

    I've been using a week or so, and its great!

    I have a HOSTS file working too. I see virtually no ads.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 25, 2005

    Sure: http://www.privoxy.org

    > I use AdBlock and
    > absolutely love it. It works perfectly for me and have no complaints
    > about the way it operates. I ditched the HOST file method a long time
    > ago. Everyone has their prefered method though ;-)

    I use both privoxy and adblock.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Feb 26, 2005
  12. On 2005-02-24, <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:43:14 +0100, "Michel Doucet" <>
    > wrote:
    >>Do you ever try Adblock ? It's an extension you will find on the
    >>Firefox website or Geckozone :
    >>http://extensions.geckozone.org/Adblock/

    > This helps only a bit. It blocks the content of the ad but not the
    > box poping up. Since they change the ad every day, it really does not
    > help.

    You can use wildcards in the adblock filters. Instead of blocking
    "http://www.whatever.com/ads/this_ad.html" use
    "http://www.whatever.com/ads/*" and you will block ads even when they
    change it slightly.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Feb 26, 2005
  13. Roland Guest

    On 24-2-2005 18:32, wrote:

    > In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If not,
    > is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    > function?

    If it's a popunder generated with the aid of a small Flash animation,
    Firefox 1.0+ and Moz1.7.5 are capable of blocking this kind of
    popups/popunders.

    You have to create (or set) the integer preference
    'privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins' with value 2. To do this, type
    about:config
    in the address bar, and then type
    popup
    in the 'Filter' field (this limits the number of prefs displayed). Look
    if you already have the pref (it's not in the list by default). If not,
    right-click anywhere in the pref list, and select
    New -> Integer
    Type
    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    as its name, and
    2
    as its value. The pref should be effective immediately, if not, restart.
    [Note that it's available for Moz1.7.5+ / FF1.0+, and that it possibly
    also blocks windows launched from Java applets or other plugins.]

    Values for privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins have the following effect:
    0 = lets all popups through
    1 = limits their number to dom.popup_maximum (even with popup blocker
    disabled)
    2 = blocks popups from plugins
    3 = blocks them even on whitelisted sites.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Feb 28, 2005
  14. Splibbilla Guest

    HOsts (auhma (spelling?) + spybot + a few domains of my own) and proxomitron (adlist=URL Killfile.txt).

    i've never noticed images that i wanted to see being 'broken'. but i've noticed that yahoo news uses the same domain for news
    pics as it uses for ad pics.

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?

    Splibbilla, Mar 1, 2005
  15. Guest

    Roland,

    Your fix works. Its beautiful. Thansk!!

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:10:22 +0100, Roland <> wrote:

    >On 24-2-2005 18:32, wrote:
    >
    >> In Firefox, is there any way to block popunders (not popups)? If not,
    >> is there any third party prodcut or freeware that perfoprms this
    >> function?

    >If it's a popunder generated with the aid of a small Flash animation,
    >Firefox 1.0+ and Moz1.7.5 are capable of blocking this kind of
    >popups/popunders.
    >
    >You have to create (or set) the integer preference
    >'privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins' with value 2. To do this, type
    > about:config
    >in the address bar, and then type
    > popup
    >in the 'Filter' field (this limits the number of prefs displayed). Look
    >if you already have the pref (it's not in the list by default). If not,
    >right-click anywhere in the pref list, and select
    > New -> Integer
    >Type
    > privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >as its name, and
    > 2
    >as its value. The pref should be effective immediately, if not, restart.
    >[Note that it's available for Moz1.7.5+ / FF1.0+, and that it possibly
    >also blocks windows launched from Java applets or other plugins.]
    >
    >Values for privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins have the following effect:
    >0 = lets all popups through
    >1 = limits their number to dom.popup_maximum (even with popup blocker
    >disabled)
    >2 = blocks popups from plugins
    >3 = blocks them even on whitelisted sites.

    , Mar 2, 2005