Popularity of DVD Threatens to Eclipse Video

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Justin, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    from
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&e=3&u=/nm/20040304/film_nm/leisure_dvd_dc

    The popularity of DVDs is fast eclipsing that of the humble video in
    Britain with purchases of the newer format accounting for around 85
    percent of movie sales in January, figures showed on Thursday.

    The British Video Association (BVA) said the best-selling film
    in that month -- "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- sold 265,000
    copies on DVD, compared with 52,800 on video.

    DVD rentals of "Pirates" also outstripped those of video, with
    328,900 DVDs rented, compared with 142,900 videos.

    Director-general of the BVA, Lavinia Carey, said the growing
    popularity of the DVD was likely to continue owing to its
    "superior sound and picture quality" and "ease of use."

    However, with just 41 percent of British households owning a
    DVD player, compared to 91 percent with a video player, the
    death knell of the video was not yet ready to sound, she said.

    The BVA figures also showed that the top rental film last year
    was the Mel Gibson (news) thriller "Signs," which achieved 2.2
    million rentals across both formats.

    It was closely followed by "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" which was
    rented 2.04 million times. In third place was "The Bourne
    Identity" with 1.99 million.

    In sales, the "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" beat "Harry
    Potter (news - web sites) And The Chamber of Secrets" into
    second place last year, selling 3.8 million copies compared
    with 3.3 million.

    Sales data were compiled for the BVA by the UK Official Chart
    Company, while the rental data were collected by entertainment
    research group MRIB.

    Justin, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Justin

    Richard C. Guest

    But DVD is video..............

    At least in the US.

    =====================

    Richard C., Mar 4, 2004

  3. "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > But DVD is video..............
    >
    > At least in the US.
    >
    > =====================

    And I'd say that this article is a little behind the times. You step in to
    any store that carries videos these days and DVD far outsells and has more
    shelf space than VHS. I'd say it's been this way for at least a year if not
    longer. i.e., VHS is dead and people that continue to buy VHS are just
    wasting their money or enjoy living in the past (God only knows why!).

    Michael Black, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Richard C. wrote on [Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:55:15 -0800]:
    > But DVD is video..............
    >
    > At least in the US.

    It's also video in the UK, where the article came from.

    Justin, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Michael Black wrote on [Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:36:20 GMT]:

    > "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> But DVD is video..............
    >>
    >> At least in the US.
    >>
    >> =====================

    > And I'd say that this article is a little behind the times. You step in to
    > any store that carries videos these days and DVD far outsells and has more
    > shelf space than VHS. I'd say it's been this way for at least a year if not
    > longer. i.e., VHS is dead and people that continue to buy VHS are just
    > wasting their money or enjoy living in the past (God only knows why!).

    Ummm, the article was using Pirates as a reference. You can't really get
    much more with the times and have meaningful sales information.

    Justin, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Like CDs to vinyl, CD-R to cassette, and computers to typewriters.

    Tom McCafferty, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Justin

    Richard C. Guest

    "Tom McCafferty" <> wrote in message
    : Like CDs to vinyl, CD-R to cassette, and computers to typewriters.
    :
    ====================
    But when CDs first came out, they did not say "Now availiable on CD and
    Music".
    ===================

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004
  8. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Richard C. wrote on [Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:16:50 -0800]:
    > "Tom McCafferty" <> wrote in message
    >: Like CDs to vinyl, CD-R to cassette, and computers to typewriters.
    > :
    > But when CDs first came out, they did not say "Now availiable on CD and
    > Music".

    hahahaha

    Justin, Mar 5, 2004