    carrying anything but natural? I thought the anti-carbo craze
    would have made it more popular but I guess butter and
    cheese are more protein than carbos?

    rander3127, Oct 24, 2004

  2. >The consistency of popcorn since the elimination of all the
    >independent theatres has improved.

    Eh. It still depends on the theater.

    Some of the best movie theater popcorn I've tried was at a relatively new Regal
    Cinemas theater at the Oveido Marketplace shopping mall in Oveido, Florida.

    The worst: United Artists Searstown 10 at the Searstown mall in Titusville,
    Florida.

    But, real flavors? You've got to be kidding!

    >So what's with popcorn sold at grocery and convenience
    >stores, Blockbuster, etc? The only flavours they have
    >are various stages of fake butter and other things like
    >cheddar, etc. Where the Hell is the natural flavour??

    Like I said. Natural flavor? You've got to be kidding.

    In the theaters, the butter topping is not butter, but artificially flavored
    partially dehydrogenated oil. Popcorn popping oil is usually coconut oil,
    which is a real artery clogger. There are options to have your popcorn
    air-popped, though.

    But, usually, the most natural and healthful popcorn you can have is the kind
    you pop yourself, using olive oil or canola oil for the popping and real melted
    butter for the topping.

    I specified real butter because melted margarine only tends to make popcorn
    soggy, so it's really important that you make sure you use real butter for the
    topping. Although, a trick I use if I had nothing but margarine is to strain
    melted margarine using a coffee filter, which separates the water from what you
    would use for the topping.

    But, real butter is still better. Not only would it be more delicious as a
    topping, but eating saturated fat (butter) is better than eating trans-fatty
    acids (margaine) if you had to choose between these two unhealthy foods (if
    eaten to excess, that is). While saturated fats can cause cholesterol
    problems, trans-fatty acids will cause build up in the arteries over time.

    Remember that butter is creamed milk with salt sometimes added while margarine
    is dehydrogenated oil, usually vegetable oil, with coloring and flavoring added
    to make it taste and look like butter. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 24, 2004

  3. rander3127

    Rich Clark Guest

    If you want great popcorn, get a Whirly-Pop.

    http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppcorn.html (as an example, not an
    endorsement)

    Make 6 quarts of crispy, fluffy corn using a tablespoon or two of canola
    oil, and every last kernel will pop. A little bit of salt and you have a
    healthful, high-fiber, low-fat snack. Top it with anything you want.

    In my half-century of searching for the optimal method of making popcorn,
    this pot is the best I've found.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Oct 24, 2004
  4. >If you want great popcorn, get a Whirly-Pop.

    >http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppcorn.html (as an example, not an
    >endorsement)
    >
    >Make 6 quarts of crispy, fluffy corn using a tablespoon or two of canola
    >oil, and every last kernel will pop. A little bit of salt and you have a
    >healthful, high-fiber, low-fat snack. Top it with anything you want.
    >
    >In my half-century of searching for the optimal method of making popcorn,
    >this pot is the best I've found.
    >
    >RichC

    Thanks for the advice! - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 25, 2004
  5. rander3127

    Mark Spatny Guest

    rander3127, says...
    > So what's with popcorn sold at grocery and convenience
    > stores, Blockbuster, etc?

    How about this...instead of trying to buy pre-flavored microwave
    popcorn, why not make it yourself? Get a pot, some oil, loose kernals,
    and make the popcorn any flavor you want.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 26, 2004
  6. rander3127

    luminos Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    > If you want great popcorn, get a Whirly-Pop.
    >
    > http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppcorn.html (as an example, not an
    > endorsement)
    >
    > Make 6 quarts of crispy, fluffy corn using a tablespoon or two of canola
    > oil, and every last kernel will pop. A little bit of salt and you have a
    > healthful, high-fiber, low-fat snack. Top it with anything you want.
    >
    > In my half-century of searching for the optimal method of making popcorn,
    > this pot is the best I've found.
    >
    > RichC

    At a gathering a few months ago, I made a batch of Whirly Pop with their
    pouches and microwave PopSecret Homestyle. The guests did not which bowel
    was which. Many preferred the microwave homestyle to the whirly pop. And
    the Whirly Pop pouches are full of saturated fat because of the coconut oil.

    luminos, Oct 27, 2004
  7. rander3127

    Tarkus Guest

    On 10/26/2004 9:56:24 PM, luminos wrote:

    > At a gathering a few months ago, I made a batch of Whirly Pop with
    > their pouches and microwave PopSecret Homestyle. The guests did not
    > which bowel was which.

    No offense, but I wouldn't be eating any popcorn from your bowels!
    --
    "It Mu5t Be Found."

    Tarkus, Oct 27, 2004
  8. rander3127

    RichC Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > At a gathering a few months ago, I made a batch of Whirly Pop with their
    > pouches and microwave PopSecret Homestyle. The guests did not which bowel
    > was which. Many preferred the microwave homestyle to the whirly pop. And
    > the Whirly Pop pouches are full of saturated fat because of the coconut oil.

    Long-delayed followup. I said nothing about Whirly-Pop's consumables,
    just their pot. I have no doubt you're right about the WP pouches.

    Use the Whirly-Pop pot with a tablespoon or two of canola oil and a
    half-cup of generic bulk popping corn, which you can buy for less than
    50 cents a pound. Add a little salt. Light, fluffy, no saturated fat
    or cholesterol, and 100% popped.

    RichC

    RichC, Nov 24, 2004
  9. rander3127

    Rtavi Guest

    "RichC" <> wrote in message
    > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> At a gathering a few months ago, I made a batch of Whirly Pop with their
    >> pouches and microwave PopSecret Homestyle. The guests did not which
    >> bowel
    >> was which.

    Does this mean that they had explosive flatulence or they were checking out
    each other's bowels in the dark and got confused?

    ---

    Rtavi, Nov 27, 2004