    Is the solution the same?
    Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.

    Martin
    Quercus Robur, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Quercus Robur

    K3 Guest

    Quercus Robur wrote:
    > I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get
    > Email. If I follow:
    > Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
    > The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
    > "xxxconnect.net"
    > I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I
    > should disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using
    > McAfee AV, which came installed.
    > Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
    > Is the solution the same?
    > Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.
    >
    > Martin

    I just helped a friend with the same problem.

    Although I'm not very familiar with McAfee, I remember that his email
    settings were incorrect in McAfee's configuration.

    Leave his email client configured as 127.0.0.1 and check the POP and SMTP
    server settings in McAfee.

    --
    Kendall F. Stratton III
    Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

    "Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"
    K3, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Quercus Robur

    Winged Guest

    Quercus Robur wrote:
    > I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get Email. If
    > I follow:
    > Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
    > The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
    > "xxxconnect.net"
    > I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I should
    > disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using McAfee AV,
    > which came installed.
    > Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
    > Is the solution the same?
    > Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.
    >
    > Martin

    Hrrmm I have been using Norton for eons and never had the problem you
    describe specifically and you are right to be leery of disabling
    scanning. Is the machine able to resolve the DNS mail server name being
    used? Can you insert the mail server IP address and connect?

    Winged
    Winged, Apr 7, 2006
  4. If I type in the correct server name, it connects to his Email OK. One, two
    or three days later the server name is changed to 127..... and he can no
    longer connect. Virus scan reveals nothing.
    Martin

    Quercus Robur, Apr 7, 2006
  5. I was unable to find where the POP3 and SMTP settings are within McAfee
    software.
    I did disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, but that did not fix the
    problem.
    I guess I am going to talk to his ISP next, but any further suggestions
    would be appreciated.
    Martin

    Quercus Robur, Apr 8, 2006
  6. Quercus Robur

    Guest

    Quercus Robur wrote:
    > I was unable to find where the POP3 and SMTP settings are within McAfee
    > software.
    > I did disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, but that did not fix the
    > problem.
    > I guess I am going to talk to his ISP next, but any further suggestions
    > would be appreciated.
    > Martin

    remove mcaffee and/or norton. install smaller software that plays less
    games.

    Windows has a firewall built in.
    For anti virus, consider a free prog like AVG.
    , Apr 9, 2006