    through I had to press the ctrl key to let it through. Can anyone tell me
    how to reactivate this function as I HATE pop ups.

    Thanks

    bolero, Jan 22, 2004

  2. bolero

    trout Guest

    bolero wrote:

    > My mate mucked about with my laptop. Prior to this my laptop never
    > permitted pop ups to appear whilst i was surfing the net. in order
    > for a pop up to get through I had to press the ctrl key to let it
    > through. Can anyone tell me how to reactivate this function as I
    > HATE pop ups.
    >
    > Thanks

    What pop-up blocker do you use?
    (If it *happens* to be the Google toolbar; click on options; check
    'popup blocker.)
    --
    "To hazard a guess."

    trout, Jan 22, 2004

  3. bolero

    Harrison Guest

    This would have been the function of a third party application of some
    sort. Do you not recall installing a pop-up blocking application?

    At any rate, the Google toolbar does a nice job.
    The free Avant browser does a nicer job, because if can also block
    flash ads and scripts.

    Harrison, Jan 22, 2004
  4. bolero

    Penna Elabi Guest

    "bolero" <> wrote in message news:<bun6i6$ahc$>...

    > My mate mucked about with my laptop. Prior to this my laptop never permitted
    > pop ups to appear whilst i was surfing the net. in order for a pop up to get
    > through I had to press the ctrl key to let it through. Can anyone tell me
    > how to reactivate this function as I HATE pop ups.

    If you have Google Toolbar, press Ctrl and keep it pressed while you
    click the button "Site popups allowed" on Google Toolbar so that the
    text on that button changes to "Blocking popups".

    If that doesn't help, you might have spyware.

    Try CWShredder to remove the possible CoolWebSearch browser hijacker:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html#cwshredder

    Then try to use other spyware/adware removers. Some popular
    spyware/adware removers are for example Ad-aware, Spybot
    Search&Destroy, Spy Sweeper, and PestPatrol. You should update the
    programs before you use them:

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://www.spysweeper.com/
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Internet/Products_and_Tools/Security_Scanners/

    To prevent new spyware to be installed to your computer, update your
    Windows frequently to remove the latest security holes so there's a
    smaller probability to get new spyware to your computer:

    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Then you could install SpywareBlaster, which prevents some of the
    common spyware software from being installed:

    Other tips:

    Use an up-to-date virus scanner and a firewall, and don't go to
    suspicious web pages.

    Penna Elabi, Jan 28, 2004