    spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some sort?
    Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
    problems. grin

    Raymund Donzdorf, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Raymund Donzdorf

    °Mike° Guest

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:13:17 GMT, in
    <xKEFb.9207$>
    Raymund Donzdorf scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Raymund Donzdorf

    Richard Guest

    "Raymund Donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    > I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
    > those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I never
    > had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again. Is there
    > some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I am playing
    > spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some

    sort?
    > Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
    > problems. grin

    You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
    If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
    Simplest way is to rename the folder.
    You'll find it in "c:\program files".
    You still have the program if you want to use it.
    I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
    If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the options
    to totally turn it off when not in use.
    Or rename the files so the system can't find it.

    Richard, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Raymund Donzdorf

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    >"Raymund Donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    >> I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
    >> those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I never
    >> had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again. Is there
    >> some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I am playing
    >> spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some

    >sort?
    >> Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
    >> problems. grin
    >>

    >You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
    >If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
    >Simplest way is to rename the folder.
    >You'll find it in "c:\program files".
    >You still have the program if you want to use it.
    >I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
    >If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the options
    >to totally turn it off when not in use.
    >Or rename the files so the system can't find it.

    Same old st00pid advice.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Raymund Donzdorf

    Richard Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
    > <>
    > Richard scrawled:

    >>"Raymund Donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
    >>> those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I
    >>> never had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again.
    >>>Is there some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I
    >>>am playing spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a
    >>>virus of some

    >>sort?
    >>> Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
    >>> problems. grin
    >>>

    >>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
    >>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
    >>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
    >>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
    >>You still have the program if you want to use it.
    >>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
    >>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
    >>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

    > the system can't find it.

    > Same old st00pid advice.

    Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
    icon anywhere or popups.
    Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

    Richard, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Raymund Donzdorf

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard said:

    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
    > > <>
    > > Richard scrawled:

    > >>"Raymund Donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    > >>sort?
    > >>>

    > >>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
    > >>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
    > >>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
    > >>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
    > >>You still have the program if you want to use it.
    > >>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
    > >>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
    > >>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

    >> the system can't find it.

    > > Same old st00pid advice.

    > Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
    > icon anywhere or popups.
    > Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

    It is, but it's even stoopider when it comes from you, because you just say the
    same thing all the time without finding better solutions.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Raymund Donzdorf

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:38:36 -0600, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
    > > <>
    > > Richard scrawled:

    > >>"Raymund Donzdorf" <> wrote in message
    > >>sort?
    > >>>

    > >>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
    > >>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
    > >>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
    > >>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
    > >>You still have the program if you want to use it.
    > >>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
    > >>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
    > >>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

    >> the system can't find it.

    > > Same old st00pid advice.

    >Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
    >icon anywhere or popups.
    >Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

    It's stoopid advice because; (a) it comes from you; (b) the is absolutely no need
    to rename the folder, or file; (c) your stoopid advice may give other clueless
    morons the idea that searching for things, willy nilly, and renaming or deleting
    them is ok. It is NOT. It is dangerous advice, so please stop giving it.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003