    SPQR
    <<<<
    , Dec 29, 2004

  2. Splibbilla Guest

    in news::

    > I recently installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Immeidately afterward, I
    > updated and ran SpyBot and AdAware -- both of these apps detected and
    > removed several spyware apps that had been inserted onto my computer.
    >
    > I have noticed the absence of pop-up ads and other nonsense that is
    > common on many of the sites I regularly visit. This morning after a
    > week of Firefox I updated and ran SpyWare and AdAware, neither of them
    > found anything.
    >
    > Does this mean that Firefox is blocking all this stuff that Internet
    > Explorer allowed to enter, even though I had ZoneAlarm cranked up to
    > its highest level?

    maybe. i think unauthorized installs are espec likely if you allowed activex to run.

    i use proxomitron - always. it blocks all kinds fo cr@p. but i also set IE to as strict setting as possible.

    it looks good that IE has many settings (seemingly configurable) but i hate that teh settings are so vague.. "what's a "script"?
    VB? JS?

    if you have xp (or 2k?) you cna donwload and run MS's baseline security analyzer blah blah

    > If Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost.

    >And -- the tab
    > feature is great.

    yes, (Ctrl+T) is way better than masses of un-aggreggated windows. Plus, the tabs load *behind* current tab!! so way better...
    :)

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?
    Splibbilla, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Moz Champion Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > in news::
    >

    >>I recently installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Immeidately afterward, I
    >>updated and ran SpyBot and AdAware -- both of these apps detected and
    >>removed several spyware apps that had been inserted onto my computer.
    >>
    >>I have noticed the absence of pop-up ads and other nonsense that is
    >>common on many of the sites I regularly visit. This morning after a
    >>week of Firefox I updated and ran SpyWare and AdAware, neither of them
    >>found anything.
    >>
    >>Does this mean that Firefox is blocking all this stuff that Internet
    >>Explorer allowed to enter, even though I had ZoneAlarm cranked up to
    >>its highest level?

    > maybe. i think unauthorized installs are espec likely if you allowed activex to run.
    >
    > i use proxomitron - always. it blocks all kinds fo cr@p. but i also set IE to as strict setting as possible.
    >
    > it looks good that IE has many settings (seemingly configurable) but i hate that teh settings are so vague.. "what's a "script"?
    > VB? JS?
    >
    > if you have xp (or 2k?) you cna donwload and run MS's baseline security analyzer blah blah
    >

    >>If Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost.

    >>And -- the tab
    >>feature is great.

    > yes, (Ctrl+T) is way better than masses of un-aggreggated windows. Plus, the tabs load *behind* current tab!! so way better...
    > :)

    It depends on what you (or the application) consider 'spyware'. Some
    applications (and users) consider cookies spyware, when they are simply
    navigation aids, so if you block cookies (or restrict them) you may see
    less 'spyware' hits. Cookies are really not 'spyware' in any case.

    Pop-ups by themselves are not spyware, tho of course if you download
    anything from them (dependent on the actual coding) they may result in a
    'spyware' hit.

    As someone noted, it may be the lack of Active-X that is restricting the
    'spyware' hits.

    Personally I run with pop ups enabled and cookies enabled, and am
    totally 100% spyware free (cookies are not spyware)

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Moz Champion Guest

    OT Re: Pop-ups, spyware, and the like

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Splibbilla wrote:
    >
    >> in
    >>

    >>> I recently installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Immeidately afterward, I
    >>> updated and ran SpyBot and AdAware -- both of these apps detected and
    >>> removed several spyware apps that had been inserted onto my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I have noticed the absence of pop-up ads and other nonsense that is
    >>> common on many of the sites I regularly visit. This morning after a
    >>> week of Firefox I updated and ran SpyWare and AdAware, neither of them
    >>> found anything.
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean that Firefox is blocking all this stuff that Internet
    >>> Explorer allowed to enter, even though I had ZoneAlarm cranked up to
    >>> its highest level?

    >> maybe. i think unauthorized installs are espec likely if you allowed
    >> activex to run.
    >> i use proxomitron - always. it blocks all kinds fo cr@p. but i also
    >> set IE to as strict setting as possible.
    >> it looks good that IE has many settings (seemingly configurable) but
    >> i hate that teh settings are so vague.. "what's a "script"? VB? JS?
    >> if you have xp (or 2k?) you cna donwload and run MS's baseline
    >> security analyzer blah blah
    >>
    >>> If Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost.

    >>> And -- the tab
    >>> feature is great.

    >> yes, (Ctrl+T) is way better than masses of un-aggreggated windows.
    >> Plus, the tabs load *behind* current tab!! so way better... :)
    >>

    > It depends on what you (or the application) consider 'spyware'. Some
    > applications (and users) consider cookies spyware, when they are simply
    > navigation aids, so if you block cookies (or restrict them) you may see
    > less 'spyware' hits. Cookies are really not 'spyware' in any case.
    >
    > Pop-ups by themselves are not spyware, tho of course if you download
    > anything from them (dependent on the actual coding) they may result in a
    > 'spyware' hit.
    >
    > As someone noted, it may be the lack of Active-X that is restricting the
    > 'spyware' hits.
    >
    > Personally I run with pop ups enabled and cookies enabled, and am
    > totally 100% spyware free (cookies are not spyware)

    Um, if Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost? WHAT cost?
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 30, 2004