Pop-ups are killing me

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Using Dell Dimension, with Windows XP home edition:

    I Have acquired a several persistant pop up windows that I cannot remove.
    It takes me to
    the window whenever I go to certain URL's and keeps popping up. When I
    close it
    after several times it takes me out of Internet Explorer.

    One window is: http://www.lastxdoor.com/freepics.html.

    I have turned off active scripting and Messenger Service.
    I have run both ad-aware and Spyware.bot, which turned up some 280 spyware
    files,
    but didn't find the ones to which I am referring.

    I have tried Backweb, POW, and about every other pop up killer I could find
    and none of them work.

    I have gone through run>msconfig and deleted all references to this URL,
    as well as regedit. However, after I delete them, they re-write themselves
    and the pop up continues.

    When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
    to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Jerry, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Jerry

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:45:26 GMT, Jerry wrote:

    >Using Dell Dimension, with Windows XP home edition:
    >
    >I Have acquired a several persistant pop up windows that I cannot remove.
    >It takes me to
    >the window whenever I go to certain URL's and keeps popping up. When I
    >close it
    >after several times it takes me out of Internet Explorer.
    >
    >One window is: http://www.lastxdoor.com/freepics.html.
    >
    >I have turned off active scripting and Messenger Service.
    >I have run both ad-aware and Spyware.bot, which turned up some 280 spyware
    >files,
    >but didn't find the ones to which I am referring.
    >
    >I have tried Backweb, POW, and about every other pop up killer I could find
    >and none of them work.
    >
    >I have gone through run>msconfig and deleted all references to this URL,
    >as well as regedit. However, after I delete them, they re-write themselves
    >and the pop up continues.
    >
    >When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
    >to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more than
    one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee. Here's one online:

    There are malware programs (Trojans, worms, etc.) that will specifically hijack
    your browser to porn sites, and which will run in startup, so that even if you
    think you're removed them, they run again each time you reboot or start up.

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000
    Mara, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Jerry

    Steve Guest

    > Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more

    than
    > one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee.

    What's wrong with Norton. OK I haven't got time to read all the reviews, but
    a couple I've just read seem pretty good.
    Steve, Jul 5, 2003
  4. Jerry

    Miggsee Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > > Try running a couple of decent, updated Antivirus programs. As in, more

    > than
    > > one. Also, as in: not Norton or McAfee.
    > >

    > What's wrong with Norton. OK I haven't got time to read all the reviews,

    but
    > a couple I've just read seem pretty good.

    Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all the
    problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t
    Miggsee, Jul 5, 2003
  5. Jerry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... I am said:

    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:51:21 +0100, "Brian H¹©" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> When I called Dell technical support they said the only other option is
    >>> to reformat my hard drive. I believe there must be a better way.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> I believe you should be looking under browser hijacked, and tell the guy at
    >> Dell to apply for a job at McDonalds.
    >> Technical support my arse.

    > Since most of Dell's Tech support is reported to be located in India I
    > don't thing there is a McDonalds option.

    LOL, do you want popadoms with that?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  6. They do have McDonalds in india along with Coke and Exxon.

    BananaPannaPoe, Jul 5, 2003
  7. Jerry

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2003
  8. Jerry

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Miggsee wrote:

    > Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all the
    > problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t

    Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
    95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

    And Norton does not control your PC at all.

    You have been brainwashed...
    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2003
  9. Jerry

    Miggsee Guest

    "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    > Miggsee wrote:
    >

    > > Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all

    the
    > > problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t
    > >

    > Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
    > 95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

    Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
    history that extends back in time.

    > And Norton does not control your PC at all.
    >
    > You have been brainwashed...

    Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.
    Miggsee, Jul 5, 2003
  10. Jerry

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:00:29 -0400, Miggsee wrote:
    > "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Miggsee wrote:
    >>

    >> > Norton controls too much of your PC. It's bloatware. Take a look at all

    > the
    >> > problems it causes in Windows. http://tinyurl.com/g31t
    >> >

    >> Did you even look at the search results? Many references to Win 3.1, Win
    >> 95, NT 4.. And many of the solutions are to upgrade to the proper version.

    > Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
    > history that extends back in time.
    >
    >> And Norton does not control your PC at all.
    >>
    >> You have been brainwashed...

    > Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

    "yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge of these matters.
    Come to think of it, "yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge
    of all matters.

    --
    He also has 'deep seeded' problems
    Jimchip, Jul 5, 2003
  11. Jerry

    paul s Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > BananaPannaPoe wrote:
    >> > Any ideas?

    > Opera 7 - it keeps the lid on pop-ups.

    Yeh Opera is perfectly OK to use on that site. I did get a pointless
    javascript warning 'Warning your browser is not Windows compatible'.

    Opera 7.11 for Linux
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 5, 2003
  12. Jerry

    paul s Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > Using Dell Dimension, with Windows XP home edition:
    >
    > I Have acquired a several persistant pop up windows that I cannot remove.
    > It takes me to
    > the window whenever I go to certain URL's and keeps popping up. When I
    > close it
    > after several times it takes me out of Internet Explorer.
    >
    > One window is: http://www.lastxdoor.com/freepics.html.

    <snipped>

    > Any ideas?

    Dont look at rude pictures. ;-)
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 5, 2003
  13. Jerry

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Miggsee wrote:

    > Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
    > history that extends back in time.

    Because it's been around since Win 3.1. Anything that's been around for
    a long time is going to have a long history. Common sense I'd say.

    >>And Norton does not control your PC at all.
    >>
    >>You have been brainwashed...

    > Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

    Slows down a machine in what way? I've run benchmarks and monitored
    normal use of my PC with and without Norton Utilities installed and
    there is no difference. But I suppose a 1.8GHz processor might have
    something to do with it.
    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2003
  14. Jerry

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2003
  15. I thought all web pages were pop-ups. What's this guy talking about?

    the real TOMMY Tutalidge, Jul 5, 2003
  16. Jerry

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jul 5, 2003
  17. Jerry

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:17:56 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

    >On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:00:29 -0400, Miggsee wrote:
    >> "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >>> You have been brainwashed...

    >> Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

    >"yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge of these matters.
    >Come to think of it, "yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge
    >of all matters.

    This is quite true. I have worked on a number of borked systems whose problem
    was Norton AV registry entries that the program refused to remove at the time it
    was uninstalled; I also remember when Nimda first started hitting servers, and
    the NAV for Gateways identified it as Nimda - and then let it go ahead and
    infect the machines. Norton is slow, it's bloatware, and it's total crap. Right
    up there with McAfee.

    "But so is yugsdrawkcab. Maybe he _should_ run both."

    Mara, Jul 5, 2003
  18. Jerry

    boy wonder Guest

    I use Trend Micro PCillin 2000. 1 yr after upgrading, it starts failing
    again, and then you need the new version to continue. Which AV do you use?

    --
    boy wonder

    boy wonder, Jul 5, 2003
  19. Jerry

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:59:59 -0500, boy wonder wrote:

    >I use Trend Micro PCillin 2000. 1 yr after upgrading, it starts failing
    >again, and then you need the new version to continue. Which AV do you use?

    I use three; the AV that's in Fixit Utilities 4.0 (Fixit is a _wonderful_
    program, and the AV in it is also written by Trend,) F-Prot for DOS, and the
    server version of eTrust, along with the usual spyware utilities, etc. I also
    use the online scanners, occasionally, just for giggles. I check for updates to
    all every day, and run them often, although the chances of my being infected
    with anything are slim to none.

    Mara, Jul 5, 2003
  20. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:17:56
    -0000, Jimchip uttered this:

    >On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:00:29 -0400, Miggsee wrote:
    >> "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    <nothing as usual>

    >>> Miggsee wrote:

    >> Yup, upgrade and pay Norton. That's a LONG list of problems, and a long
    >> history that extends back in time.

    >> Nope, I've tried Norton. It's a system hog, and slows down a machine.

    >"yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge of these matters.
    >Come to think of it, "yugsdrawkcab" is somewhat deficient in his knowledge
    >of all matters.

    yugdedaehkcuf is deficient in everything.

    --
    Including a brain
    William Poaster, Jul 5, 2003