    web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
    info that I might want to see?

    Thanks

    Oxy Moron, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Oxy Moron

    Boomer Guest

    Oxy Moron, <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote:

    > What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups
    > I see on my web searches are generally useless - do many sites
    > use pop ups for important info that I might want to see?
    >
    > Thanks

    Mozilla. :) It's a darn good browser, IMO.
    www.mozilla.org

    Boomer, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Oxy Moron

    Ionizer Guest

    "Oxy Moron" <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on

    my
    > web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for

    important
    > info that I might want to see?

    I've read numerous positive comments about the Google Toolbar in the
    alt.comp.freeware group: http://toolbar.google.com/ I have not personally
    used it, as I have ZA Pro, which features its own ad/popup blocker.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!

    Gale Lynn Veres, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Oxy Moron

    Ionizer Guest

    "Gale Lynn Veres" <> wrote in message
    > Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!

    Thanks, but as I say, my ZA Pro does a nice job of blocking pop-ups. Just
    out of interest though, how does the free "demo" of the product you
    recommend differ from the paid ($29.95) version? Is it time-limited or
    crippled in some way?

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Oxy Moron

    ripper Guest

    I installed the Google toolbar yesterday and I am very pleased with its
    features and performance in blocking popups.

    ripper, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Oxy Moron

    Benzf1 Guest

    panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when u want
    it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost all toolbars
    are spyware. especially yahoo.

    Benzf1, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Oxy Moron

    Ionizer Guest

    "Benzf1" <> wrote in message
    > panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when u

    want
    > it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost all

    toolbars
    > are spyware. especially yahoo.

    On what exactly do you base your statement that "Google Toolbar is spyware?"

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Oxy Moron

    Gimpy Guest

    > What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see

    on my
    > web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for

    important
    > info that I might want to see?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Now you see some dont work & others full of spyware, you might want to

    check http://www.bayden.com/popper/ works great for me & you control
    whay you want blocked

    Gimpy, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Oxy Moron

    Miggsee Guest

    Don't use the advanced features when installing.

    Miggsee, Jan 4, 2004
  11. On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:44 +0000, Oxy Moron wrote:

    > What is the best free pop up blocker?

    Opera.

    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
    > web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
    > info that I might want to see?

    Toggling them back on is just a keystroke and a click away.

    http://opera.com

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 4, 2004
  12. On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:09:11 +0000, Ionizer wrote:

    > "Gale Lynn Veres" <> wrote in message
    >> Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!

    > Thanks, but as I say, my ZA Pro does a nice job of blocking pop-ups. Just
    > out of interest though, how does the free "demo" of the product you
    > recommend differ from the paid ($29.95) version? Is it time-limited or
    > crippled in some way?

    It's not time limited; it's just the lite version. Very popular.

    Can't tell you the specific differences between the two versions -- never
    used the pay version, and no longer use the free version.

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Oxy Moron

    Senti Guest

    Benzf1 did mumble bt9ni2$suv$...

    > panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when
    > u want it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost
    > all toolbars are spyware. especially yahoo.

    No need to worry about spyware with the Google toolbar as long as you don't
    use the "advanced" features...
    --
    ~SF~
    We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and

    Senti, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Oxy Moron

    Sultan Guest

    Oxy Moron wrote in

    > What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see
    > on my web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups
    > for important info that I might want to see?
    >
    > Thanks

    The Google Toolbar does a decent job as well as Popup manager (freeware)
    which only shows as a little "widget" in the browser window.
    http://www.endpopups.com/
    I use both and have been popup free for months.
    enjoy!

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 4, 2004
  15. Oxy Moron

    Sultan Guest

    Benzf1 wrote in news:bt9ni2$suv$:

    > panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when
    > u want it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost
    > all toolbars are spyware. especially yahoo.
    >

    > "Gale Lynn Veres" <> wrote in message
    >> Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!
    >>

    >> "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Oxy Moron" <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > ..

    > on
    >> > my
    >> > important
    >> >
    >> > I've read numerous positive comments about the Google Toolbar in
    >> > the alt.comp.freeware group: http://toolbar.google.com/ I have not

    > personally
    >> > used it, as I have ZA Pro, which features its own ad/popup blocker.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Ian.

    Hogwash. Google will only track sites you visit (annonymously) if you
    tell it to via the advance options. In no way does it try to do anything
    behind your back.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 4, 2004
  16. Oxy Moron

    Daeron Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > Oxy Moron, <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote:

    >> What is the best free pop up blocker?

    Most of these so called pop up blockers just redirect you to sites owned
    by the blockers and report your browsing habits to the marketing
    companies. Get a firewall and watch it light up when you are browsing.

    >> Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I
    >> see on my web searches are generally useless - do many sites use
    >> pop ups for important info that I might want to see?

    >> Thanks

    > Mozilla. :) It's a darn good browser, IMO. www.mozilla.org

    I agree The latest version of the stand alone browser is a dream:
    Check out
    http://ftp34.newaol.com/pub/firebird/releases/0.7/MozillaFirebird-0.7-win32.zip

    This link is to a zipped version. All you have to do is unzip
    it into C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird and create a shortcut on the
    desktop to run it.

    What you get is a small fast browser. With no spyware, no popups and the
    ability to filter adverts. If you want to uninstall then just delete the
    folder.

    This version does *not* install, makes no changes to the registry and
    copies nothing to the Windows folder. So there is no danger of it
    fcuking up your system.

    Most of the config stuff is accessed by typing about:config into the
    address bar. This gives you access to a huge amount of config settings.

    eg setting general.smoothScroll to TRUE switches on smooth scrolling.
    Only usefull on fast machines though.

    It even blocks popups without having to install third party spyware
    blockers. To add to is just edit the userContent.css file.

    Daeron, Jan 5, 2004
  17. Oxy Moron

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Googles FREE toolbar will block pop-ups!

    Robert McHenry, Jan 8, 2004
  19. Oxy Moron

    John Doe Guest

    Hi,

    >What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    >Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
    >web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
    >info that I might want to see?

    http://www.messaging-software.net/popup-killer-software.htm
    Both Popup Stopper & Exit Killer are very popular and do the job.
    John Doe

    John Doe, Jan 8, 2004
  20. "Oxy Moron" <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<cnXJb.137295$>...
    > What is the best free pop up blocker?
    >
    > Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
    > web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
    > info that I might want to see?
    >
    > Thanks

    Very satisified with the Google Toolbar. Free, effective, over 1000
    blocked in the last few months. Turning popups on or off per website
    is a single click.

    I've recommended it to friends and my mother.

    Simon

    http://simonfixmycomputer.flyeronthewire.com

    Simon Browning, Jan 9, 2004