Pop Photo tests Tokina 12-24/4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Tuthill, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    The current (April? 2005) issue of Popular Photography
    contains tests with SQF numbers for the Tamron 200-500 Di
    and (more interesting to DSLR owners) Tokina 12-24/4.

    For only $500, this might be the best wide-zoom for DSLR.
    I did not write down SQF numbers for the Nikon 12-24/4,
    but I think optical quality is similar and that lens costs
    about twice as much.

    The Tokina 12-24/4 can produce A quality 16x enlargements
    and B+ quality 20x enlargements, except at 18mm f/4, where
    it's not quite that good (you need to stop down to f/5.6).
    Performance at 12mm and 24mm is similarly good.

    There was > 1% barrel distortion at 12mm, and a bit at
    18mm and 24mm, but not at all extreme (under 1% IIRC).

    There's also a good test and writeup by Jim Strutz here:

    http://www.photo.net/equipment/tokina/12-24-f4/

    Bill Tuthill, Mar 23, 2005