POP account?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Bill and Margie" <> wrote in message
    >I can send e-mail from my webtv to my puter but cannot send from puter
    > to the webtv LBB. I think I need a POP account

    < snipped >

    I have never used WebTV but can you send / receive email to others ?
    Who have email at Yahoo ? At Google ? At Comcast ? At work ?
    ( different methods of email)
    What would make you think you need a pop account - especially if you do
    not know what it is ?
    WHY do you think so ?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=webtv email&aq=f&oq=

    shows
    http://community-2.webtv.net/IOM/WebTVHelpWebTVEmail/index.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol
    - Bobb -, Oct 13, 2008

  2. I can send e-mail from my webtv to my puter but cannot send from puter
    to the webtv LBB. I think I need a POP account but do not know how or
    where to open one. Can anyone help me with this problem?
    Bill
    Bill and Margie, Oct 14, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Bill and Margie wrote:
    > I can send e-mail from my webtv to my puter but cannot send from puter
    > to the webtv LBB. I think I need a POP account but do not know how or
    > where to open one. Can anyone help me with this problem?
    > Bill

    The question you want to ask, is can you send and receive from the computer,
    to anyone else ? That proves the computer is connected to the
    Internet. Once that is working, then the issue is with the particular
    server you are attempting to send email to.

    +--------+---------------> someone_else_on_the_internet
    | |
    send receive

    Reasons for email transmission to fail would be

    1) Anti-spam server software has processed the message and
    decided it was spam.

    2) Many systems have authentication, where the server sends
    a message back to you, with some instructions to follow,
    and once those instructions are followed, confirming you're
    a human, the mail is accepted and delivered at the receiving
    server.

    3) The receiving server has a "block" on a range of addresses.
    For example, you might not be able to receive email from
    China or Nigeria, if certain servers are known to produce
    mostly spam. Your email server may implement black listing.

    To test your email, set up a Gmail account for yourself. Send
    from the webtv to Gmail. Send from the computer to Gmail.
    If both work, then both your methods are able to get out
    from your provider. Then, send from Gmail to each of the
    systems in turn. You know that Gmail is well connected
    to the Internet, but you won't know whether Gmail is
    trusted by each of your other providers.

    http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

    I had a problem at work, where I was able to send email,
    but I couldn't send email to companies whose first letter
    in the name was the letter "n". Needless to say, it took
    a while to make sense of what was happening (what the magic
    ingredient was), before I could complain to the company
    staff running the email server :) So filtering rules can
    sometimes be an issue, with email that is otherwise working.
    Once the basic interconnection paths have been proven
    (send/receive), there are still possible configuration issues
    that could happen at your ISP.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 15, 2008