    notification area' show "very good" or "excellent" signal strength.

    Any thoughts??

    the Idiot

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Mar 31, 2005

  2. You have not said anything about security - are you using WEP? Regardless of
    that, I found that when using both a DLink router and DLink cards, allowing
    DLink to configure my network instead of Windows worked better - practically
    flawlessly.
    I also think that WPA-PSK works much better than WEP.

    =?Utf-8?B?SFNL?=, Mar 31, 2005

  3. I am using WEP, but I tried disabling it briefly, but no change in percieved
    signal strength. It gets even better because at times the "view wireless
    connections" box will show no signal strength graphically and say I am not
    connected, but then the standard typed information area says I am connected
    and to click the box if I want to _DISCONNECT_ I wish I could take a screen
    shot and send it to Leno.

    When you say "allowing DLink to configure my network, do you just mean using
    the router wizard, or am I missing something obvious?

    the Idiot

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Apr 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    Rob D Guest

    "village idiot" <> wrote in message
    >I am using WEP, but I tried disabling it briefly, but no change in
    >percieved
    > signal strength. It gets even better because at times the "view wireless
    > connections" box will show no signal strength graphically and say I am not
    > connected, but then the standard typed information area says I am
    > connected
    > and to click the box if I want to _DISCONNECT_ I wish I could take a
    > screen
    > shot and send it to Leno.

    You *can* - just use your print screen key / combination.
    BTW, did you see my post regarding using an external antenna? Cured my long
    standing problem similar to yours (and I suspect many others!).

    Rob

    Rob D, Apr 1, 2005
  5. I read throught the external antenna posts, but neither of the laptop cards
    have an antenna input jack. Thanks for the screen shot info. Last night I
    tried disabling the Let windows automatically configure my connection" and
    did it manually. Still a very unreliable connection. What is so frustrating
    about this is that the connections were perfect (almost always "excellent"
    before I tried to set up file and printer sharing. Ever since that point
    I've had poor connection, frequent drops, and several times where I was
    unable to find any service.

    Anyone know how to rollback the "wireless networking" and "network" wizards.
    Since I am still unable to share files or a printer, I'd at least like to
    have my stable inadvidual connections back!

    the (despondant) Idiot

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Apr 1, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=

    >I read throught the external antenna posts, but neither of the laptop cards
    > have an antenna input jack. Thanks for the screen shot info. Last night
    > tried disabling the Let windows automatically configure my connection" and
    > did it manually. Still a very unreliable connection. What is so
    > frustrating
    > about this is that the connections were perfect (almost always "excellent"
    > before I tried to set up file and printer sharing. Ever since that point
    > I've had poor connection, frequent drops, and several times where I was
    > unable to find any service.

    Durr, sorry, didn´t notice about the laptop card bit!
    How is your "network" setup in terms of DHCP / IP addresses etc. Have you
    tried disabling then re enabling the network cards and then running the set
    up wireless network wizard?
    Maybe, if you can give full details of your setup someone may spot a
    possible cause of your problem.

    Rob

    Rob D, Apr 1, 2005
  7. I have a Dlink 614 wireless router. no computer is directly connected to it.
    I have WEP enabled, and the SSID is not broadcast. In the router I can see
    the IP addresses for both the laptops. One laptop has XP pro, the other XP
    home. Both laptops have DLINK 650 wireless cards. I currently have it
    configured for dynamic IP addressing. I can see the network great until I
    connect to it. Then the signal strength becomes "poor" or worse. Again,
    the sys tray monitor of signal strength still shows a strong connection, and
    the little wireless computer icon in the sys tray also says "excellent" but
    not the "view wireless networks" box.

    Anyone????

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlsbGFnZSBpZGlvdA==?=, Apr 1, 2005