Poor signal on other side of the house

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dave, Oct 9, 2009.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Router that I just bought. It's connectd to
    my cable modem on one side of my house. My wife uses her laptop on the
    other side of the house.

    Her signal fluctuates between almost no bars to 2 full bars.

    I read through the stuff on the EZLAN.NET site but I am still not
    certain which is the best way to get a better signal.

    The router came with a 4dBi Omni Antenna. Buffalo sells an 8dBi Antenna
    but I'm reading that while devices farther away may get a better
    connection, devices that are closer may lose signal strength because of
    the way WiFi antennas work.

    I don't have any way of running Cat5 cable anwhere else in the house
    (it's a rental), so setting up a wired AP in the next room isn't an
    option.

    I'd have to set up a wireless AP, which I understand would halve my
    wireless bandwidth.

    Should I just try the $15 antenna first and if that doesn't work, go the
    wireless AP route?

    Would love some advice.

    Dave, Oct 9, 2009

  2. Dave

    Mark Fuller

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    Messages:
    20
    RE: Poor signal on other side of house

    Do you have any 2.4 GHZ devices like cordless phones or baby monitors? They can interfere with a router which is also 2.4 GHZ. If so follow your phone or device instructions to change channels and also change channels in the router. Change them to be as far apart as possible. Like channels 1 and 11.

    Mark Fuller, Oct 9, 2009

  3. Dave

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 9, 4:48 am, Dave <> wrote:
    > I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Router that I just bought.  It's connectd to
    > my cable modem on one side of my house.  My wife uses her laptop on the
    > other side of the house.
    >
    > Her signal fluctuates between almost no bars to 2 full bars.
    >
    > I read through the stuff on the EZLAN.NET site but I am still not
    > certain which is the best way to get a better signal.
    >
    > The router came with a 4dBi Omni Antenna.  Buffalo sells an 8dBi Antenna
    > but I'm reading that while devices farther away may get a better
    > connection, devices that are closer may lose signal strength because of
    > the way WiFi antennas work.
    >
    > I don't have any way of running Cat5 cable anwhere else in the house
    > (it's a rental), so setting up a wired AP in the next room isn't an
    > option.
    >
    > I'd have to set up a wireless AP, which I understand would halve my
    > wireless bandwidth.
    >
    > Should I just try the $15 antenna first and if that doesn't work, go the
    > wireless AP route?
    >
    > Would love some advice.

    Omni-directional antenna will / should boost the range. A directional
    antenna will redirect the signals to the farther system, while cutting
    out the closer system.

    smlunatick, Oct 9, 2009
  4. Dave

    James Egan Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:48:33 -0500, Dave <> wrote:

    >I'd have to set up a wireless AP, which I understand would halve my
    >wireless bandwidth.

    No. It would halve the throughput only to anyone connecting to the
    repeater. Anyone connecting to the main router wouldn't be halved.

    Unless you have a very fast Internet connection you probably wouldn't
    notice the difference with the laptop's lan connection to the router
    being halved.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Oct 9, 2009
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    In article <45347b1f-1ea7-4fcd-993f-fab2cb08f765
    @b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Oct 9, 4:48 am, Dave <> wrote:
    > > I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Router that I just bought.  It's connectd to
    > > my cable modem on one side of my house.  My wife uses her laptop on the
    > > other side of the house.
    > >
    > > Her signal fluctuates between almost no bars to 2 full bars.
    > >
    > > I read through the stuff on the EZLAN.NET site but I am still not
    > > certain which is the best way to get a better signal.
    > >
    > > The router came with a 4dBi Omni Antenna.  Buffalo sells an 8dBi Antenna
    > > but I'm reading that while devices farther away may get a better
    > > connection, devices that are closer may lose signal strength because of
    > > the way WiFi antennas work.
    > >
    > > I don't have any way of running Cat5 cable anwhere else in the house
    > > (it's a rental), so setting up a wired AP in the next room isn't an
    > > option.
    > >
    > > I'd have to set up a wireless AP, which I understand would halve my
    > > wireless bandwidth.
    > >
    > > Should I just try the $15 antenna first and if that doesn't work, go the
    > > wireless AP route?
    > >
    > > Would love some advice.

    > Omni-directional antenna will / should boost the range. A directional
    > antenna will redirect the signals to the farther system, while cutting
    > out the closer system.

    I have a 4 dBi omni on the AP now. Should I try an 8 dBi antenna first
    to see if that helps before spending extra $$ on a repeater?

    Dave, Oct 9, 2009
  6. Dave

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:51:47 -0500, Dave <> wrote:

    >I have a 20mbit connection to the Internet, so I don't know how that
    >compares as "fast".

    Well let's say, operationally speaking, you're very lucky and it's
    half as fast as your 54mbit wireless lan. Halve, the wireless
    throughtput and it's still on a par with your advertised Internet
    speed.

    If you're both on at the same time you share the wireless bandwidth
    and the Internet bandwidth so it's going to go slower whether you use
    a repeater or not.

    >Would I set up the repeater on a different channel? So that it connects
    >to the main AP on one channel but uses another to connect with devices?

    Match the channel on the main router. This is a good tutorial.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

    If you have an old router, perhaps it can be re-configured as a
    repeater using dd-wrt or similar firmware?

    Jim.

    James Egan, Oct 10, 2009
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:48:33 -0500, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Router that I just bought. It's connectd to
    > >my cable modem on one side of my house. My wife uses her laptop on the
    > >other side of the house.
    > >
    > >Her signal fluctuates between almost no bars to 2 full bars.
    > >
    > >I read through the stuff on the EZLAN.NET site but I am still not
    > >certain which is the best way to get a better signal.
    > >
    > >The router came with a 4dBi Omni Antenna. Buffalo sells an 8dBi Antenna
    > >but I'm reading that while devices farther away may get a better
    > >connection, devices that are closer may lose signal strength because of
    > >the way WiFi antennas work.
    > >
    > >I don't have any way of running Cat5 cable anwhere else in the house
    > >(it's a rental), so setting up a wired AP in the next room isn't an
    > >option.
    > >
    > >I'd have to set up a wireless AP, which I understand would halve my
    > >wireless bandwidth.
    > >
    > >Should I just try the $15 antenna first and if that doesn't work, go the
    > >wireless AP route?
    > >
    > >Would love some advice.

    > I then purchased a Hawking Wireless 300-N Range Extender. It's
    > basically a repeater station -- it receives your wirelss signal from
    > your access point and retransmits it.
    >
    > The 300N Range Extender solved my problem.

    Thanks.

    I found an old WiFi AP in the garage and pulled the antenna of it to see
    if it would work on my new AP. Funny thing is.. When I pulled the
    antenna off my new one, I suddenly got a better signal on the other side
    of the house. I put the antenna back on and it dropped again.

    The antenna from the old AP didn't fit, but for now leaving the antenna
    off seems to be working great.... go figure.

    Dave, Oct 22, 2009