Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook, AMD processor, 512 RAM, and XP. I am
    using a Belkin Wirless G router and a Linksys WPC54GS Wireless-G Notebook
    Adapter with SpeedBooster. The problem I constantly have is that I have
    problems connecting, problems with speed, and I fail to pick up available
    networks. At home I have to usually plug in the card and unplug it multiple
    times before it will pick up my router and connect. On rare occasions it
    picks it up right away and connects. It also drops me on occasion. Once I
    am connected, I might as well be using a dial up connection. Even when it
    tells me that I am connected at 54kbps, it almost never does, I still have
    problems loading web pages. If I try and download a anything it moves at the
    speed of dial up everytime and on large files almost always drops the
    connection. When I am out around town I have the same problems picking up
    other networks. My wife has an almost identical computer but hers has a
    built in card. She never has a problem connecting to anything, picking up
    networks, or downloading at high speed. Does anybody have any idea what may
    be causing this or what I can do to fix it.

    I recently had to do a complete reformat due to a system crash. I actually
    thought things would work better because I had fewer programs installed on
    the computer and was better updated on my software but it is exactly the same
    now as it was before.

    Also, I am using both the windows firewall and Norton. I have tried turning
    these off, but did not notice any real difference. It is kind of hard to
    determine if that worked because you can never tell when the computer is
    actually going to pick up the network and connect.

    =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Hi

    It seems that your Client Card is not functioning well.

    Download the latest drivers from Linksys. After installation look into the
    drivers properties (or use the Manufacturer Wireless Utility (MWU), and
    disable the Speed Booster and set it to 802.11g. The Speed Booster works
    only with a Speed Booster Linksys Wireless Router.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 7, 2006

  3. Try:

    1. Get the latest Linksys driver.

    2. If you are using XP's wireless zero to connect, disable it and try the
    Linksys connection utility instead:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821400/en-us

    3. If available, try a different PC Card slot.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jun 7, 2006