    compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

    I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
    group?
    Stuart, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Stuart

    John Tucker Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on
    > the screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure
    > - they look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I
    > transfer them onto my PC.
    >
    > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
    >
    > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice
    > from the group?

    Stuart,

    Your monitor could need calibrating. It's also not unusual to have to do
    some sort of adjustment in PS, PSP, etc. for the images to look their best.

    John
    Texas, USA
    John Tucker, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Stuart

    tbm Guest

    I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
    screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
    look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto my
    PC.

    All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

    I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
    group?

    >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL

    FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

    ---
    tbm, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Stuart

    Chuck Guest

    > >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

    TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
    > FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

    Trollmeter = RED
    Chuck, Jun 10, 2004
  5. "Stuart" <> writes:

    > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

    Is this a change for you? Other cameras required no tweaking? Louise spends
    some quality computer time with most (maybe all, I don't keep track) of the
    images she took on her Rebel. I don't think it's unusual.

    > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
    > group?

    I don't do windows, so I can't begin to give you any help on how to
    determine if your monitor needs to be calibrated nor on how to do it. I'd
    suggest a search on
    monitor calibration
    and see what turns up. It may be that your monitor is at fault. Or maybe
    not. Who can tell?

    Phil Stripling, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Stuart

    Skip M Guest

    Have you tried physically printing them? If the prints look ok, then it's
    your monitor. I don't use the LCD for anything but to check composition, or
    to see if anyone moved. But my D30's screen is pretty useless unless viewed
    from straight on and in moderate to low light.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Stuart

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Stuart" <> stated that:

    >I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
    >screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
    >look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto my
    >PC.

    Be aware that the 300D & 10D have very bright & contrasty LCD panels, so
    you should never rely on them to judge exposure. OTOH, you can trust the
    histogram.

    >All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    >compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
    >
    >I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from the
    >group?

    Yes. Calibrate your monitor. If it's never been calibrated, you'll
    misjudge your processing, & end up with lousy photos.

    Lionel, Jun 10, 2004
  8. Stuart

    Mark B. Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
    > screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
    > look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto

    my
    > PC.
    >
    > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
    >
    > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

    the
    > group?
    >
    > >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

    TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
    > FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

    Seems to me you haven't said anything here. Why are you shouting?

    Mark
    Mark B., Jun 10, 2004
  9. Stuart

    leo Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    > "Stuart" <> writes:
    >
    > > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    > > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.

    > Is this a change for you? Other cameras required no tweaking? Louise

    spends
    > some quality computer time with most (maybe all, I don't keep track) of

    the
    > images she took on her Rebel. I don't think it's unusual.
    >

    > > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

    the
    > > group?

    > I don't do windows, so I can't begin to give you any help on how to
    > determine if your monitor needs to be calibrated nor on how to do it. I'd
    > suggest a search on
    > monitor calibration
    > and see what turns up. It may be that your monitor is at fault. Or maybe
    > not. Who can tell?
    >
    > --
    > Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
    > Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
    > http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

    Here is the guide for calibrating your monitor:
    http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

    DR does tend to underexpose a bit when comparing to other cameras.
    leo, Jun 10, 2004
  10. Stuart

    Alan D-W Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > >SEEMS TO ME THIS IS YET ANOTHER UNHAPPY CANON EOS300D CUSTOMER.WHICH GOES

    TO SHOW WE ALL CAN'T BE WRONG.I REST MY CASE.RGDS TO ALL
    > FROM TBM...SAME SINARIO HERE...

    Who the hell are you?
    Alan D-W, Jun 10, 2004
  11. Stuart

    JIM Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > I recently bought the Canon Rebel (300D). The pictures seem fine on the
    > screen and the histograms seems to indicate a reasonable exposure - they
    > look good on the screen, but very disappointing when I transfer them onto

    my
    > PC.
    >
    > All my images without exception need Adobe Photoshop (elements 2.0 )
    > compensation for brightness and contrast before they look good.
    >
    > I expect something's wrong with my PC display settings. Any advice from

    the
    > group?

    My son has the same rig. Thought the same thought. The 'concensus of
    opinion'(?) is that the parameters (default settings) set in the camera are
    designed to prevent over exposure where you blow out the highlights - and
    once gone are forever lost.

    Nothing wrong with your camera! Probably little wrong with your PC display,
    although calibrating for printing is dependent on how much you like wasting
    photo quality papers;)

    BTW, you can set those parameters to produce brighter images on your PC;
    however, it sounds like you need to spend a lot of quality time with your
    new toy before doing a lot of tweaking! This new thingy, although capable of
    producing p/s mindless human photos, is a SLR, even if digital, and for
    optimum results requires quite a bit of human intellect input;)

    Shoot'em up, with anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love you
    for it!!

    Jim
    JIM, Jun 10, 2004
  12. Post a few examples and we can maybe tell you what went wrong.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 10, 2004
  13. Stuart

    Ed E. Guest

    Stuart,

    Yes, the dRebel does tend to underexpose as some here have said. If your
    monitor & video card settings aren't at fault, learn how to use the exposure
    adjustments. If you're shooting JPEG, then that's in your image editor. If
    you're shooting RAW (which is better for this type of thing), you can adjust
    the exposure before converting it to a JPEG or TIFF.

    Do a little reading on exposure levels and curve adjustments - you'll be
    glad you did.
    Ed E., Jun 11, 2004