Poor Performance

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kevin M, May 29, 2004.

  1. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
    PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE drive
    for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
    performed well for about 8 months.
    Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
    activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my C
    drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This is
    the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware using
    AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and keep
    my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
    uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
    my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no bad
    sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
    key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
    considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean install.
    If you have any ideas, please post.

    Many thanks,
    --
    Kevin

    Kevin M, May 29, 2004

  2. Kevin M

    mcp6453 Guest

    Kevin M wrote:

    > I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
    > PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE drive
    > for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
    > performed well for about 8 months.
    > Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
    > activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my C
    > drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This is
    > the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware using
    > AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and keep
    > my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
    > uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
    > my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no bad
    > sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
    > key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
    > considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean install.
    > If you have any ideas, please post.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --
    > Kevin

    Just for grins, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and do a free
    online virus scan. It found a virus on a computer that Norton missed.

    mcp6453, May 29, 2004

  3. Kevin M

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in

    > key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
    > considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean
    > install. If you have any ideas, please post.

    I have had Norton 2003 and 2004 cause all kinds of weird slowdowns (2004
    caused one machine to lock every other boot or so). Give that a shot.

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  4. Kevin M

    mark mandel Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in message
    > I'm now at a total loss. I have a ASUS A7N8X mb, 2600 XP processor, 512mb
    > PC3200 RAM, WD 74gb (10,000) SATA HD as the main drive C:, another IDE

    drive
    > for data, IDE ZIP drive with Windows XP with SP1 installed. The machine
    > performed well for about 8 months.
    > Recently, the PC has become very sluggish. For example, I hear hard drive
    > activity most of the time. If I go to control panel, and right click on my

    > drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the menu(properties) to appear. This

    is
    > the same performance in Safe mode as well. I have checked for Spyware

    using
    > AdAware and Spybot and have found none. Also, I'm using Norton 2003 and

    keep
    > my definitions up to date. (I did a virus scan and all was well). I did
    > uninstall XP update #811493 after reading that It hurt performance. All of
    > my drivers are up to date including the SATA driver. A scandisk show no

    bad
    > sectors an the HD. Also, I have the minimum loading in the startup (RUN)
    > key. My CPU and MB temps are fine. I don't know what to do next. I
    > considered doing a repair Windows XP install. I hate to do a clean

    install.
    > If you have any ideas, please post.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --
    > Kevin

    I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to do the repair/install. I've
    done it many times on a system very close to what you have and have gotten
    almost consistently good results. The one time that comes to mind where I
    didn't succeed was where I "intentionally" installed Win98 on a PC that
    already had XP on it which I know to be the wrong order to install(was
    merely curious to see what would happen in this case). Predictably enough,
    it created a mess for which the repair/install didn't work out.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, May 29, 2004
  5. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Thanks for the responses. I did the virus check, but nothing was found.
    Also, I when I do a chkdsk, I get bitmap, file, etc. errors. I do the chkdsk
    with the /f switch on the next bootup to fix, however, when I run chkdsk
    again, there are still errors. Seems like it just does not actually fix
    them.

    Kevin M, May 29, 2004
  6. Kevin M

    Thor Guest

    have you checked the task manager/processes list to see if something is
    eating up your CPU usage?

    Thor, May 29, 2004
  7. Kevin M

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for the responses. I did the virus check, but nothing was
    > found. Also, I when I do a chkdsk, I get bitmap, file, etc. errors. I
    > do the chkdsk with the /f switch on the next bootup to fix, however,
    > when I run chkdsk again, there are still errors. Seems like it just
    > does not actually fix them.

    Your hard drive could be going south.

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  8. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Just did. "System Idle Process" is going from 98 - 99 under CPU heading. Is
    this normal?

    Kevin M, May 29, 2004
  9. Kevin M

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in

    > Just did. "System Idle Process" is going from 98 - 99 under CPU
    > heading. Is this normal?

    That means your CPU is 98 to 99% idle (which means < 1% of it is being
    used)

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  10. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    What would a normal value for this be and what could be causing this?

    Thanks

    Kevin M, May 29, 2004
  11. Kevin M

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in news::

    > What would a normal value for this be and what could be causing this?

    A normal value for System Idle Process when you aren't running any other
    applications at the time is 98% to 99%. It isn't stealing CPU time, it is
    showing you how much time your CPU isn't needed for.

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  12. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    10-4. I interpreted that backwards. Anyway, I went into "Disk Management"
    and noticed that my C: drive is listed as Disk 2. My Zip id Disk 0 and a IDE
    drive I use for data is Disk 1. Not sure if this matters or not. In other
    words, would my C: drive need to show up as Disk 0 in Disk Management?

    Kevin M, May 29, 2004
  13. Kevin M

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in news::

    > words, would my C: drive need to show up as Disk 0 in Disk Management?

    No.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 29, 2004
  14. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Thanks so much to everyone. I guess my next step is to try a repair
    reinstall.

    Kevin M, May 30, 2004
  15. Kevin M

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > have you checked the task manager/processes list to see if something is
    > eating up your CPU usage?

    grin. Just checked my son's pc, 5 viruses, 10 back door programs, 300+
    spyware apps.
    I had an anti-virus on it running 24/7 and told him he has to update it
    but you know about how some folks say "talking to a brick wall" :)

    Plato, May 30, 2004
  16. Kevin M

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > have you checked the task manager/processes list to see if something is
    > > eating up your CPU usage?

    > grin. Just checked my son's pc, 5 viruses, 10 back door programs, 300+
    > spyware apps.
    > I had an anti-virus on it running 24/7 and told him he has to update it
    > but you know about how some folks say "talking to a brick wall" :)

    Maybe you should put a self-updating AV program on there, like Avast. It's
    free. He wouldn't have to worry about remembering to update it then. I find
    that it is nearly always like "talking to a brick wall" when you tell
    someone they have to do this update thing every couple of days to be
    reasonably protected. Avast has been my #1 recommendation these days. The
    user just needs to re-register the program every 14 months, for free to keep
    using it.

    Thor, May 30, 2004
  17. Kevin M

    derek / nul Guest

    On 30 May 2004 00:15:09 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> have you checked the task manager/processes list to see if something is
    >> eating up your CPU usage?

    >grin. Just checked my son's pc, 5 viruses, 10 back door programs, 300+
    >spyware apps.
    >I had an anti-virus on it running 24/7 and told him he has to update it
    >but you know about how some folks say "talking to a brick wall" :)

    My son would not have internet for a week!!!

    derek / nul, May 30, 2004