Poor Olympus...dwindling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 15, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
    tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
    dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
    them fade like this.

    http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large
     
    RichA, May 15, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    The Henchman Guest

    Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL. I'm assuming you went
    because you got the free tickets like everyone else?
     
    The Henchman, May 15, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 14, 10:28 pm, "The Henchman" <> wrote:
    > Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL.  I'm assuming you went
    > because you got the free tickets like everyone else?


    Another identity, P&S'er? How many have you got?
     
    RichA, May 15, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    >an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
    >tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
    >dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    >SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    >can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
    >them fade like this.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large



    Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
    wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?

    Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
    button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
    any significant increases in sales. But we are just a tiny speck on
    the map compared to Henry's.
     
    Bruce, May 15, 2011
    #4
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >On 2011-05-15 03:23:14 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>> Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    >>> an "ask to touch" booth like at a store. Horrible! They used to have
    >>> tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc. Now they've
    >>> dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    >>> SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    >>> can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff. Sad to see
    >>> them fade like this.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

    >>
    >>
    >> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
    >> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?
    >>
    >> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
    >> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
    >> any significant increases in sales. But we are just a tiny speck on
    >> the map compared to Henry's.

    >
    >...and they certainly attracted Canada's most notorious cyber, pixel
    >peeping, ring twirling, button pusher.



    I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
    you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare. ;-)
     
    Bruce, May 15, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    The Henchman Guest

    "RichA" wrote in message
    news:...

    On May 14, 10:28 pm, "The Henchman" <> wrote:
    > Another sucker that attends the Henry's show. LOL. I'm assuming you went
    > because you got the free tickets like everyone else?


    Another identity, P&S'er? How many have you got?

    --------------------

    No idea what you're talking about brother....
     
    The Henchman, May 15, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 15, 6:23 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    > >an "ask to touch" booth like at a store.  Horrible!  They used to have
    > >tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc.  Now they've
    > >dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    > >SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    > >can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff.  Sad to see
    > >them fade like this.

    >
    > >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

    >
    > Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
    > wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?
    >
    > Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
    > button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
    > any significant increases in sales.  But we are just a tiny speck on
    > the map compared to Henry's.


    Companies can just fold up shop and ship off internet sites from
    warehouses, but mostly I'll buy from some place that has stock to see
    and I seldom buy without having ever seen a product in person. But
    people living in areas without shops have little choice. I think it
    may not increase your sales but it does definitely allow people to
    compare mfg's different offerings.
     
    RichA, May 16, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 15, 1:11 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >On 2011-05-15 03:23:14 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    > >> RichA <> wrote:
    > >>> Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    > >>> an "ask to touch" booth like at a store.  Horrible!  They used tohave
    > >>> tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc.  Now they've
    > >>> dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    > >>> SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    > >>> can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff.  Sad to see
    > >>> them fade like this.

    >
    > >>>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

    >
    > >> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
    > >> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?

    >
    > >> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
    > >> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
    > >> any significant increases in sales.  But we are just a tiny speck on
    > >> the map compared to Henry's.

    >
    > >...and they certainly attracted Canada's most notorious cyber, pixel
    > >peeping, ring twirling, button pusher.

    >
    > I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
    > you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare.  ;-)


    To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
    the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    people seem to like best.
     
    RichA, May 16, 2011
    #8
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 16, 9:22 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 5/15/11 9:14 PM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > On May 15, 1:11 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >>> On 2011-05-15 03:23:14 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    > >>>> RichA <> wrote:
    > >>>>> Their booth at the Henry's show has DRASTICALLY downsized. Set-up as
    > >>>>> an "ask to touch" booth like at a store.  Horrible!  They used to have
    > >>>>> tethered cameras, models, targets, raised platforms, etc.  Now they've
    > >>>>> dumped DSLRs (note the sad DSLR lens display to the right, one of the
    > >>>>> SGH lenses actually had a dirty front lens!) they seem to think they
    > >>>>> can simply push the micro-4/3rds and rotten P&S stuff.  Sad to see
    > >>>>> them fade like this.

    >
    > >>>>>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134711380/large

    >
    > >>>> Perhaps the downsizing is because Olympus thought the Henry's show
    > >>>> wasn't worth spending a lot of money on?

    >
    > >>>> Our experience of such events is that they attract large numbers of
    > >>>> button pushers, ring twirlers and pixel peepers but don't result in
    > >>>> any significant increases in sales.  But we are just a tiny speck on
    > >>>> the map compared to Henry's.

    >
    > >>> ...and they certainly attracted Canada's most notorious cyber, pixel
    > >>> peeping, ring twirling, button pusher.

    >
    > >> I honestly didn't have Rich in mind when I wrote those words, but
    > >> you're right - he has to be every camera store owner's nightmare.  ;-)

    >
    > > To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years.  That's about
    > > the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    > > people seem to like best.

    >
    > Let me get this straight: You say that you have spent about $8K annually on
    > camera equipment?
    >
    > WHY?!?


    Because it's there.

    > You never seem to have time to use such stuff, you are in here - bitching,
    > ALL THE TIME!


    I have lots of time to use it, and I do. The fact I CAN criticize
    equipment is because I DO use it. Unlike the review sites which have
    equipment sometimes for MONTHS and often miss critical things
    concerning that equipment.
     
    RichA, May 16, 2011
    #9
  10. RichA

    The Henchman Guest

    To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
    the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    people seem to like best.

    ---------------------------


    AH YES. Everyone is a big spender on the internet. Of coarse with a photo
    equipment budget like that I'm sure your property taxes are what $9 000 a
    year? What's your mortgage about $5 000 a month? I'm assuming you've saved
    about $60 000 for your child's education? How's that BMW you are driving.
    those 535i's are sure nice. Because if you are spending about $ 8 or $9 000
    a year on cameras then you do have a $200 000 a year job.

    Not a single person here believes you've spent $40 000 on cameras the last 5
    years and if you have you are the worst photographer known to the industry.
     
    The Henchman, May 17, 2011
    #10
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 16, 9:25 pm, "The Henchman" <> wrote:
    > To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years.  That's about
    > the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    > people seem to like best.
    >
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > AH YES.  Everyone is a big spender on the internet.   Of coarse with a photo
    > equipment budget like that I'm sure your property taxes are what $9 000 a
    > year?  What's your mortgage about $5 000 a month?  I'm assuming you've saved
    > about $60 000 for your child's education?  How's that BMW you are driving.
    > those 535i's are sure nice.  Because if you are spending about $ 8 or $9 000
    > a year on cameras then you do have a $200 000 a year job.
    >
    > Not a single person here believes you've spent $40 000 on cameras the last 5
    > years and if you have you are the worst photographer known to the industry.


    You are a moron. When I was dabbling in high-end audio, I knew
    university students, ostensively broke, who somehow managed to acquire
    $25k audio rigs. Spend a lot on a hobby in order to get exactly what
    you like is normal. There are two people on Dpreview who have bought
    every single camera release of note over the last five years. The one
    fellow's collection numbers over 175. I tend to dump what I don't
    like and get other things, but the spending adds up.
     
    RichA, May 17, 2011
    #11
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/17/2011 9:51 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > On 5/17/11 7:44 AM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On May 16, 9:25 pm, "The Henchman"<> wrote:
    >>> To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
    >>> the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    >>> people seem to like best.
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------------
    >>>
    >>> AH YES. Everyone is a big spender on the internet. Of coarse with a photo
    >>> equipment budget like that I'm sure your property taxes are what $9 000 a
    >>> year? What's your mortgage about $5 000 a month? I'm assuming you've saved
    >>> about $60 000 for your child's education? How's that BMW you are driving.
    >>> those 535i's are sure nice. Because if you are spending about $ 8 or $9 000
    >>> a year on cameras then you do have a $200 000 a year job.
    >>>
    >>> Not a single person here believes you've spent $40 000 on cameras the last 5
    >>> years and if you have you are the worst photographer known to the industry.

    >>
    >> Spend a lot on a hobby in order to get exactly what you like is normal.

    >
    > Except you obviously have never found ANYTHING that you like.
    >
    >

    Not true. He likes bullsh---ting

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, May 17, 2011
    #12
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/18/2011 9:27 AM, Neil Harrington wrote:
    > "The Henchman"<> wrote in message
    > news:iqsipa$16n$...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
    >> the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    >> people seem to like best.
    >>
    >> ---------------------------
    >>
    >>
    >> AH YES. Everyone is a big spender on the internet. Of coarse with a
    >> photo equipment budget like that I'm sure your property taxes are what $9
    >> 000 a year? What's your mortgage about $5 000 a month? I'm assuming
    >> you've saved about $60 000 for your child's education? How's that BMW you
    >> are driving. those 535i's are sure nice. Because if you are spending
    >> about $ 8 or $9 000 a year on cameras then you do have a $200 000 a year
    >> job.

    >
    > That's doesn't necessarily follow. I have often spent over $1,000 a month on
    > photo equipment (this month, for example) and my retirement income isn't
    > anywhere near $200,000 a year.
    >
    > Mostly it depends on what you choose to spend your money on.
    >
    >

    True. I wonder how many digital Blad owners, professionals included,
    earn more than $200,000, or even close to that number.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, May 18, 2011
    #13
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:
    >
    > > On May 16, 9:25 pm, "The Henchman" <> wrote:
    > > To the tune of about $40,000 over the last five years. That's about
    > > the same as 100 soccer mom purchases, the ones most unmotivated sales
    > > people seem to like best.


    <edited for brevity>

    > > Not a single person here believes you've spent $40 000 on cameras
    > > the last 5 years and if you have you are the worst photographer
    > > known to the industry.


    "RichA" should've bought $40,000 worth of crayons and drawing paper,
    in order to produce his pitiful pictures.

    Oh, wait a moment...I think he >did< take that route, judging by the
    abominations he's posted on PBase.

    > You are a moron. When I was dabbling in high-end audio, I knew
    > university students, ostensively broke, who somehow managed to
    > acquire $25k audio rigs.


    "Dabbling" is the right word, for >any< of your worthless efforts.

    > Spend a lot on a hobby in order to get exactly what you like is
    > normal. There are two people on Dpreview who have bought every
    > single camera release of note over the last five years. The one
    > fellow's collection numbers over 175. I tend to dump what I don't
    > like and get other things, but the spending adds up.


    Your day job as a Toronto garbage collector, gives you "loads" of
    experience, with respect to "dumping" things.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, May 27, 2011
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=

    Poor reception, poor connection, and dropped signal

    =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=, Jun 7, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,945
    Doug Sherman [MVP]
    Jun 7, 2006
  2. pomodorojimmy

    6x4 Prints from 4MP olympus poor compared to 35mm scans.

    pomodorojimmy, Sep 2, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    345
    PETERWOJ
    Sep 3, 2004
  3. Rich

    Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

    Rich, May 13, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,956
    Bob Larter
    Jun 11, 2009
  4. Rich

    Poor Olympus can't even make their own

    Rich, Jul 24, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    312
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    250
Loading...

Share This Page