    --
    Lynn
    Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

    Lynn, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Lynn

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Lynn wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    > I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
    > use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
    > of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
    > it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
    > meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
    > I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
    > technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.
    >
    > --
    > Lynn
    > Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

    I would think if you're using no flash indoors and the light isn't strong enough
    then you WILL get blur. The exposure time is longer.... I think :-/

    --
    Paul. (Understand what I've become, it wasn't my design.)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Nov 9, 2003

  3. "Lynn" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    > I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable

    > use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken

    are
    > of no use. Very blurred.

    The shutter speed is probably too slow, making it hard to hold the camera
    steady and meaning that the subjects will be moving in image as well.

    > Is there any way around this.

    Use a higher ISO. However, that reduces the quality of the images. Quite
    severely. If you really want to take indoor volleyball shots without a
    flash, a Canon 300D with the Canon 50mm/1.4 lens would be a lot better. But
    that's US$1200 or so. Ouch.

    > I understand that
    > it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if

    it
    > meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.

    White balance isn't the anwer, but you've got the right idea: if the camera
    doesn't do the right thing for you automagically, you need to learn how it
    works<g>.

    For the basics of photography, http://www.photo.net/ has some good stuff.

    Also check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for basics of digital photography
    (which isn't all that different from film photography).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Lynn

    Bill Guest

    How far are you from the subject? If you're more than 10-12 feet away, I
    doubt that the flash is doing any good anyway. And having the camera in
    flash mode may be causing the shutter to stay open longer to synchronize
    with the flash. Try it without flash, and change the white balance to match
    the lighting....flourescent or whatever. It may help......if there is
    enough ambient light.
    Bill

    Bill, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Lynn

    Leicaddict Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message news:<bol68u$j3q$>...
    > Hi
    > I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    > I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
    > use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
    > of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
    > it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
    > meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
    > I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
    > technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

    Lynn, this is a very basic question. It has been asked and anwered
    probably hundreds of times in this group. I wish you amateurs would
    check the Google archives before you ask these stupid questions. Get
    off your lazy ass and do some homework on your own you dumb **** !

    Leicaddict, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Lynn

    yep Guest

    >Hi
    >I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    >I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
    >use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
    >of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
    >it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
    >meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
    >I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
    >technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

    Lynn, I'm an amateur myself but maybe I have some advice that may
    help. Others are correct in pointing out that the shutter speed is
    probably very slow causing camera shake. The reason is that you are
    taking the picture in a dark setting correct? The camera thinks it's
    dark so slows the shutter. But if I'm also correct (about squash), the
    players themselves are in a very bright light setting, so the camera
    is being fooled. Take it off Auto, and set the shutter speeds to
    faster settings and see what your results are like. You can also try
    increasing the ISO. Although this can cause noisy/grainy pictures some
    cameras are better at this than others. A grainy picture is also MUCH
    better looking than a blurry picture. You can also try increasing the
    aperture setting, but this will cause all other objects other than the
    one you are focusing on to look blurry - but at least your main
    subject will look good.

    Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

    yep, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Lynn

    Alan Browne Guest

    _____________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do not |
    / O O\__ | feed the |
    / \ | Trolls |
    / \ \|_____________________|
    / _ \ \ ||
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ | _||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | | --|
    | | | |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ | ||
    / _ \\ | / `'
    * / \_ /- | | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    Alan Browne, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    "yep" <> wrote in message
    > >Hi
    > >I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one

    aspect.
    > >I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable

    > >use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken

    are
    > >of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand

    that
    > >it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if

    it
    > >meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the

    settings.
    > >I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know

    enough
    > >technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

    > Lynn, I'm an amateur myself but maybe I have some advice that may
    > help. Others are correct in pointing out that the shutter speed is
    > probably very slow causing camera shake. The reason is that you are
    > taking the picture in a dark setting correct? The camera thinks it's
    > dark so slows the shutter. But if I'm also correct (about squash), the
    > players themselves are in a very bright light setting, so the camera
    > is being fooled. Take it off Auto, and set the shutter speeds to
    > faster settings and see what your results are like. You can also try
    > increasing the ISO. Although this can cause noisy/grainy pictures some
    > cameras are better at this than others. A grainy picture is also MUCH
    > better looking than a blurry picture. You can also try increasing the
    > aperture setting, but this will cause all other objects other than the
    > one you are focusing on to look blurry - but at least your main
    > subject will look good.
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

    Thanks for your reply and for trying to help. I think I am right in saying
    I am not able to change the ISO settings or the Aperture with this camera
    which is why I was wondering if anybody had got around this problem with
    this particular camera. I think it is probably meant for people like me who
    usually use the camera on Auto but I must say I do not consider myself dumb,
    I don't think I need to qualify who the 'dumb' people are!!

    Lynn, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Lynn

    JK Guest

    Lynn wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    > I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
    > use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
    > of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this.

    Yes. Buy a Digital Rebel or other digital slr, and get fast lenses(those
    that let plenty of light through) for it. A less expensive choice would be to
    buy a Sony F717.

    JK, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Lynn

    Mark Johnson Guest

    JK <> wrote:

    >Lynn wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
    >> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
    >> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
    >> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this.

    >Yes. Buy a Digital Rebel or other digital slr

    That's what, $1200-1400 for a couple of lenses and the body? 'street
    price'.

    >that let plenty of light through) for it. A less expensive choice would be to
    >buy a Sony F717.

    I tried getting some shots at an indoor rodeo, recently. I wish I'd
    had the C5050 from Olympus, that I just got. It shows a 1.8 lens,
    so-called 'super-bright'. I wonder if it could have captured that fast
    an action, like bucking horses or bulls, under dim lighting, without
    flash. I don't know. You should have seen the flashes used by the pro
    photographers hired for the event. They could have lit the arena from
    one end to the other.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Lynn

    JK Guest

    The lens on the C5050 is only a 3x zoom, and only goes to 105mm equivalent.
    The Sony f717 has a 5x zoom that is 38mm-190mm equivalent.

    JK, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Lynn

    Mark Johnson Guest

    JK <> wrote:

    >The lens on the C5050 is only a 3x zoom, and only goes to 105mm equivalent.
    >The Sony f717 has a 5x zoom that is 38mm-190mm equivalent.

    But the thing was about low light. And the 5050 can have a pretty wide
    shutter. So if the action is very fast, you might be able to use
    enough speed to avoid much blurring, if not all, in RAW. Otherwise,
    one could risk a jpg in interpolated zoom, which with a teleconverter
    would get you 20-30x zoom, but then also face the problems of both
    interpolation and jpg.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 8, 2003
  13. Lynn

    JK Guest