    sped up - back to normal speed

    Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??

    Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Grant Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:fnWAf.19533$...
    >I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
    >very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
    >Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
    >not even a third the way through writing
    >
    > Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
    > i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
    > and 1-2 mins later it would start again
    >

    > I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
    > cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
    > and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
    >

    > Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    > Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
    > bad

    Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
    instead of Ultra DMA.
    Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
    Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings

    Grant, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Grant wrote:
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
    >> very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
    >> Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
    >> not even a third the way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
    >> i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
    >> and 1-2 mins later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
    >> cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
    >> and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
    >> bad

    > Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
    > instead of Ultra DMA.
    > Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
    > Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings

    Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
    (hard drive)

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    > very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    > down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    > way through writing
    >
    > Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    > writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    > later it would start again
    >

    > I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    > the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    > sped up - back to normal speed
    >

    > Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    > Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
    the backgoround. Just a thought.

    Gordon, Jan 23, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    >> way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    >> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    >> later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    >> sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
    > the backgoround. Just a thought.

    There are no programs on that hard drive.. Just a bunch of mp3s

    the performance is consistantly bad.. straight after a reboot its the
    same as after ive used the machine for anything

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  6. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    >> way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    >> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    >> later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    >> sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
    > the backgoround. Just a thought.

    I will however double check for malware on the system

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Grant wrote:
    >> "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
    >>> very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
    >>> Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
    >>> not even a third the way through writing
    >>>
    >>> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
    >>> i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
    >>> and 1-2 mins later it would start again
    >>>

    >>> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
    >>> cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
    >>> and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
    >>>

    >>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>>
    >>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
    >>> bad

    >> Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
    >> instead of Ultra DMA.
    >> Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
    >> Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings
    >>

    > Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
    > (hard drive)

    IDE timing fault with the mp3 drive? Can you try it as primary slave? See if
    it slows down the main HDD. Maybe the HDD is borked.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Andrew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Andrew <> wrote in news:fnWAf.19533$vH5.907539
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    > Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    Master /slave or Cable Select. Check the jumpers and positions of the
    devices on the cable. Check the cable by swapping it out with a known good
    one.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 23, 2006
  9. Andrew

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    >way through writing
    >
    >Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    >writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    >later it would start again
    >

    >I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    >sped up - back to normal speed
    >

    >Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    >Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    How many drives do you have? Three?

    DVD writers work best when jumpered and connected as Master. Best
    have the hard drives on the first channel and the DVD writer on the
    second channel.

    GraB, Jan 23, 2006
  10. Andrew wrote:
    > I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    > very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    > down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    > way through writing
    >
    > Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    > writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    > later it would start again
    >

    > I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    > the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    > sped up - back to normal speed
    >

    > Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    > Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    Check that the drive running the buffer space and any temp files for the writer
    program is not full or being used excessively by some other application

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jan 23, 2006
  11. Andrew

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    > very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    > down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    > way through writing
    >
    > Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    > writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    > later it would start again
    >

    > I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    > the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    > sped up - back to normal speed
    >

    > Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >
    > Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    Assumption one

    using WinXP

    Assumption two

    data errors

    Win XP if it gets data errors It will change the dma settings for the
    ide channels. When I set this machine up things went bad due to a neer
    shot IDE cable. the fun and games of getting DMA working! in the eng
    google came up with the answer. it for me was uninstalling the IDE
    primary and secondary and letting windows sort its self out on re boot

    Robert Cooze, Jan 23, 2006
  12. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Grant wrote:
    >>> "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
    >>> instead of Ultra DMA.
    >>> Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
    >>> Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings
    >>>

    >> Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
    >> (hard drive)

    > IDE timing fault with the mp3 drive? Can you try it as primary slave? See if
    > it slows down the main HDD. Maybe the HDD is borked.

    Its currently slaved off the OS drive and does not appear to have
    affected the running of the computer

    Dvd writer performance goes back to normal then - but only when that
    hard drive is slaved with the OS drive

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  13. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Andrew <> wrote in news:fnWAf.19533$vH5.907539
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > Master /slave or Cable Select. Check the jumpers and positions of the
    > devices on the cable. Check the cable by swapping it out with a known good
    > one.

    Dvd writer is master
    Hard drive is slave

    Ive swapped the cable with no difference

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  14. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
    >> way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
    >> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
    >> later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
    >> sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > How many drives do you have? Three?
    >
    > DVD writers work best when jumpered and connected as Master. Best
    > have the hard drives on the first channel and the DVD writer on the
    > second channel.

    Three hard drives and one dvd writer

    Ive currently unplugged the slave drive off the primary channel and put
    the mp3 drive onto that and now the dvd drive is by its self and is happy

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  15. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third
    >> the way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i
    >> start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2
    >> mins later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd
    >> writer sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > Check that the drive running the buffer space and any temp files for the
    > writer program is not full or being used excessively by some other
    > application

    Another thing to note - The mp3 drive is very full... will that make any
    differnce?

    The buffer space for nero would be on the C drive right?

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  16. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
    >> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
    >> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third
    >> the way through writing
    >>
    >> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i
    >> start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2
    >> mins later it would start again
    >>

    >> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
    >> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd
    >> writer sped up - back to normal speed
    >>

    >> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>
    >> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    > Assumption one
    >
    > using WinXP
    >
    > Assumption two
    >
    > data errors
    >

    > Win XP if it gets data errors It will change the dma settings for the
    > ide channels. When I set this machine up things went bad due to a neer
    > shot IDE cable. the fun and games of getting DMA working! in the eng
    > google came up with the answer. it for me was uninstalling the IDE
    > primary and secondary and letting windows sort its self out on re boot

    I could try re installing the chipset/ide drivers - During the burn i
    have checked dma settings and they have not changed

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  17. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:

    >>> Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
    >>> (hard drive)

    >> IDE timing fault with the mp3 drive? Can you try it as primary
    >> slave? See if it slows down the main HDD. Maybe the HDD is borked.

    > Its currently slaved off the OS drive and does not appear to have
    > affected the running of the computer
    >
    > Dvd writer performance goes back to normal then - but only when that
    > hard drive is slaved with the OS drive

    But how is OS responsiveness? In short, does that mp3 drive affect the
    Primay master in a similar way to which it affected the DVD-RW?

    Maybe try a before and after HDD test on the primary master. (ATTO disk
    benchmark is a v.small download and should suffice for this).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2006
  18. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> IDE timing fault with the mp3 drive? Can you try it as primary
    >>> slave? See if it slows down the main HDD. Maybe the HDD is borked.

    >> Its currently slaved off the OS drive and does not appear to have
    >> affected the running of the computer
    >>
    >> Dvd writer performance goes back to normal then - but only when that
    >> hard drive is slaved with the OS drive

    > But how is OS responsiveness? In short, does that mp3 drive affect the
    > Primay master in a similar way to which it affected the DVD-RW?
    >
    > Maybe try a before and after HDD test on the primary master. (ATTO disk
    > benchmark is a v.small download and should suffice for this).

    I havnt noticed anything but i will give the before/after test a run

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006
  19. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> Andrew <> wrote in
    >> news:fnWAf.19533$vH5.907539 @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >>
    >>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
    >>>
    >>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

    >> Master /slave or Cable Select. Check the jumpers and positions of
    >> the devices on the cable. Check the cable by swapping it out with a
    >> known good one.
    >>

    > Dvd writer is master
    > Hard drive is slave
    >
    > Ive swapped the cable with no difference

    Good troubleshooting technique. You know that modern DVD-RW's need an 80
    wire cable? (Sorry if this has already been covered).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2006
  20. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>> Andrew <> wrote in
    >>> news:fnWAf.19533$vH5.907539 @news.xtra.co.nz:

    >>> Master /slave or Cable Select. Check the jumpers and positions of
    >>> the devices on the cable. Check the cable by swapping it out with a
    >>> known good one.
    >>>

    >> Dvd writer is master
    >> Hard drive is slave
    >>
    >> Ive swapped the cable with no difference

    > Good troubleshooting technique. You know that modern DVD-RW's need an 80
    > wire cable? (Sorry if this has already been covered).

    Yeap

    I had a brand new 80 wire cable which i put in - unforntatly no difference

    Thanks for all your suggestions though :)

    Andrew, Jan 23, 2006