    is off.

    Are there specific memory settings or CPU settings needed to optimize the
    server?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVib3JhaA==?=, Jun 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVib3JhaA==?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    "deborah" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    :I have windows 2003 Ent x64 on a server with 2 Xeon 64-bit single
    core MPs.
    : SQL Server is installed. Anything I do on the server, CPU spikes
    and no
    : memory is being used. 16Gb of memory is installed, no spike in I/O
    or disk
    : activity. I set SQL to use minimum 4Gb and nothing happened. AWE
    is off, PAE
    : is off.
    :
    : Are there specific memory settings or CPU settings needed to
    optimize the
    : server?

    SQL ???? - 2k or 2k5? Do you have the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)
    version of the SQL server installed? On the processors, is
    Hyperthreading on or off.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your friend!
    http://www.google.com
    Admiral Q, Jun 23, 2006

  3. SQL 2005 Ent 64 bit. Hyperthreading off. This behavior happens even when SQL
    service is stopped and I run just about anything.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVib3JhaA==?=, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Hello Deborah,
    Run taskmgr.
    Look under processes.
    Sort by CPU and see what processes are taking the most CPU.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?ZGVib3JhaA==?= <>
    <Subject: Re: poor cpu performance and little memory use in W2003x64
    <Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:31:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <"Admiral Q" wrote:
    <
    <> "deborah" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <> :I have windows 2003 Ent x64 on a server with 2 Xeon 64-bit single
    <> core MPs.
    <> : SQL Server is installed. Anything I do on the server, CPU spikes
    <> and no
    <> : memory is being used. 16Gb of memory is installed, no spike in I/O
    <> or disk
    <> : activity. I set SQL to use minimum 4Gb and nothing happened. AWE
    <> is off, PAE
    <> : is off.
    <> :
    <> : Are there specific memory settings or CPU settings needed to
    <> optimize the
    <> : server?
    <>
    <>
    <> SQL ???? - 2k or 2k5? Do you have the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)
    <> version of the SQL server installed? On the processors, is
    <> Hyperthreading on or off.
    <>
    <> --
    <>
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 25, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVib3JhaA==?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    : "Admiral Q" wrote:
    :
    : > "deborah" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > :I have windows 2003 Ent x64 on a server with 2 Xeon 64-bit
    single
    : > core MPs.
    : > : SQL Server is installed. Anything I do on the server, CPU
    spikes
    : > and no
    : > : memory is being used. 16Gb of memory is installed, no spike in
    I/O
    : > or disk
    : > : activity. I set SQL to use minimum 4Gb and nothing happened.
    AWE
    : > is off, PAE
    : > : is off.
    : > :
    : > : Are there specific memory settings or CPU settings needed to
    : > optimize the
    : > : server?
    : >
    : >
    : > SQL ???? - 2k or 2k5? Do you have the x86 (32-bit) or x64
    (64-bit)
    : > version of the SQL server installed? On the processors, is
    : > Hyperthreading on or off.
    : >
    : > --
    : >
    : >
    : > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    : >
    : > Google is your friend!
    : > http://www.google.com
    : >
    : >
    : >

    In addition to what Darrell mentions to check out, additionally
    (although it may not apply), when I rolled out a new virus package
    with a resident virus shield/scanner, initially I had it set to scan
    every file, all the fine, regardless of whether the file checksum
    had changed or not - thus a lot of my CPU was spent scanning all
    files, until I reduced it to files where only they had been
    changed/updated or new. Then things simmered down to normal.

    Admiral Q, Jun 28, 2006