    By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

    Nighthawk, Jul 24, 2009

  2. Nighthawk

    Matty F Guest

    On Jul 25, 1:35 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
    > kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    > difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    > but OK during the day.
    >
    > By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    > Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    > 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

    I just got: download 4551 kbps upload 134 kbps on Xtra.
    It's been a bit slow recently and the phone line's been very noisy.
    While checking the wiring connections, one wire with a green blob on
    it fell apart completely and the phone went dead. However the
    broadband kept working with just the one wire connected.

    Matty F, Jul 25, 2009

  3. Nighthawk

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 25, 1:25 pm, "Trueone" <> wrote:
    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    > >A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
    > > kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill.  He says it is
    > > difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    > > but OK during the day.

    > > By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    > > Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    > > 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

    > I wish I got that all the time.  On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
    > download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

    8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

    Much better than during the school holidays :p

    Simon, Jul 25, 2009
  4. Nighthawk

    EMB Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 1:25 pm, "Trueone" <> wrote:
    >> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
    >>> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    >>> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    >>> but OK during the day.
    >>> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    >>> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    >>> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

    >> I wish I got that all the time. On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
    >> download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

    > 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.
    >
    > Much better than during the school holidays :p

    12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical. Earlier this
    evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

    EMB, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Nighthawk

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 25, 7:30 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Simon wrote:
    > > On Jul 25, 1:25 pm, "Trueone" <> wrote:
    > >> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    > >> I wish I got that all the time.  On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
    > >> download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

    > > 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

    > > Much better than during the school holidays :p

    > 12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical.  Earlier this
    > evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

    I wouldn't say that 12668kbps down-stream is typical; you're pretty
    lucky to have received that benchmark in the real-world. My connect is
    12065kbps at the moment, but I've never managed to achieve near that
    on the benchmark tests.

    Simon, Jul 26, 2009
  6. Nighthawk

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 26, 11:06 am, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 7:30 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >

    > > Simon wrote:

    > > > 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

    > > > Much better than during the school holidays :p

    > > 12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical.  Earlier this
    > > evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

    > I wouldn't say that 12668kbps down-stream is typical; you're pretty
    > lucky to have received that benchmark in the real-world. My connect is
    > 12065kbps at the moment, but I've never managed to achieve near that
    > on the benchmark tests.

    Actually I just realised that it may have more to do with sample-set
    bias.... You're probably right EMB!

    Simon, Jul 26, 2009
  7. Nighthawk

    EMB Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > Actually I just realised that it may have more to do with sample-set
    > bias.... You're probably right EMB!

    Maybe I should make that "fairly typical" for Xtra customers who have
    been cabinetised with fibre backhaul, but it applies to most of the
    dozen or so Xtra connections I deal with regularly.

    EMB, Jul 26, 2009
  8. Nighthawk

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
    > kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    > difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    > but OK during the day.
    >
    > By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    > Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    > 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

    more info required.

    Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National? ;-)

    Gordon, Jul 26, 2009
  9. Nighthawk

    Murray Symon Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
    >> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    >> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    >> but OK during the day.
    >>
    >> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    >> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    >> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.
    >>

    > more info required.
    >
    > Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National? ;-)

    They had an old plan that was 256K / unlimited data (no cap).
    I too was on that until recently (useful with 3 teenagers at home).

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Jul 26, 2009
  10. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On 26 Jul 2009 04:39:56 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
    >> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    >> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    >> but OK during the day.
    >>
    >> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    >> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    >> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.
    >>

    >more info required.
    >
    >Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National? ;-)

    More info? No, I didn't vote National.

    I had been on IHUG full speed but when I switched to Slingshot I
    thought I would try the 256k and 25GB deal which proved to be adequate
    for my needs. They recently offered to upgrade me to full speed for
    an extra $5/month without changing anything else, I got to keep the
    data cap. It has been much faster than what I had on IHUG, which
    fastest test gave 2862 kbps down.

    Nighthawk, Jul 26, 2009
  11. Nighthawk

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Trueone" <> wrote in message

    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >>A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
    >> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
    >> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
    >> but OK during the day.
    >>
    >> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
    >> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
    >> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.
    >>

    > I wish I got that all the time. On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
    > download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

    4788 and 140

    Wish I could get anything like that (or even often a response!) using
    eternal-september.org
    I can click on nz.comp and then 3 minutes later get the server not responded
    msg. after 3-4 times of clicking "wait" I'll get the latest headers.

    Clicking on a header to download the message body can take anywhere between
    instantly, 20 seconds and not at all.
    Just me?

    Jack Spratt, Jul 28, 2009
  12. Nighthawk

    EMB Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:

    > Wish I could get anything like that (or even often a response!) using
    > eternal-september.org
    > I can click on nz.comp and then 3 minutes later get the server not
    > responded msg. after 3-4 times of clicking "wait" I'll get the latest
    > headers.
    >
    > Clicking on a header to download the message body can take anywhere
    > between instantly, 20 seconds and not at all.
    > Just me?

    Sounds like it. eternal-september works fine from 3 different Xtra
    connections I look after, and is currently working fine for SWMBO.

    EMB, Jul 28, 2009
  13. Nighthawk

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:h4mcbm$f6d$...
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    >> Wish I could get anything like that (or even often a response!) using
    >> eternal-september.org
    >> I can click on nz.comp and then 3 minutes later get the server not
    >> responded msg. after 3-4 times of clicking "wait" I'll get the latest
    >> headers.
    >>
    >> Clicking on a header to download the message body can take anywhere
    >> between instantly, 20 seconds and not at all.
    >> Just me?

    > Sounds like it. eternal-september works fine from 3 different Xtra
    > connections I look after, and is currently working fine for SWMBO.

    Not sure why this (and only this on this connection) would be so slow.
    news.eternal-september.org and port 119
    Nothing else, I can see, to change/check.

    Took 2 minutes and 1 click of "wait" to the 'hasn't responded' dialogue to
    get your reply

    Jack Spratt, Jul 29, 2009
  14. Nighthawk

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message news:h4mcbm$f6d$...
    >> Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wish I could get anything like that (or even often a response!) using
    >>> eternal-september.org
    >>> I can click on nz.comp and then 3 minutes later get the server not
    >>> responded msg. after 3-4 times of clicking "wait" I'll get the latest
    >>> headers.
    >>>
    >>> Clicking on a header to download the message body can take anywhere
    >>> between instantly, 20 seconds and not at all.
    >>> Just me?

    >> Sounds like it. eternal-september works fine from 3 different Xtra
    >> connections I look after, and is currently working fine for SWMBO.

    > Not sure why this (and only this on this connection) would be so slow.
    > news.eternal-september.org and port 119
    > Nothing else, I can see, to change/check.
    >
    > Took 2 minutes and 1 click of "wait" to the 'hasn't responded' dialogue to
    > get your reply

    and since then d/l headers and messages have been almost instant.
    It seems to be sporadic but frequent enough to make it a PITA

    Jack Spratt, Jul 29, 2009