Poor 2D performance with increased screen resolution.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alpine Dragon, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
    notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
    visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
    It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
    often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
    video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
    particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
    smoother.

    In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
    running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...

    Intel PIII 550MHz
    PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
    is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
    performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?

    Thanks.

    Alpine Dragon, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Alpine Dragon

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
    > notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
    > visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
    > It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
    > often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
    > video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
    > particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
    > smoother.
    >
    > In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
    > running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...
    >
    > Intel PIII 550MHz
    > PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    > 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM
    >
    > What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
    > is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
    > performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?

    Amd your operating system is?

    I suggest running adaware and spybot search and destroy.. You may be
    fulla spyware and/or trojans.

    Try another web browser...

    ac, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Alpine Dragon

    K & S Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:12:47 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    <> wrote:

    >Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
    >notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
    >visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
    >It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
    >often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
    >video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
    >particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
    >smoother.
    >
    >In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
    >running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...
    >
    >Intel PIII 550MHz
    >PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >512MB PC-100 SD-RAM
    >
    >What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
    >is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
    >performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?
    >

    >Thanks.

    Upgrade your system its way way out of date..

    K & S, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Alpine Dragon

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:44:18 +1300, K & S
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:12:47 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
    >>notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
    >>visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
    >>It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
    >>often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
    >>video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
    >>particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
    >>smoother.
    >>
    >>In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
    >>running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...
    >>
    >>Intel PIII 550MHz
    >>PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >>512MB PC-100 SD-RAM
    >>
    >>What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
    >>is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
    >>performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?
    >>

    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >Upgrade your system its way way out of date..

    Not everyone needs a V8 Turbo to do the shopping.

    GraB, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Alpine Dragon

    K & S Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:57:42 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:44:18 +1300, K & S
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:12:47 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
    >>>notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
    >>>visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
    >>>It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
    >>>often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
    >>>video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
    >>>particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
    >>>smoother.
    >>>
    >>>In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
    >>>running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...
    >>>
    >>>Intel PIII 550MHz
    >>>PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >>>512MB PC-100 SD-RAM
    >>>
    >>>What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
    >>>is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
    >>>performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?
    >>>

    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Upgrade your system its way way out of date..
    >>

    >Not everyone needs a V8 Turbo to do the shopping.

    But you need some Grunt to run animated 3D Graphics, one of his biggest
    problems is his Graphic cards, but I don't thing the new 1.5v cards will work
    in a old MoB o..

    That is why you need to update most of your system..

    It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.

    K & S, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Alpine Dragon

    K & S Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:06:32 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    <> wrote:

    >"Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Intel PIII 550MHz
    >> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    >Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
    >I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally done
    >every 2-3 weeks)
    >
    >The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
    >
    >What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system with a
    >new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D Performance, by
    >replacing the TNT2 with another video card than perhaps I can delay for
    >awhile and get the new system later on 2nd half of this year instead.

    I would say that the PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB. does not support that
    screen mode..

    K & S, Jan 13, 2004

    Alpine Dragon, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Alpine Dragon

    Fuel Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:06:32 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    <> scribbled:

    >"Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Intel PIII 550MHz
    >> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    >Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
    >I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally done
    >every 2-3 weeks)
    >
    >The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
    >
    >What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system with a
    >new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D Performance, by
    >replacing the TNT2 with another video card than perhaps I can delay for
    >awhile and get the new system later on 2nd half of this year instead.

    What colour bit-rate is it running at on 1280x1024? I notice on some
    cards, it will only do that resolution at 16 bit, and everything below
    at 32 bit.

    Fuel, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Alpine Dragon

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Intel PIII 550MHz
    >> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    >Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
    >I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally done
    >every 2-3 weeks)
    >
    >The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
    >
    >What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system with a
    >new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D Performance, by
    >replacing the TNT2 with another video card than perhaps I can delay for
    >awhile and get the new system later on 2nd half of this year instead.

    What colour depth? What is it like at 16-bit? How recent is the
    driver? AGP or PCI?

    GraB, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Alpine Dragon

    GraB Guest

    >>>Upgrade your system its way way out of date..
    >>>

    >>Not everyone needs a V8 Turbo to do the shopping.

    >But you need some Grunt to run animated 3D Graphics, one of his biggest
    >problems is his Graphic cards, but I don't thing the new 1.5v cards will work
    >in a old MoB o..
    >
    >That is why you need to update most of your system..
    >
    >It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.

    He might be like me. I have no need of 3D graphics, having no 3D
    games. My 2D performance is more than enough. DVD playback is
    flawless with my slightly out-of-date Radeon 7500 card.

    GraB, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Alpine Dragon

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:32:28 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:06:32 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>"Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Intel PIII 550MHz
    >>> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >>> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    >>Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
    >>I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally done
    >>every 2-3 weeks)
    >>
    >>The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
    >>
    >>What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system with a
    >>new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D Performance, by
    >>replacing the TNT2 with another video card than perhaps I can delay for
    >>awhile and get the new system later on 2nd half of this year instead.
    >>

    >What colour depth? What is it like at 16-bit? How recent is the
    >driver? AGP or PCI?

    Also, if AGP, what AGP aperture size (set in the BIOS)? In this
    article which tests different AGP sizes on different cards, including
    a TNT2 Pro (32Mb SDRAM) there seemed to be a slight hole if 64Mb AGP
    aperture size was set.

    http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

    GraB, Jan 13, 2004
  12. GraB wrote:
    > Not everyone needs a V8 Turbo to do the shopping.

    really? you mean some people "put up with" having just a supercharger?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  13. K & S wrote:
    > It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.

    Roger, you seem to have the most simple logic around here.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  14. K & S wrote:
    > I would say that the PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB. does not support that
    > screen mode..

    It does support it(I have one in an old machine)... but at 1280x1024 it
    does seem to run decidedly slower than 1024x768, which I guess could be
    explained by a greater use of video memory.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 13, 2004
  15. Alpine Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alpine Dragon wrote:
    > "Alpine Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Intel PIII 550MHz
    >> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    > Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
    > I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally
    > done every 2-3 weeks)
    >
    > The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
    >
    > What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system
    > with a new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D
    > Performance, by replacing the TNT2 with another video card than
    > perhaps I can delay for awhile and get the new system later on 2nd
    > half of this year instead.

    If 2D performance is all you're interested in then a Matrox card is a good
    choice and can often be had (relatively) cheaply second-hand.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Alpine Dragon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:

    >>> Not everyone needs a V8 Turbo to do the shopping.

    >> But you need some Grunt to run animated 3D Graphics, one of his
    >> biggest problems is his Graphic cards, but I don't thing the new
    >> 1.5v cards will work in a old MoB o..
    >>
    >> That is why you need to update most of your system..
    >>
    >> It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.
    >>

    > He might be like me. I have no need of 3D graphics, having no 3D
    > games. My 2D performance is more than enough. DVD playback is
    > flawless with my slightly out-of-date Radeon 7500 card.

    And the woger seemed to miss the fact that the OP only mentioned 2D
    graphics. It's even in the subject.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 13, 2004
  17. Alpine Dragon

    K & S Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:22:45 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:

    >>> But you need some Grunt to run animated 3D Graphics, one of his
    >>> biggest problems is his Graphic cards, but I don't thing the new
    >>> 1.5v cards will work in a old MoB o..
    >>>
    >>> That is why you need to update most of your system..
    >>>
    >>> It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.
    >>>

    >> He might be like me. I have no need of 3D graphics, having no 3D
    >> games. My 2D performance is more than enough. DVD playback is
    >> flawless with my slightly out-of-date Radeon 7500 card.

    >And the woger seemed to miss the fact that the OP only mentioned 2D
    >graphics. It's even in the subject.

    Well I have a Great 2D card for sale a Tensyng Lab one..

    K & S, Jan 13, 2004
  18. Alpine Dragon

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:28:34 +1300, K & S wrote:

    > Well I have a Great 2D card for sale a Tensyng Lab one..

    Is that a Nepalese one? It gets really good vertical fps (feet per second
    that is)

    :)

    And yes Woger, before you call me an idiot I do know what you are
    referring to - even if you can't spell it.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 14, 2004
  19. Alpine Dragon

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:20:43 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > If 2D performance is all you're interested in then a Matrox card is a good
    > choice and can often be had (relatively) cheaply second-hand. --
    > ~misfit~

    Seconded!!

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 14, 2004
  20. Alpine Dragon

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:44:18 +1300, K & S wrote:

    >>Intel PIII 550MHz
    >>PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
    >>512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

    > Upgrade your system its way way out of date..

    That sounds a bit like the machine I'm on at the moment at work (my home
    machine is even lower specced). Although I've got less RAM (384MB), and
    the TNT failed a while back and was replaced with a Matrox G400.

    It does fine for me! And I run it at 1280x1024x32bit.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 14, 2004