    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Naz

    , Nov 5, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a problem with the CPU utilization on my Cisco 7206VXR router.
    > The 'Pool Manager' process is consistently using about 40% of the CPU.
    > I cannot really figure out what is using this process. I did a bug
    > search for IOS 12.2(17a), but cannot find anything. Does anybody have
    > an idea what this specific process is being used for ?
    > It might be useful to know that I am running a number of IPX tunnels on
    > the router that shows the high CPU utilization due to the Pool Manager
    > process.
    > Thanks for your help in advance.

    Cisco have some nice docs now for Troubleshooting High CPU.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_tech_note09186a00800a65d0.shtml
    Says:-

    "Pool Manager
    Manager process for managing growth and discarding
    requests from dynamic pools at the interrupt level"

    This is a shot in the dark and may not be helpful
    however check out the buffers. Perhaps you do not
    have enough of something and that in itself is increasing the CPU.

    If you like post
    sh buffers
    sh proc cpu | inc pool manager
    sh mem ! < -- first few lines only.
    sh proc cpu ! < -- first few lines only.

    I now do not hesitate to increase buffers manually to prevent
    misses and failures provided that there is SUFFICIENT
    MEMORY if I suspect that a router is under any kind of stress
    and shows significant misses or failures.

    My view is that the IOS memory-miser buffer tuning is
    not really any longer always appropriate.

    , Nov 5, 2006

  3. Guest

    schreef:

    > wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have a problem with the CPU utilization on my Cisco 7206VXR router.
    > > The 'Pool Manager' process is consistently using about 40% of the CPU.
    > > I cannot really figure out what is using this process. I did a bug
    > > search for IOS 12.2(17a), but cannot find anything. Does anybody have
    > > an idea what this specific process is being used for ?
    > > It might be useful to know that I am running a number of IPX tunnels on
    > > the router that shows the high CPU utilization due to the Pool Manager
    > > process.
    > > Thanks for your help in advance.

    > Cisco have some nice docs now for Troubleshooting High CPU.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_tech_note09186a00800a65d0.shtml
    > Says:-
    >
    > "Pool Manager
    > Manager process for managing growth and discarding
    > requests from dynamic pools at the interrupt level"
    >
    > This is a shot in the dark and may not be helpful
    > however check out the buffers. Perhaps you do not
    > have enough of something and that in itself is increasing the CPU.
    >
    > If you like post
    > sh buffers
    > sh proc cpu | inc pool manager
    > sh mem ! < -- first few lines only.
    > sh proc cpu ! < -- first few lines only.
    >
    > I now do not hesitate to increase buffers manually to prevent
    > misses and failures provided that there is SUFFICIENT
    > MEMORY if I suspect that a router is under any kind of stress
    > and shows significant misses or failures.
    >
    > My view is that the IOS memory-miser buffer tuning is
    > not really any longer always appropriate.

    Hello,

    great, thanks for the tips.
    One thing I noticed is that when the CPU is high, the huge buffers pool
    is completely exhausted. Could the depletion of the huge buffers pool,
    the Pool Manager process, and the high CPU be related ?

    Thanks in advance again for your help.

    Regards,

    GP

    , Nov 7, 2006