Pondering a new camera, debating between the Canon S1 or waiting for the S2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brad Sims, May 31, 2005.

  1. Brad Sims

    Brad Sims Guest

    None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet, but
    from what I've seen it looks promising.

    Now the real question is, is it a 60% better camera than the Canon S1? I
    don't see myself ever printing larger than 8x10, so the extra megapixels
    wouldn't be much use to me.

    However what I /do/ need is a large, clear zoom; reasonably fast
    auto-focus, not too much noise and good pictures...

    I know the S1 doesn't have a IR illuminator for the AF, but I was
    pondering the feasibility of buying an IR led and making a simple IR
    flashlight (heck if nothing else I could butcher a remote control)... I
    wonder if that would help or not?

    --
    Hmmm... Perhaps Magic just consists of hacking the prayer firewall. How
    many Hail Marys do we need for a buffer overflow attack? -- Bob Dowling

    Brad Sims, May 31, 2005

  2. Brad Sims

    Rick Guest

    "Brad Sims" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet, but
    > from what I've seen it looks promising.
    >
    > Now the real question is, is it a 60% better camera than the Canon S1? I
    > don't see myself ever printing larger than 8x10, so the extra megapixels
    > wouldn't be much use to me.
    >
    > However what I /do/ need is a large, clear zoom; reasonably fast
    > auto-focus, not too much noise and good pictures...

    Then definitely wait for the S2, which adds an AF lamp
    (40% faster autofocus) and DIGIC II processing

    > I know the S1 doesn't have a IR illuminator for the AF, but I was
    > pondering the feasibility of buying an IR led and making a simple IR
    > flashlight (heck if nothing else I could butcher a remote control)... I
    > wonder if that would help or not?

    There's a kludge for the S1 which uses the camera's redeye
    light for AF. It's cumbersome and doesn't work half the time.

    Rick, May 31, 2005

  3. Brad Sims wrote:
    > None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet, but
    > from what I've seen it looks promising.

    Why wait when you can buy a Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 or similar today?

    David J Taylor, May 31, 2005
  4. Brad Sims

    NewsDroid Guest

    In article <>,
    Brad Sims <> wrote:

    > None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet, but
    > from what I've seen it looks promising.
    >
    > Now the real question is, is it a 60% better camera than the Canon S1? I
    > don't see myself ever printing larger than 8x10, so the extra megapixels
    > wouldn't be much use to me.
    >
    > However what I /do/ need is a large, clear zoom; reasonably fast
    > auto-focus, not too much noise and good pictures...
    >
    > I know the S1 doesn't have a IR illuminator for the AF, but I was
    > pondering the feasibility of buying an IR led and making a simple IR
    > flashlight (heck if nothing else I could butcher a remote control)... I
    > wonder if that would help or not?

    I had an S1 before my present FZ20. There were many occasions I cursed
    the lack of the AF assist lite. I also found that while the S1 images
    can be enlarged to 10x8 they're marginal. The 12x zoom is also a useful
    increase and I still miss the flip-out LCD. 1.8" is better than 1.5"

    The S1 was a sweet wee camera, but if I was you I'd definitely hang on
    for the S2. The extra cost is worth it.

    The FZ20 is a fine camera, but I still suspect that the Canon's more
    refined ergonomics give it the edge over the Panasonics. It seems to fit
    the hand better.

    Do budget for extra NiMH batteries and if you are planning on traveling
    a lot, invest in a fast charger. You may only get narrow windows of
    opportunity for recharging. (Daughter's cellphone will always take
    precedent over Daddy's camera batteries.)

    --
    .....NewsDroid

    NewsDroid, May 31, 2005
  5. The S2 IS is available for retail sale here in the USA right now. In fact,
    I'm thinking of buying one today at one of my local electronics emporiums.

    While very capable, the Panasonic super-zooms lack the swivel LCD panel, and
    a true continuous shooting mode. I use both on my S1 IS and am not willing
    to give that up.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, May 31, 2005
  6. David Sommers wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:veWme.42628$...
    >> Brad Sims wrote:
    >>> None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet,
    >>> but from what I've seen it looks promising.

    >> Why wait when you can buy a Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 or similar today?

    > The S2 IS is available for retail sale here in the USA right now. In
    > fact, I'm thinking of buying one today at one of my local electronics
    > emporiums.
    > While very capable, the Panasonic super-zooms lack the swivel LCD
    > panel, and a true continuous shooting mode. I use both on my S1 IS
    > and am not willing to give that up.
    >
    > Bye.

    OK, "wait" was in the message topic. I agree that a swivel LCD would be
    an asset that would swing a decision - assuming everything else was equal.
    While it would be surprising if Canon "got it wrong", I'd still be
    incluned to see a review unless I got a good returns policy promise. (I
    bought a Minolta A2 on the basis of reviews but sent it back once I'd
    handled it and seen the image quality....).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 31, 2005
  7. Brad Sims

    tomcas Guest

    Re: Pondering a new camera, debating between the Canon S1 or waitingfor the S2

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Brad Sims wrote:
    >
    >>None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet, but
    >>from what I've seen it looks promising.

    > Why wait when you can buy a Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 or similar today?

    The S2 has twice the video resolution, can zoom during video capture,
    and uses non-proprietary batteries. To some people these features are
    worth the wait.

    tomcas, May 31, 2005
  8. Brad Sims

    Brad Sims Guest

    In grave ink the dread hand of NewsDroid did inscribe:

    > The FZ20 is a fine camera, but I still suspect that the Canon's more
    > refined ergonomics give it the edge over the Panasonics. It seems to fit
    > the hand better.

    Indeed, I have medium palms and stubby fingers. The Panasonic was like
    gripping a large brick and the controls were hard for me to reach easily.

    That and I am opposed to proprietary batteries on general principals... If
    my Ni-Cad AAs die on me in Outer Nowhere, IllAnnoy, I /know/ I can find
    alkaline replacements at any QuickieMart.

    The camera that only uses a special battery sold only at camera shops has
    to come with free beer and dancing girls to get me to look at it <g>.

    --
    Christ, their *intention* is to have the OS drop its pants, bend over,
    and ask the whole bloody net to remotely install any bits at all . . .

    Brad Sims, May 31, 2005
  9. tomcas wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Brad Sims wrote:
    >>
    >>> None of the usual suspects have a good review of the Canon S2 yet,
    >>> but from what I've seen it looks promising.

    >> Why wait when you can buy a Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 or similar today?
    >>

    > The S2 has twice the video resolution, can zoom during video capture,
    > and uses non-proprietary batteries. To some people these features are
    > worth the wait.

    Yes, if you want movies the Canon is better, but a proper movie camera is
    even better. It's where you draw the line. Your choice.

    I disagree on the batteries - I find the single cell much easier to handle
    in the field than sets of AA cells. I do regard the prices charged for
    these batteries excessive, and think that consumers should demand a
    standardised raneg of Li-ion cells which fit all cameras (line AA, AAA
    etc.).

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Brad Sims

    NewsDroid Guest

    In article <>,
    Brad Sims <> wrote:

    > That and I am opposed to proprietary batteries on general principals... If
    > my Ni-Cad AAs die on me in Outer Nowhere, IllAnnoy, I /know/ I can find
    > alkaline replacements at any QuickieMart.

    This is getting OT, but I have found the odd-ball batteries in the
    Panasonic to be the least of my worries. I bought a couple of spares and
    found that the cost wasn't wildly different from the sum of the extra
    sets of AA NiMHs and the two (fast and regular) chargers needed to keep
    the Canon safely provided for. The Panasonic came with its fast charger
    and runs for ages on each charge. The Canon seemed to need a fresh set
    of cells every time I turned it on.

    Siiigh!! My ideal camera would be a combination of the best features of
    the FZ20 and the S2 IS.

    --
    .....NewsDroid

    NewsDroid, Jun 2, 2005
  11. NewsDroid wrote:
    []
    > Siiigh!! My ideal camera would be a combination of the best features
    > of the FZ20 and the S2 IS.

    Would that be the Nikon 8800 then? <G>

    David J Taylor, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Brad Sims

    NewsDroid Guest

    In article <Rqzne.43814$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    > NewsDroid wrote:
    > []
    > > Siiigh!! My ideal camera would be a combination of the best features
    > > of the FZ20 and the S2 IS.

    > Would that be the Nikon 8800 then? <G>

    Get thee behind me, Satan!

    Ideally it would be about the same price as the Canon, same MPix but
    with the 12x zoom. We can but dream.

    --
    .....NewsDroid

    NewsDroid, Jun 3, 2005