Poll

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Brunswick Lowe, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Just curious about how long most folks that use legit study materials prepare for VB.NET exams? (Not counting the countless years of experience that led you to become an expert programmer ;-)).
    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Brunswick Lowe

    Hermit Dave Guest

    depends on the cert you are planning to give...okay i will make a confession...
    gave my asp.net with c# in early part of jan.

    all i read for that exam was "Essential ASP.NET".
    Okay transcender did show me that i was really awful at deployment. so have to read that up..
    in all i would say about a fortnight's worth...

    though i have been using on asp.net for over 6 months now..

    since it was all legit... and since i didnot put much of an effort in it. i only scored bout 811

    --
    Regards,
    HD
    Hermit Dave, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Brunswick Lowe

    Mike Grasso Guest

    I've been using Que's books and MeasureUp exams. So far, I'm
    averaging about 4 months per exam. Of course, I do have a full time
    job, a fiancee, and I'm training for a triathlon. I only get to study
    during my lunch hour and maybe 5 hours per week at night. I've seen
    posts where people study for two weeks, and I just have to wonder if
    they have more hours in a day that I do.
    Mike Grasso, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Mike Grasso wrote:

    > I've been using Que's books and MeasureUp exams. So far, I'm
    > averaging about 4 months per exam. Of course, I do have a full time
    > job, a fiancee, and I'm training for a triathlon. I only get to study
    > during my lunch hour and maybe 5 hours per week at night. I've seen
    > posts where people study for two weeks, and I just have to wonder if
    > they have more hours in a day that I do.

    I studied during my lunch hour and an hour per night and it took me 3
    weeks per exam, more or less.

    I use the .NET product... do you? That makes a difference.

    Between 315, 316 and 320, there is a lot of overlap. Studying for the
    first exam takes longer than the other two.

    Now, studying for 300 or 229, that's another matter.
    General Protection Fault, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Mike Grasso wrote:
    > I've been using Que's books and MeasureUp exams. So far, I'm
    > averaging about 4 months per exam. Of course, I do have a full time
    > job, a fiancee, and I'm training for a triathlon. I only get to study
    > during my lunch hour and maybe 5 hours per week at night. I've seen
    > posts where people study for two weeks, and I just have to wonder if
    > they have more hours in a day that I do.

    Feh... wait until you get married.

    Then wait until you have kids.

    You'll miss all the free time you USED to have.

    --
    Fris "carpe diem" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Brunswick Lowe

    Hermit Dave Guest

    For 315
    2 hours or so per night... when i was not coding or on newsgroups. ( around
    4 on weekends)
    have been using visual studio for over 6 months now.. and had gone a great
    deal of asp.net programming as well.
    for that reason, i just wanted to clear idea on how things work internally.
    (Essential ASP.NET.. never needed to read beyond code snippets)
    never tried using books explicitly for exams... i generally go for Inside
    series. Though with Don Box writing on Addison Wesley, i have started buy a
    great deal of Essential Series books as well.
    229 did take me a while when i gave it in 2002 reason being i know the kinda
    questions that come and you need to know a great deal about how things work
    so a good understanding of system is important.. I would give 229 close to a
    months time max. (though i started using sql 2000 from 2000 onwards, i
    actually got around to giving the exam in 2002)

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 26, 2004
  7. Thanks. I was really just curious. I took about 3 weeks/exam for 70-300, 305 and 306. I feel certain that 310 and 229 will take longer. Most of my DB experience is in MySQL, so 229 will be a challenge. 310's probably going to be the hardest for me out of all of them.

    I found the best way to mix parenting, job, life and test taking is by getting up before the rest of the world. But I'm not training for a tri. Maybe next year!
    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 26, 2004
  8. Brunswick Lowe

    Mike Grasso Guest

    > I use the .NET product... do you? That makes a difference.

    Yeah, I've been doing heavy C# for about 18 months now. I'm using Kalani's
    books (1000 pages) and I'm actually reading everything. I'm doing this to
    learn as much as I can about .NET. I'm not going to get any kind of raise
    or promotion when I get my certification and I don't plan on leaving my
    job, so I'm not in a rush.

    The one thing I didn't mention before that takes away from my study time is
    that g-d d-mn Playstation!
    Mike Grasso, Jan 27, 2004
  9. Brunswick Lowe

    Lorne Smith Guest

    I couldn't agree more! Free time? What's that then? :)

    Lorne Smith, Jan 27, 2004
  10. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed a serious pinch in my time when
    starting the whole cert process. My wife's been extremely
    understanding/supportive. Ultimately, it requires more out of her,
    especially when I'm held up in the office with my nose in the books.

    I always wanted to try a tri, but never could find the time to train. I
    really don't see how you do it. I can't fathom what time I'd have to get up
    to do that and work on the cert.

    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 27, 2004
  11. Frisbee® MCNGP wrote:

    > Mike Grasso wrote:
    >
    >>I've been using Que's books and MeasureUp exams. So far, I'm
    >>averaging about 4 months per exam. Of course, I do have a full time
    >>job, a fiancee, and I'm training for a triathlon. I only get to study
    >>during my lunch hour and maybe 5 hours per week at night. I've seen
    >>posts where people study for two weeks, and I just have to wonder if
    >>they have more hours in a day that I do.

    > Feh... wait until you get married.
    >
    > Then wait until you have kids.
    >
    > You'll miss all the free time you USED to have.

    I have a wife and 2-year old and I still found the time.
    General Protection Fault, Jan 27, 2004
  12. Brunswick Lowe wrote:
    > Thanks. I was really just curious. I took about 3 weeks/exam for 70-300,
    > 305 and 306. I feel certain that 310 and 229 will take longer. Most of
    > my DB experience is in MySQL, so 229 will be a challenge. 310's probably
    > going to be the hardest for me out of all of them.

    No kidding. MySQL is a piece of crap. What's a subselect?
    Transactions? What're those? :)
    General Protection Fault, Jan 27, 2004
  13. Why do you think I'm moving into SQL2K?

    (it does transactions, just not so easily)

    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 27, 2004
  14. General Protection Fault wrote:
    > Frisbee® MCNGP wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Grasso wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using Que's books and MeasureUp exams. So far, I'm
    >>> averaging about 4 months per exam. Of course, I do have a full time
    >>> job, a fiancee, and I'm training for a triathlon. I only get to
    >>> study during my lunch hour and maybe 5 hours per week at night.
    >>> I've seen posts where people study for two weeks, and I just have
    >>> to wonder if they have more hours in a day that I do.

    >> Feh... wait until you get married.
    >>
    >> Then wait until you have kids.
    >>
    >> You'll miss all the free time you USED to have.

    > I have a wife and 2-year old and I still found the time.

    I had a wife and TWO 2-year-olds (and a teenage step son) when I took my
    70-210 and still found the time.

    My point still remains, though... I USED to play disc golf, and have other
    recreational type activities B.F. (Before Family)

    --
    Fris "Just another decade or so before I can play disc golf again" bee®

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 27, 2004
  15. >No kidding. MySQL is a piece of crap. What's a subselect?
    >Transactions? What're those? :)

    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 27, 2004
  16. >(it does transactions, just not so easily)

    Ha! Ha! in 20 user environment, maybe!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 27, 2004
  17. Brunswick Lowe wrote:

    > Why do you think I'm moving into SQL2K?

    Sorry Microsoft, but you should try postgresql first.

    > (it does transactions, just not so easily)

    Yeah, if you use innodb, but then it slows down and has a crappy locking
    mechanism.
    General Protection Fault, Jan 27, 2004
  18. What can I say, I outgrew it.

    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 27, 2004
  19. Yeah, the one important factor I forgot to mention is cost.

    Fact of the matter is a good developer should use the appropriate tool for
    the job. If you're developing for a small biz that has no need for
    transactions and cost is a big factor, I'd say MySQL cuts the mustard. Never
    failed me. Recommending SQL2K for some of those apps would have been like
    recommending a Mack Truck as a can crusher. Postgre would certainly have
    been a good choice too.

    Brunswick Lowe, Jan 27, 2004
  20. Brunswick Lowe wrote:
    > What can I say, I outgrew it.

    I outgrew it the moment I needed, y'know, CONCURRENCY.

    Seriously, try postgresql before forking out the dollahz.
    General Protection Fault, Jan 27, 2004