    What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    Win2000.

    Thanks
    mvccerase, Jan 13, 2004

  2. mvccerase

    kamputo Guest

    Re: What to buy...Mcafee or Norton antivirus

    mvccerase wrote:
    :: Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    :: Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    ::
    :: What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    :: Win2000.
    ::
    :: Thanks

    For Christsake stay away from Norton.......it is bloatware to the
    extreme.......if you try to uninstall it will more often than not screwup
    your computer. Try AVG from Grisoft instead.
    kamputo, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Re: What to buy...Mcafee or Norton antivirus

    AVG get it at www.grisoft.com, works very well, and it's free.
    michael turner, Jan 13, 2004
  4. mvccerase

    Tommy Halnet Guest

    Re: What to buy...Mcafee or Norton antivirus

    If you have a new machine thats faster than 500mhz or has more than 256mb of
    memory, doesnt matter so much about bloatware, it has lots of features [if
    you like that diddling stuff]. AVG is very good, is free, but only provides
    full service [email dept] if your using Outlook or Eudora, not Outlook
    Express. [but if you use Outlook Express, just disable attachment opeining
    in tools/security]. See my website for lots of AV / AntiSpam / etc stuff.
    [mostly free]
    --
    Tommy McClure
    toner27(removethis)@hal-pc.org
    Tommy Halnet, Jan 13, 2004
  5. mvccerase

    Harrison Guest

    Norton

    Harrison, Jan 13, 2004
  6. mvccerase

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase wrote:

    >Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    >Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    >
    >What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    >Win2000.

    Neither.

    Sophos or eTrust, depending on your needs.

    --
    What we need are a couple of good hangings.
    -- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam
    Mara, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase wrote:
    >
    > >Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    > >Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    > >
    > >What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    > >Win2000.

    > Neither.
    >
    > Sophos or eTrust, depending on your needs.

    I'd suggest eTrust.

    The v7 "promo" is still available - google for EAV7PROMO and see
    what pops out.

    Otherwise, you can go to www.my-etrust.com and purchase it there.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 13, 2004
  8. mvccerase

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:59:18 -0600, Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase wrote:
    >>
    >> >Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    >> >Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    >> >
    >> >What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    >> >Win2000.

    >> Neither.
    >>
    >> Sophos or eTrust, depending on your needs.

    > I'd suggest eTrust.
    >
    > The v7 "promo" is still available - google for EAV7PROMO and see
    >what pops out.

    I run the promo version myself, have for quite awhile. The OP might want to
    check out the AV/firewall download if h/s/it doesn't have a software firewall,
    though. Or even if they do.

    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    "Free for a year."

    Mara, Jan 14, 2004
  9. mvccerase

    Sultan Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote in news:bu24m9$ck8kq$-
    berlin.de:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase wrote:
    >>
    >> >Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    >> >Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    >> >
    >> >What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    >> >Win2000.

    >> Neither.
    >>
    >> Sophos or eTrust, depending on your needs.

    > I'd suggest eTrust.
    >
    > The v7 "promo" is still available - google for EAV7PROMO and

    see
    > what pops out.
    >
    > Otherwise, you can go to www.my-etrust.com and purchase it

    there.

    > RwP

    Sorry I missed the start of this thread but to the original poster, why
    not try AVG Free edition? Available from grisoft.com and is free. Hell
    Harrison doesn't even have to visit warez to get something this good
    free. Sorry Harrison, couldn't resist! LOL

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004
  10. mvccerase

    jimpgh2002 Guest

    wrote:

    >Looking to buy an antivirus package. Had McAfee on old machine.
    >Using free Symantec for next two weeks.
    >
    >What is everyone's views as to what I should buy for home pc running
    >Win2000.
    >
    >Thanks

    Avast, which is free, has worked well for me & is highly rated
    by PCWorld (just above AVG) - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html
    jimpgh2002, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Couldnt agree more,I just started using Avast a couple of days ago, its far
    better than AVG imo

    Dr. Hackenbush, Jan 14, 2004
  12. mvccerase

    Kráftéé Guest

    jimpgh2002 wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Avast, which is free, has worked well for me & is highly rated
    > by PCWorld (just above AVG) - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

    & being highly rated by PCWorld means something good???
    Kráftéé, Jan 14, 2004
  13. mvccerase

    Roy Wiggins Guest

    Suggest PC-Cillin 2004 very helpful people too. (look in search engine for
    them under TREND)
    Roy

    Roy Wiggins, Jan 14, 2004
  14. mvccerase

    Mellowed Guest

    Re: What to buy...Mcafee or Norton antivirus

    Tommy,
    I'm using AVG with Outlook Express and it appears to be checking my
    email. I have the Icon in the toolbar and my email messages have their
    AV stamp.

    "Tommy Halnet" <toner27(removethis)@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
    : If you have a new machine thats faster than 500mhz or has more than
    256mb of
    : memory, doesnt matter so much about bloatware, it has lots of features
    [if
    : you like that diddling stuff]. AVG is very good, is free, but only
    provides
    : full service [email dept] if your using Outlook or Eudora, not Outlook
    : Express. [but if you use Outlook Express, just disable attachment
    opeining
    : in tools/security]. See my website for lots of AV / AntiSpam / etc
    stuff.
    : [mostly free]
    : --
    : Tommy McClure
    : toner27(removethis)@hal-pc.org
    : www.hal-pc.org/~toner27
    :
    :

    ---
    Mellowed, Jan 14, 2004
  15. mvccerase

    jimpgh2002 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:28:08 -0000, "Kráftéé"
    <kraftee@spam_off_&_die_ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >jimpgh2002 wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Avast, which is free, has worked well for me & is highly rated
    >> by PCWorld (just above AVG) - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

    >& being highly rated by PCWorld means something good???

    Depends on whether you have confidence in their opinion, I suppose.
    But you're just trying to be cute, ain'tcha?
    jimpgh2002, Jan 15, 2004
  16. mvccerase

    Tommy Halnet Guest

    Re: What to buy...Mcafee or Norton antivirus

    It didn't stamp email with my OE. I found something by googling that
    explained that it only works completely with Outlook or Eudora. They may
    have updated it by now. I have AVG free version 6.0.561. Check this link out
    also: [ another aspect, I like AVG by the way , very concise ]

    http://www.hackfix.org/miscfix/icons-av.shtml

    Tommy Halnet, Jan 15, 2004
  17. mvccerase

    Tommy Halnet Guest

    Tommy Halnet, Jan 15, 2004
  18. mvccerase

    Kráftéé Guest

    jimpgh2002 wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:28:08 -0000, "Kráftéé"
    > <kraftee@spam_off_&_die_ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> jimpgh2002 wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:13:34 -0500, mvccerase
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Avast, which is free, has worked well for me & is highly rated
    >>> by PCWorld (just above AVG) - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

    >> & being highly rated by PCWorld means something good???
    >>

    > Depends on whether you have confidence in their opinion, I suppose.
    > But you're just trying to be cute, ain'tcha?

    Trying to make an honest remark, PCWorld is the last place people should be
    taking recomendations from, in my experience of course. If they get paid
    enough they'll recomend anything, as long as it pays well....
    Kráftéé, Jan 15, 2004
  19. mvccerase

    jimpgh2002 Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:24:46 -0000, "Kráftéé"
    <kraftee@spam_off_&_die_ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >jimpgh2002 wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:28:08 -0000, "Kráftéé"
    >> <kraftee@spam_off_&_die_ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >>> & being highly rated by PCWorld means something good???
    >>>

    >> Depends on whether you have confidence in their opinion, I suppose.
    >> But you're just trying to be cute, ain'tcha?

    >Trying to make an honest remark, PCWorld is the last place people should be
    >taking recomendations from, in my experience of course. If they get paid
    >enough they'll recomend anything, as long as it pays well....

    They recommended AVG as well as Avast...both free.
    At any rate, don't you think people would stop getting the magazine
    if they recommended lousy products?
    jimpgh2002, Jan 15, 2004