Politician blames opponents for website worm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Now this is really dumb. This guy has to be a bit silly, he just looks
    like a fool if he can't keep his webserver patched

    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/11/1092102486766.html?
    oneclick=true

    Computer worm loads from MP's site

    * Print this article
    * Email to a friend

    Brisbane
    August 11, 2004

    A federal Liberal MP has accused political opponents of starting a dirty
    tricks campaign after his website was sabotaged by an internet virus.

    Steven Ciobo, the Member for the Gold Coast electorate of Moncrieff,
    yesterday called on the Australian Federal Police to investigate how the
    worm got onto his website www.stevenciobo.com.

    Anyone going to the site without adequate protection would have a worm
    automatically loaded onto their computers.

    Ciobo said the people behind it were "foolish and irresponsible".

    "I'm disappointed my political foes have already stooped to a dirty
    tricks campaign even though the federal election has not been
    announced," he said in a statement.

    "I was surprised to discover my website had been hacked into and
    sabotaged because it is simply a tool to provide useful community
    information for local residents and small businesses."

    Ciobo said he expected the site to be fixed soon.
    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    See http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Now this is really dumb. This guy has to be a bit silly, he just looks
    > like a fool if he can't keep his webserver patched

    > Anyone going to the site without adequate protection would have a worm
    > automatically loaded onto their computers.

    > "I'm disappointed my political foes have already stooped to a dirty
    > tricks campaign even though the federal election has not been
    > announced," he said in a statement.

    He is only a politition, we can't expect too much from him.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >>> "I'm disappointed my political foes have already stooped to a dirty
    >>> tricks campaign even though the federal election has not been
    >>> announced," he said in a statement.

    >> He is only a politition, we can't expect too much from him.

    > Why should he suspect his rivals?,

    he's paranoid, and thinks fairly highly of his chances of winning... at
    least thats what I got from the story.

    > websites get cracked all the time. At
    > least he's not in charge of Information Technology.

    true.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> Now this is really dumb. This guy has to be a bit silly, he just looks
    >> like a fool if he can't keep his webserver patched

    >> Anyone going to the site without adequate protection would have a worm
    >> automatically loaded onto their computers.

    >> "I'm disappointed my political foes have already stooped to a dirty
    >> tricks campaign even though the federal election has not been
    >> announced," he said in a statement.

    > He is only a politition, we can't expect too much from him.

    Why should he suspect his rivals?, websites get cracked all the time. At
    least he's not in charge of Information Technology.

    Roger_Nickel, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    >>> He is only a politition, we can't expect too much from him.

    >> Why should he suspect his rivals?,

    > he's paranoid, and thinks fairly highly of his chances of winning... at
    > least thats what I got from the story.
    >
    >> websites get cracked all the time. At
    >> least he's not in charge of Information Technology.

    > true.

    I though he got caught with his IT pants down and is looking to shift the
    blame.

    Chris, Aug 13, 2004