Politically biased lighting?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by landnotloans@hotmail.com, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Apr 17, 2006

  2. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the London
    > Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections, the
    > lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.
    >
    > http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,289298,00.jpg

    Pity it wasn't harsh enough to show his true colours

    --
    Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Beck Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the
    >> London Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections,
    >> the lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.
    >>
    >> http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,289298,00.jpg

    > Pity it wasn't harsh enough to show his true colours

    ooh meow.. well done :)

    Beck, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Cheesehead Guest

    Composition is big -- framing as well as lighting -- in order to convey
    ideas about a person. Per the re-braodcast on PBS yesterday, when
    Billy Graham first went to London the press was extremely hostile,
    making a big show of bags of cash from the offerings -- even though
    there were no facts to support the visual libel of him being any sort
    of huckster.

    If you want to portray someone as condescending, just photograph them
    from a low vantage point and get the person to look down. The visual
    impression does the job, whether true or false.

    There are other things which can be done to convey images. It's a good
    way to sharpen one's skills -- take a character trait and put it into a
    picture.

    Collin
    KC8TKA

    Cheesehead, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Mark M Guest

    "Cheesehead" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Composition is big -- framing as well as lighting -- in order to convey
    > ideas about a person. Per the re-braodcast on PBS yesterday, when
    > Billy Graham first went to London the press was extremely hostile,

    Why? Is the UK press really so clueless?

    Graham used to be seen a lot here in the U.S. press, until he started
    speaking against Reagan's arms buildup during the 1980's. For that
    he was essentially banished from major press coverage. I have a lot
    of respect for the man even though I don't share many of his religious
    beliefs.

    Mark M, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Rich Guest

    Rich, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Apr 17, 2006
  8. Cynicor Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the London
    >>Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections, the
    >>lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.
    >>
    >>http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,289298,00.jpg

    > Pity it wasn't harsh enough to show his true colours

    It's a bit like the Enoch Powell cover of Private Eye. "And I tell you
    some of them have them this long!"

    Cynicor, Apr 17, 2006
  9. Tim Guest

    Tim, Apr 17, 2006
  10. Paul Heslop Guest

    Beck wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the
    > >> London Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections,
    > >> the lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.
    > >>
    > >> http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,289298,00.jpg

    > > Pity it wasn't harsh enough to show his true colours

    > ooh meow.. well done :)

    :O)

    Paul Heslop, Apr 17, 2006
  11. Paul Heslop Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the London
    > >>Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections, the
    > >>lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.
    > >>
    > >>http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,289298,00.jpg

    > > Pity it wasn't harsh enough to show his true colours

    > It's a bit like the Enoch Powell cover of Private Eye. "And I tell you
    > some of them have them this long!"

    heh heh

    Paul Heslop, Apr 17, 2006
  12. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > British National Party leader Nick Griffin, as portrayed in the London
    > Times April 17, 2006, two weeks before the local elections, the
    > lighting equivalent of shining a torch under the chin.

    I found a less biased shot, one that shows him in a kinder and more
    realistic setting

    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/movie.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=782

    Paul Heslop, Apr 17, 2006
  13. Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > > It's a bit like the Enoch Powell cover of Private Eye. "And I tell you
    > > some of them have them this long!"

    I think that's just Ian Hislop giving himself away slightly.

    , Apr 17, 2006
  14. Guest

  15. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > > It's a bit like the Enoch Powell cover of Private Eye. "And I tell you
    > > > some of them have them this long!"

    > I think that's just Ian Hislop giving himself away slightly.

    you seem to be repeating yourself repeating yourself

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  16. Pentax Fan Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message

    > I found a less biased shot, one that shows him in a kinder and more
    > realistic setting<<

    It would be rather nice to see Griffin sue you for libel.

    According the BBC, the major parties are starting to get rattled by the
    surge in popular support for the BNP - who took 17% of the general election
    vote, in some cases.

    The British working class are, of course, not supposed to think for
    themselves, nor are they allowed to support a party that represents their
    interests. However, it is precisely the sort of smear campaign exemplified
    by your photo, and by the politically motivated prosecution of BNP members,
    that is making the BNP attractive to people tired of being treated like
    acquiescent cattle by the media and mainstream political parties.

    Pentax Fan, Apr 18, 2006
  17. Cynicor Guest

    Pentax Fan wrote:
    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I found a less biased shot, one that shows him in a kinder and more
    >>realistic setting<<

    > It would be rather nice to see Griffin sue you for libel.
    >
    > According the BBC, the major parties are starting to get rattled by the
    > surge in popular support for the BNP - who took 17% of the general election
    > vote, in some cases.
    >
    > The British working class are, of course, not supposed to think for
    > themselves, nor are they allowed to support a party that represents their
    > interests. However, it is precisely the sort of smear campaign exemplified
    > by your photo, and by the politically motivated prosecution of BNP members,
    > that is making the BNP attractive to people tired of being treated like
    > acquiescent cattle by the media and mainstream political parties.

    Right. So the BNP doesn't have links to the National Alliance, the
    French National Front, or the NPD in Germany. And Nick Griffin didn't
    say a couple of years ago "My politics have not changed. I still believe
    in fighting for this" while pointing at his white skin.

    Cynicor, Apr 18, 2006
  18. Paul Heslop Guest

    Pentax Fan wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I found a less biased shot, one that shows him in a kinder and more
    > > realistic setting<<

    > It would be rather nice to see Griffin sue you for libel.

    Oh dear, I'm shaking. Even if he were that stupid, would that make him
    any better than the 'politically motivated prosecution of BNP members"
    you spout about later? Yes, I can see it, "Right Wing party tries to
    stop bloke on the street from having a view"

    > According the BBC, the major parties are starting to get rattled by the
    > surge in popular support for the BNP - who took 17% of the general election
    > vote, in some cases.

    I've heard this, and what does it prove? That the main parties are
    crap? You won't get an argument from me there.

    > The British working class are, of course, not supposed to think for
    > themselves, nor are they allowed to support a party that represents their
    > interests. However, it is precisely the sort of smear campaign exemplified
    > by your photo, and by the politically motivated prosecution of BNP members,
    > that is making the BNP attractive to people tired of being treated like
    > acquiescent cattle by the media and mainstream political parties.

    Bollocks. People are being spoon-fed all sorts of crap by the press,
    only for it to backfire in a big way because the kind of bollocks they
    spout is on a par with the right wing extremists. People are now
    confused and can only see extremes, and there we have Nick and co.

    Rest assured that, come the time, most people will just carry on
    voting for the Tories, or New Labour as they are now known.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  19. Paul Heslop Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Right. So the BNP doesn't have links to the National Alliance, the
    > French National Front, or the NPD in Germany. And Nick Griffin didn't
    > say a couple of years ago "My politics have not changed. I still believe
    > in fighting for this" while pointing at his white skin.

    From Wikipedia

    "In accordance with its stated goal to establish a racially and
    culturally homogenous Britain, the BNP advocates the use of "firm but
    voluntary incentives" to remove non-white ethnic minorities from the
    UK and also bars non-whites from becoming party members. The BNP
    rejects that it is racist, claiming that it is merely standing up for
    the white British working-class. The party believes that racism is a
    part of human nature and describes its supporters as "realists", not
    racists"

    Just about says it all.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  20. "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > "Cheesehead" <> wrote in message
    >> Composition is big -- framing as well as lighting -- in order to convey
    >> ideas about a person. Per the re-braodcast on PBS yesterday, when
    >> Billy Graham first went to London the press was extremely hostile,

    > Why? Is the UK press really so clueless?
    >
    > Graham used to be seen a lot here in the U.S. press, until he started
    > speaking against Reagan's arms buildup during the 1980's. For that
    > he was essentially banished from major press coverage. I have a lot
    > of respect for the man even though I don't share many of his religious
    > beliefs.

    If there's one thing that cannot be pinned on Billy Graham it's the fact
    that he is no huckster. He tuned his minostry over to a board that he
    answers to and started an organization that monitors the finances of
    ministries in order to ensure that there is nothing unethical going on. He
    earns a salary from the ministry. He never earned one penny from the
    millions of copies of his books that were and continue to be sold - he wrote
    them as an employee of the ministry.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 18, 2006