policy based routing on 4006 L3 switch with vlans

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by prosthetic head, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. I am trying to setup a failover connection on a 4006 (12.1.19EW) to a
    2nd ISP.
    Here is my scenario.

    Primary internet connectivity is a 100 Mbit sonet connection (4006 is
    plugged into Cisco 3550 which is plugged a Cisco ONS box) and the
    "wan" interface is one of the vlans. I also have a 2nd 4006 running as
    the HSRP secondary, but that is not a factor at the moment.

    The secondary internet connection is a 100 Mbit RPR connection
    (Luminous rpr box plugged into a Linux router w/NAT plugged into
    4006)
    I am not running any dynamic routing protocols over either connection
    and is not an option to do so with either ISP.
    My 2 primary 24bit networks are bound to seperate vlans, and a 3rd is
    broken out into 27bit networks over 8 vlans. All network interfaces
    (vlans), including the "wan" appear as directly connected interfaces,
    therefore, according to Cisco, a floating static route option will not
    work, which I have verified on the switch already.
    default route is set by "route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 111.222.222.44"
    At this point, I am leaning towards policy based routing with icmp as
    the deciding factor. It appears that the switch will support it.
    Does anyone have an example or any pointers of using policy based
    routing w/ping on vlan interfaces? At some point, I will be adding a
    3rd ISP via DS3, but that will just be another add into the PBR.

    Thanks
    prosthetic head, Mar 4, 2004

  2. On 4 Mar 2004 06:03:16 -0800, (prosthetic head)
    wrote:

    >At this point, I am leaning towards policy based routing with icmp as
    >the deciding factor. It appears that the switch will support it.
    >Does anyone have an example or any pointers of using policy based
    >routing w/ping on vlan interfaces? At some point, I will be adding a
    >3rd ISP via DS3, but that will just be another add into the PBR.
    >I am trying to setup a failover connection on a 4006 (12.1.19EW) to a
    >2nd ISP.

    Ping-based PBR just became available a couple months ago in 12.3(4)T.
    To my knowledge, it hasn't made it's way into any switch IOS versions
    yet.

    Without the ability to run a routing protocol you may be out of luck.

    -Terry

    Terry Baranski, Mar 5, 2004

  3. (prosthetic head) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am trying to setup a failover connection on a 4006 (12.1.19EW) to a
    > 2nd ISP.
    > Here is my scenario.
    >
    > Primary internet connectivity is a 100 Mbit sonet connection (4006 is
    > plugged into Cisco 3550 which is plugged a Cisco ONS box) and the
    > "wan" interface is one of the vlans. I also have a 2nd 4006 running as
    > the HSRP secondary, but that is not a factor at the moment.
    >
    > The secondary internet connection is a 100 Mbit RPR connection
    > (Luminous rpr box plugged into a Linux router w/NAT plugged into
    > 4006)
    > I am not running any dynamic routing protocols over either connection
    > and is not an option to do so with either ISP.
    > My 2 primary 24bit networks are bound to seperate vlans, and a 3rd is
    > broken out into 27bit networks over 8 vlans. All network interfaces
    > (vlans), including the "wan" appear as directly connected interfaces,
    > therefore, according to Cisco, a floating static route option will not
    > work, which I have verified on the switch already.
    > default route is set by "route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 111.222.222.44"
    > At this point, I am leaning towards policy based routing with icmp as
    > the deciding factor. It appears that the switch will support it.
    > Does anyone have an example or any pointers of using policy based
    > routing w/ping on vlan interfaces? At some point, I will be adding a
    > 3rd ISP via DS3, but that will just be another add into the PBR.
    >
    > Thanks

    Dohhh! I was afaid of that! I'll see if I can sweet talk the ISP
    into setting up dynamic routing over the "wan" link
    prosthetic head, Mar 5, 2004
  4. prosthetic head

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    0VE.com says...
    > Ping-based PBR just became available a couple months ago in 12.3(4)T.
    > To my knowledge, it hasn't made it's way into any switch IOS versions
    > yet.

    Too bad it's in 12.3 code and T train to boot. I guess we can use it in
    about 1-2 years!

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 5, 2004