    you would have good people doing good things and evil
    people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
    things, that takes govt. Govt is the root of all evil.

    Citizen Bob, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >Does anyone have this unit? Comments, please. WalMart has it for $220.
    >
    >I am particularly interested to know if it will play AVI XviD files. I
    >believe it will play AVI DivX files, but I have not seen anything
    >explicit about XviD.

    Here is Polaroids support page
    http://tinylink.com/?uP7wbdJcYG

    Heres the user manual
    http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/text/products/petters/drm-2001g_fa37.pdf

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1666&Search=Search&list=1

    GMAN, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:11:21 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >Here is Polaroids support page
    >http://tinylink.com/?uP7wbdJcYG

    That link has changed. It's now "digipills".

    >Heres the user manual
    >http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/text/products/petters/drm-2001g_fa37.pdf

    Vague mention of MPG4 but nothing explicit about DivX or XviD.

    >http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1666&Search=Search&list=1

    XviD is not checked off. DivX is. Is it possible to have DivX support
    but not XviD?

    I found out that the parts for this unit are from Philips, just like
    the Cyberhome unit. A friend bought a Philips a few years ago and had
    to send it to the shop for repairs 4 times, all after the warranty ran
    out. He finally shitcanned it and got a LiteOn, which has worked out
    quite good for him.

    --

    Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,

    Citizen Bob, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    wrote:

    >Heres the user manual
    >http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/text/products/petters/drm-2001g_fa37.pdf

    >http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1666&Search=Search&list=1

    After having surveyed the offerings available for hard disk DVDRs that
    play MPEG4, I am disgusted with the whole thing. It's all just a bunch
    of cheap crap, some of it with a not-so cheap price tag. Hopefully
    having the hard disk will relieve the wear and tear on the DVD
    assembly, but then there is no guarantee that the hard drive assembly
    will hold up.

    I am about two steps from just building my own unit based on personal
    computer components. The one thing that stops me is the lack of a
    reliable operating system that supports two channel TV recording
    simultaneously for shows that are on at the same time.

    If anyone knows of any resources for making PC-based unit, please let
    me know. In the meantime, I may just get that Polaroid DRM-2001G along
    with an extended warranty from WalMart. I have not found anything
    better for the price. Maybe Philips got the bugs out by now. They are
    the GE and Matsushita of Europe so they must be doing something right.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 1, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:11:21 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Heres the user manual
    >>http://www.polaroid.com/media/com/text/products/petters/drm-2001g_fa37.pdf

    >>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1666&Search=Search&list=1

    >After having surveyed the offerings available for hard disk DVDRs that
    >play MPEG4, I am disgusted with the whole thing. It's all just a bunch
    >of cheap crap, some of it with a not-so cheap price tag. Hopefully
    >having the hard disk will relieve the wear and tear on the DVD
    >assembly, but then there is no guarantee that the hard drive assembly
    >will hold up.
    >
    >I am about two steps from just building my own unit based on personal
    >computer components. The one thing that stops me is the lack of a
    >reliable operating system that supports two channel TV recording
    >simultaneously for shows that are on at the same time.
    >
    >If anyone knows of any resources for making PC-based unit, please let
    >me know. In the meantime, I may just get that Polaroid DRM-2001G along
    >with an extended warranty from WalMart. I have not found anything
    >better for the price. Maybe Philips got the bugs out by now. They are
    >the GE and Matsushita of Europe so they must be doing something right.

    Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards
    from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
    computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

    http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

    GMAN, Oct 1, 2006
  7. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >Take a look at MythTV,

    Thanks for the heads up but I do not run Linux. I do know BSD but I
    don't care to get into Linux. I have too much to do.

    I found some good resources for the Polaroid unit. It turns out to be
    a Philips DVDR3455/37 that W-M is selling for $300 - it has a 160 GB
    drive and maybe a USB connector.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=179557&highlight=polaroid drm-2001g
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487

    The comments are generally favorable, largely because of the low
    price. I am still trying to find out if the unit will play XviD AVIs,
    but no one seems to know.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 2, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    wrote:

    >Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards
    >from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
    >computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

    >http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

    On another forum there is this:

    +++
    Wiley's ExtremeTech series has released a new MythTV title, Hacking
    MythTV by Jarod Wilson et al.

    Roll up your sleeves and get ready to build your own HD-DVR with
    MythTV. Our experts not only guide you through building your own
    MythTV box, but let you in on all the little secrets, tricks and hacks
    that make it look and work the way you want it to. Coverage includes:

    Choosing the right hardware for the job - including HD capture cards
    Working with 5.1 surround sound and optical audio outputs
    Optimizing HDTV playback
    Tweaks and hacks for various capture cards
    Hacking MythTV themes
    Using xine to add DVD menu support
    Widescreen HDTV tweaks
    Hacking the remote power button to reset MythTV's frontend
    Exporting MythTV's .nuv recordings into other formats
    Performance hacks

    and more...

    The complete outline and a sample chapter, as well as information on
    the other books in the ExtremeTech series is available at
    http://www.wiley.com/go/extremetech

    Hacking MythTV
    Jarod Wilson, Ed Tittel, Matthew Wright, Justin Korelc
    ISBN: 0-470-03787-3
    Paperback
    432 pages

    Available at bookstores everywhere and online retailers like
    amazon.com
    +++

    Citizen Bob, Oct 2, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Take a look at MythTV,

    >Thanks for the heads up but I do not run Linux. I do know BSD but I
    >don't care to get into Linux. I have too much to do.
    >
    >I found some good resources for the Polaroid unit. It turns out to be
    >a Philips DVDR3455/37 that W-M is selling for $300 - it has a 160 GB
    >drive and maybe a USB connector.
    >
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=179557&highlight=polaroid drm-2001g
    >http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487
    >
    >The comments are generally favorable, largely because of the low
    >price. I am still trying to find out if the unit will play XviD AVIs,
    >but no one seems to know.

    I cant remember if it was you or someone else who bought a LiteOn a while back
    and was angry that it couldnt record to HD and playback a DVD at the same
    time? Well it looks like the Philips/Polaroid unit can.

    GMAN, Oct 2, 2006
  10. Citizen Bob

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:39:50 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Take a look at MythTV, you could pick up a couple of low cost HDTV tuner cards

    >>from Ebay and use it with Myth and basically have a Tivo like setup on your
    >>computer capable of recording in HDTV and burning to DVD.

    >>http://www.mythtvtalk.com/mythtv.php

    >On another forum there is this:
    >
    >+++
    >Wiley's ExtremeTech series has released a new MythTV title, Hacking
    >MythTV by Jarod Wilson et al.
    >
    >Roll up your sleeves and get ready to build your own HD-DVR with
    >MythTV. Our experts not only guide you through building your own
    >MythTV box, but let you in on all the little secrets, tricks and hacks
    >that make it look and work the way you want it to. Coverage includes:
    >
    >Choosing the right hardware for the job - including HD capture cards
    >Working with 5.1 surround sound and optical audio outputs
    >Optimizing HDTV playback
    >Tweaks and hacks for various capture cards
    >Hacking MythTV themes
    >Using xine to add DVD menu support
    >Widescreen HDTV tweaks
    >Hacking the remote power button to reset MythTV's frontend
    >Exporting MythTV's .nuv recordings into other formats
    >Performance hacks
    >
    >and more...
    >
    >The complete outline and a sample chapter, as well as information on
    >the other books in the ExtremeTech series is available at
    >http://www.wiley.com/go/extremetech
    >
    >Hacking MythTV
    >Jarod Wilson, Ed Tittel, Matthew Wright, Justin Korelc
    >ISBN: 0-470-03787-3
    >Paperback
    >432 pages
    >
    >Available at bookstores everywhere and online retailers like
    >amazon.com
    >+++

    I also understand that there is a Windows Myth frontend.

    GMAN, Oct 2, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob wrote:

    > Does anyone have this unit? Comments, please. WalMart has it for $220.
    >
    > I am particularly interested to know if it will play AVI XviD files. I
    > believe it will play AVI DivX files, but I have not seen anything
    > explicit about XviD.

    I have one from WalMart that I've been fooling with for a few weeks.

    I just quick formated a DVD+RW disk w/ Roxio on my desktop and copied
    the following to it:

    Fear.And.Loathing.In.Las.Vegas.1998.Del.Scene.1.XviDVD-ONi.avi
    Lexx - s1e01 - I Worship His Shadow (Uncut) (DVD Rip - XviD).avi
    Millennium.S01E01.DVDRip.AC3.XviD-SFM.avi
    farscape.tpkw1.ws.dvdrip.xvid-river.avi

    The LEXX episode seemed to have a video blurring problem, all others
    played OK.

    David

    David R. Birch, Oct 2, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:41:23 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >I also understand that there is a Windows Myth frontend.

    I will look for it, but in the little time I spent following that link
    you gave me, I did not spot anything obvious.

    If you happen to come across it, please post the link(s).

    Citizen Bob, Oct 2, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:39:53 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >I cant remember if it was you or someone else who bought a LiteOn a while back
    >and was angry that it couldnt record to HD and playback a DVD at the same
    >time? Well it looks like the Philips/Polaroid unit can.

    There are so many different variations I have lost track. I am likely
    going to give it a try - for $200 I can't go wrong with the W-M 90 day
    no questions asked return policy.

    I just wish they has implemented the USB port because then I could
    load my AVIs I get off the Internet. Oh well, as one guy said, you can
    spend the rest of your life bitching that all these DVDRs are crap and
    not enjoy what features they do provide.

    I found out something very significant from reading the Polaroid
    forums and then by direct experiment. Verbatim 4x +RW discs were
    strongly recommended by Cyberhome tech support. He said that's what
    they use. So I got 30 for $30 at Sam's Club about a year ago and have
    used half many times. Now when either the ILO or my old Apex player
    get hot, they will not read. They will read if the units are cold. It
    turns out that the CDFreaks guys only get about 5 uses before they
    crap out. That's disgusting. But I did find out from direct experiment
    that if I do a full erase and then burn at 2.4x instead of 4x, the
    discs will play hot.

    I am tired of screwing with DVD discs. I need a HDD bad so it's just a
    matter of which one. All the other units cost over $300 and that's
    more than I care to spend on crap. W-M offers a very inexpensive ($15)
    2-year extended warranty but to get it for the Polaroid I have to
    apply online (stores have a minimum $300 sale price whereas online has
    a $200 minimum). The Pioneer has 90 days so if I keep it I can get it
    repaired over a 2.25 year period from date of purchase.

    The only remaining issue is that AVI XviD. But even if it won't read
    XvidDs I can use the ILO for a reader. I have an A-B audio-video
    switch box now that makes switching outputs easy.

    I Windows is supported then the MythTV project will be ongoing over
    the next year. Maybe by then the components will be worth the money
    and there will be a decent front end software package available. We
    all know that streaming is the wave of the future, leaving Blu-Ray and
    DVD for rental stores which will probably go out of business once
    streaming becomes widespread. But the industry cannot get greedy or it
    won't work. They have to compete with DVD rental at today's prices. If
    they try to gouge the consumer, people will stick with rental. Of
    course there's always torrents...

    Citizen Bob, Oct 2, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:30:58 GMT, "David R. Birch" <>
    wrote:

    >> Does anyone have this unit? Comments, please. WalMart has it for $220.

    >> I am particularly interested to know if it will play AVI XviD files. I
    >> believe it will play AVI DivX files, but I have not seen anything
    >> explicit about XviD.

    >I have one from WalMart that I've been fooling with for a few weeks.

    >I just quick formated a DVD+RW disk w/ Roxio on my desktop and copied
    >the following to it:

    >Fear.And.Loathing.In.Las.Vegas.1998.Del.Scene.1.XviDVD-ONi.avi
    >Lexx - s1e01 - I Worship His Shadow (Uncut) (DVD Rip - XviD).avi
    >Millennium.S01E01.DVDRip.AC3.XviD-SFM.avi
    >farscape.tpkw1.ws.dvdrip.xvid-river.avi

    >The LEXX episode seemed to have a video blurring problem,

    XviDs codecs are constantly being improved so maybe that video was
    processed by an old one. I have run into that before. You can use
    GSpot to look inside and find what codec was used.

    You can run the AVI thru Auto Gordian Knot and it will clean it up -
    at least it has for me. Just input the AVI and output it as XviD AVI.
    AGK re-renders it with VDubMod. Be sure to have the latest codecs.

    >all others played OK.

    HOT DAMN! You just made my day!

    It's off to WalMart I go tomorrow morning, bright and early.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 2, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    I got the unit at W-M yesterday. This far it appears to work, although
    it did lock up a few times on some AVIs. I was able to recover by
    reversing and fast forwarding thru the bad spots. It could have been a
    dirt spot on the disc because after the third time I cleaned the disc
    and it did not lock up again.

    I would like to see someone build a bare bones system without the hard
    disk, without the DVD burner, without the TV tuner and without the
    remote. That way I could put in my choices. I would choose Western
    Digital Caviar disk, NEC 3550 DVD burner, Hauppauge dual channel TV
    card and a UIC programmable remote. Then the only issues would be the
    support electronics and operating system. The bare bones must have a
    cooling fan, a USB port and Ethernet - and not run Windows. Also the
    HHD needs to be mounted in a removable tray.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 4, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Citizen Bob wrote :

    >I would like to see someone build a bare bones system without the hard
    >disk, without the DVD burner, without the TV tuner and without the
    >remote.

    In other words, an empty box?
    --
    Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

    Paul Hyett, Oct 5, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 06:36:43 GMT, Paul Hyett
    <> wrote:

    >>I would like to see someone build a bare bones system without the hard
    >>disk, without the DVD burner, without the TV tuner and without the
    >>remote.

    >In other words, an empty box?

    Not quite, there would be a user's manual inside.

    There is a lot more to a DVDR than just the handful of components I
    enumerated. Actually you could use a personal computer mainboard,
    power supply and a settop cabinet. Just make sure to get one with a
    fan because excess heat will kill everything inside.

    All the parts are available, however, they are not quite ready for
    prime time. Maybe next year at this time they will be.

    For those interested in building a PVR, I ran across a book at
    amazon.com that will be available next March.

    The Definitive Guide to MythTV: Building a PVR and Media Center PC

    http://tinyurl.com/rpvyb/

    Citizen Bob, Oct 5, 2006