    rid of reflections, and if two filters might help,
    or even a optical grate?

    Peter

    Peter Jason, Nov 19, 2012

  2. Peter Jason

    David Taylor Guest

    On 19/11/2012 00:28, Peter Jason wrote:
    > I want to shoot thru the plate-glass window of a
    > coffee shop.
    >
    > At certain times of the day the reflections from
    > the plate glass obscure everything.
    >
    > I bought a polarizing filter for the camera and
    > adjusted the rotation to give minimum reflection,
    > which helps but there is still too much.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there's some better way to get
    > rid of reflections, and if two filters might help,
    > or even a optical grate?
    >
    > Peter

    Peter, you do know that the best results are obtained when photographing
    at an oblique angle to the window, I suppose?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle#Applications
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 19, 2012

  3. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:15:35 +0000, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >On 19/11/2012 00:28, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> I want to shoot thru the plate-glass window of a
    >> coffee shop.
    >>
    >> At certain times of the day the reflections from
    >> the plate glass obscure everything.
    >>
    >> I bought a polarizing filter for the camera and
    >> adjusted the rotation to give minimum reflection,
    >> which helps but there is still too much.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there's some better way to get
    >> rid of reflections, and if two filters might help,
    >> or even a optical grate?
    >>
    >> Peter

    >Peter, you do know that the best results are obtained when photographing
    >at an oblique angle to the window, I suppose?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle#Applications

    Thanks, I'll read up on it. Sadly my hide is in
    a fixed position and I can't vary the angle.

    Peter Jason, Nov 19, 2012
  4. Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > I want to shoot thru the plate-glass window of a
    > coffee shop.

    > At certain times of the day the reflections from
    > the plate glass obscure everything.

    > I bought a polarizing filter for the camera and
    > adjusted the rotation to give minimum reflection,
    > which helps but there is still too much.

    > Does anyone know if there's some better way to get
    > rid of reflections, and if two filters might help,
    > or even a optical grate?

    2 filters would mean you put the other one on the flash.

    Using a big enough flash with short enough burn time you reduce
    the influence of natural light (and hence it's reflections).
    Reflections of the flash are controlled by the fact that it
    emits polarized light and how that polarisation reacts to
    reflection (filtering the unwanted part again in front of
    your lens).

    You might want to place that light source incide the coffee
    shop, then you can probably forego all that filtering (and
    the light loss it means) as then there's no need to filter
    out the reflections from the flash.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 7, 2012
  5. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:03:17 +0100, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> wrote:

    >Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >> I want to shoot thru the plate-glass window of a
    >> coffee shop.

    >> At certain times of the day the reflections from
    >> the plate glass obscure everything.

    >> I bought a polarizing filter for the camera and
    >> adjusted the rotation to give minimum reflection,
    >> which helps but there is still too much.

    >> Does anyone know if there's some better way to get
    >> rid of reflections, and if two filters might help,
    >> or even a optical grate?

    >2 filters would mean you put the other one on the flash.
    >
    >Using a big enough flash with short enough burn time you reduce
    >the influence of natural light (and hence it's reflections).
    >Reflections of the flash are controlled by the fact that it
    >emits polarized light and how that polarisation reacts to
    >reflection (filtering the unwanted part again in front of
    >your lens).
    >
    >You might want to place that light source incide the coffee
    >shop, then you can probably forego all that filtering (and
    >the light loss it means) as then there's no need to filter
    >out the reflections from the flash.
    >
    >-Wolfgang

    Thanks, but I realize now that the angle of view
    (that cannot be changed in this case) is not right
    for a polarizing filter.

    Peter Jason, Dec 19, 2012
  6. Peter Jason

    DanP Guest

    On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:42:33 PM UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:15:35 +0000, David Taylor
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Peter, you do know that the best results are obtained when photographing
    > >at an oblique angle to the window, I suppose?
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle#Applications

    > Thanks, I'll read up on it. Sadly my hide is in
    > a fixed position and I can't vary the angle.

    If you cannot get close to the glass (makes it easy to block the light) make a list with your fat friends and ask the to stand in the way of the annoying light.

    If you don't have fat mates ask someone to bring a dark umbrella. Or a surfboard if you live down under.

    DanP

    DanP, Dec 20, 2012
  7. On 20-Dec-12 05:19, DanP wrote:
    > On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:42:33 PM UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:15:35 +0000, David Taylor
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Peter, you do know that the best results are obtained when photographing
    >>> at an oblique angle to the window, I suppose?
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle#Applications

    >> Thanks, I'll read up on it. Sadly my hide is in
    >> a fixed position and I can't vary the angle.

    > If you cannot get close to the glass (makes it easy to block the light)
    > make a list with your fat friends and ask the to stand in the way of

    the annoying light.

    > If you don't have fat mates ask someone to bring a dark umbrella. Or a surfboard if you live down under.

    What we do is have negroes stand by the subject to absorb all the
    visible light. We specifically tell the negroes not to smile to ensure
    that no light reflects off of any of their surfaces.

    About 10 negroes in a picture will also act as a neutral density filter
    and the negroes are cheaper than the filter itself, especially for our
    parsimonious jewish friends.

    Kwincay Ercolinowitz, Dec 20, 2012