    TIA

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, Apr 28, 2007

  2. Ockham's Razor

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Yes. There could be some minor loss of picture quality though. I prefer to
    keep the added glass to a minimum.

    Paul Burdett, Apr 28, 2007

  3. Ockham's Razor

    Jim Guest

    > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
    > carrying a cross."
    > Sinclair Lewis

    No, there is no need for a UV filter before or behind a polarizer. You can
    leave it in place, but by so doing you are running the risk of image
    degradation. My theory is the less glass there is in front of the lens the
    better.

    Jim
    Jim, Apr 28, 2007
  4. Ockham's Razor

    jeremy Guest

    > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?

    The polarizer will absorb UV, and if your lens is multi-coated it probably
    does not pass UV anyway. So there is no need to add a UV on top of a
    polarizer.

    With most modern lenses--30 years old and younger--the primary benefit of
    the UV filter is for protection from dust, dirt, smudges and possibly
    impact. If you leave your polarizer on your lens, it will do the same job.

    BUT: polarizers require about 2 extra stops of light, so why would you use
    one unless you needed it to darken skies or to minimize reflections? I use
    a UV to protect my lens, and I take it off when I mount a polarizer. But
    I'd never just leave a polarizer on the lens all the time.
    jeremy, Apr 28, 2007
  5. "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?

    Except for the expensive ones, polarizers are usually uncoated. If your UV
    filter is an inexpensive one, that's very likely uncoated too. Putting a
    polarizer on top of it would therefore put *four* reflecting (as well as
    dust-collecting) glass/air surfaces in front of the lens. I wouldn't want to
    do that.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Apr 28, 2007
  6. Ockham's Razor

    Zen Diver Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?
    >
    > TIA

    Like others have already said the polarizing filter can be mounted on
    top of your UV filter. And yes you may introduce some image degradation
    with the increased glass, although I dare say that most would not
    notice. There is also the risk of vignetting when you stack filters,
    the risk of this increases when using wider angle lenses.

    Best option is to remove your UV filter before using the polarizer, but
    if you are in a dusty or sprayey environment you might not want to
    expose the front element of you lens to contamination

    jon
    Zen Diver, Apr 28, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    > "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?

    > Except for the expensive ones, polarizers are usually uncoated. If your UV
    > filter is an inexpensive one, that's very likely uncoated too. Putting a
    > polarizer on top of it would therefore put *four* reflecting (as well as
    > dust-collecting) glass/air surfaces in front of the lens. I wouldn't want to
    > do that.

    I have ordered a Nikon thin glass double coated polarizing filter. From
    the price I would assume it is one of the "expensive" filters but do not
    know.

    My UV filter has one surface "coated".

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, Apr 28, 2007
  8. "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    >> > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    >> > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?

    >> Except for the expensive ones, polarizers are usually uncoated. If your
    >> UV
    >> filter is an inexpensive one, that's very likely uncoated too. Putting a
    >> polarizer on top of it would therefore put *four* reflecting (as well as
    >> dust-collecting) glass/air surfaces in front of the lens. I wouldn't want
    >> do that.

    > I have ordered a Nikon thin glass double coated polarizing filter. From
    > the price I would assume it is one of the "expensive" filters but do not
    > know.

    Yes, that should be good.

    > My UV filter has one surface "coated".

    I would still use the polarizer alone, not on top of the UV filter.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Apr 28, 2007
  9. Neil Harrington <> wrote:

    : I would still use the polarizer alone, not on top of the UV filter.

    Stacking the two filters will not hamper the function of either filter.
    And for some of us this works fine for our uses. But there is a possiblity
    that stacking will increase the odds of reflections and thus many purests
    avoid using any filter that isn't absolutely necissary for that shot. And
    as others have pointed out the more stacking you do with a wide lens the
    higher the probability of vignetting (the darkening of the corners of the
    image). But for ease of use, under most situations you could stack the
    filters with no problem.

    One thought, unless you are shooting subjects that are moving or about to
    disappear, go ahead and stack, and then look at the result. If there are
    reflection problems or vignetting problems, then just take the time to
    remove the unused filter and reshoot. On the other hand if this is a one
    shot situation, and you have the time to juggle the filters, go ahead and
    take the time to replace the UV with the Pola instead of stacking.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Apr 29, 2007
  10. Ockham's Razor

    tomm42 Guest

    On Apr 27, 7:38 pm, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    > Can this just be screwed on in front of a UV filter that I use to
    > protect the lens or do I have to remove the UV filter first?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
    > carrying a cross."
    > Sinclair Lewis

    I would take off the UV filter, mostly for the stated reasons and if
    you are using even moderate wide angle the filters could create
    vignetting or dark corners in your pics. Using the thin filter will
    decrease the chance, but with the UV you no longer have a "thin"
    filter. Never liked UVs and never missed one.

    Tom
    tomm42, Apr 30, 2007