Polarizing Filter and DiMage-7

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Casey Wilson, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Casey Wilson

    Casey Wilson Guest

    Hello all,

    Long, long ago on a planet far, far away I thought I once found a
    newsgroup dedicated to the Minolta DiMage-7. Perhaps I was being too
    narrow-minded since Google points here for the most part.
    I've been using the D-7 for quite a while and I'm happy with it.
    Recently, I wanted to use the D-7 for a series of store-front shots and
    invested in a Hoya polarizing filter. The polarizer drove me and the D-7
    bonkers! The spot meter refused to function properly, auto-functions
    wouldn't, and the resultant exposures were..., well, crappy.
    Since I never go on a location shoot without backups, I ended up doing
    the shoot on film. The only penalty was having to digitize the negatives. I
    had enough slack built into the schedule to get the job done on time.
    Is this a problem with all digital cameras? Anybody out there use
    another brand of polarizer successfully on the D-7? Can someone explain the
    physics of my problem in lay terms?

    Regards,

    Casey Wilson
    Freelance Writer and Photographer

    Casey Wilson, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Casey Wilson

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <iATed.2828$8W6.1612@trnddc05>,
    "Casey Wilson" <> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Long, long ago on a planet far, far away I thought I once found a
    > newsgroup dedicated to the Minolta DiMage-7. Perhaps I was being too
    > narrow-minded since Google points here for the most part.
    > I've been using the D-7 for quite a while and I'm happy with it.
    > Recently, I wanted to use the D-7 for a series of store-front shots and
    > invested in a Hoya polarizing filter. The polarizer drove me and the D-7
    > bonkers! The spot meter refused to function properly, auto-functions
    > wouldn't, and the resultant exposures were..., well, crappy.
    > Since I never go on a location shoot without backups, I ended up doing
    > the shoot on film. The only penalty was having to digitize the negatives. I
    > had enough slack built into the schedule to get the job done on time.
    > Is this a problem with all digital cameras? Anybody out there use
    > another brand of polarizer successfully on the D-7? Can someone explain the
    > physics of my problem in lay terms?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Casey Wilson
    > Freelance Writer and Photographer

    Next time buy a circular polarizer rather then the linear one you did
    buy. You simply used the wrong type of polarizer.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Oct 25, 2004