    every shot)TIA.

    Dave
    --
    Dave, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Dave

    Skip Guest

    Skip, Nov 3, 2006

  3. Dave wrote:
    > I'm looking to get a circular polarizer to use with my Canon
    > A620(already have the adapter).Should I stick to Hoya HMC or does
    > anybody know anything about Quantaray Pro filters.The guy at Ritz Camera
    > is pushing the Quanta but I don't want garbage for a little less
    > price.Got a cheap UV filter like that(say hi to Casper the ghost in
    > every shot)TIA.
    >
    > Dave

    Quantaray are minimally OK, but not great in my experience.
    I've used them on 4x5 cameras in a pinch when I was unable
    to get a replacement after breaking my Hoya filter.
    I've had worse Tiffen filters (not plane parallel and produced
    soft images with 200 mm telephoto). I've also had good
    Tiffen filters. The point is check the filter before you
    buy it.

    Polarized Light and Evaluating Polarizing Filters
    http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/evaluating_polarizing_filters

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 3, 2006
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > Quantaray is Ritz' housebrand, not known for absolute quality. Of course,
    > the gnu behind the counter is pushing it...

    Thx...kinda what I suspected.Nice to hear instincts confirmed.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 3, 2006
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to get a circular polarizer to use with my Canon
    >> A620(already have the adapter).Should I stick to Hoya HMC or does
    >> anybody know anything about Quantaray Pro filters.The guy at Ritz
    >> Camera is pushing the Quanta but I don't want garbage for a little
    >> less price.Got a cheap UV filter like that(say hi to Casper the ghost
    >> in every shot)TIA.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Quantaray are minimally OK, but not great in my experience.
    > I've used them on 4x5 cameras in a pinch when I was unable
    > to get a replacement after breaking my Hoya filter.
    > I've had worse Tiffen filters (not plane parallel and produced
    > soft images with 200 mm telephoto). I've also had good
    > Tiffen filters. The point is check the filter before you
    > buy it.
    >
    > Polarized Light and Evaluating Polarizing Filters
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/evaluating_polarizing_filters
    >
    > Roger

    I've only seen Tiffen on Amazon and the prices made me suspicious as too
    quality(if it sounds too good etc)Wasn't familiar with Quanta.Guess I'll
    stick to what I first thought..Hoya. Thx for the feedback.

    Dave

    --
    "...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
    with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
    Dave, Nov 3, 2006
  6. Dave

    Skip Guest

    Skip, Nov 3, 2006
  7. Dave

    jeremy Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to get a circular polarizer to use with my Canon A620(already
    > have the adapter).Should I stick to Hoya HMC or does anybody know anything
    > about Quantaray Pro filters.The guy at Ritz Camera is pushing the Quanta
    > but I don't want garbage for a little less price.Got a cheap UV filter
    > like that(say hi to Casper the ghost in every shot)TIA.
    >
    > Dave
    > --

    Who makes them this month? I've never heard anything good about the
    Quanterray brand, and as far as I know, they do not manufacture anything
    themselves.

    Your filter is part of your optical system. Why compromise, just to save a
    couple of bucks?
    jeremy, Nov 3, 2006
  8. Dave

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    jeremy wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking to get a circular polarizer to use with my Canon A620(already
    > > have the adapter).Should I stick to Hoya HMC or does anybody know anything
    > > about Quantaray Pro filters.The guy at Ritz Camera is pushing the Quanta
    > > but I don't want garbage for a little less price.Got a cheap UV filter
    > > like that(say hi to Casper the ghost in every shot)TIA.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > > --

    > Who makes them this month? I've never heard anything good about the
    > Quanterray brand, and as far as I know, they do not manufacture anything
    > themselves.

    Quantaray is an American name brand.

    They buy the best mcd they can and have their name put on it.

    They don'y buy garbage. They know garbage only causes problems, which
    takes up their time... and profits.

    > Your filter is part of your optical system. Why compromise, just to save a
    > couple of bucks?

    Buy the best filter you can afford but there really is little
    difference in the results between brands.

    FYI Super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep clean.
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 3, 2006
  9. Dave

    embee Guest

    "Skip" <> wrote in message
    > God I love spell check. "Gnu" should read "guy!" Not sure where that one
    > came from...;-)
    >
    > --

    Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu

    Maybe you weren't so far out first time.... :)
    embee, Nov 3, 2006
  10. Dave

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:
    > to get a replacement after breaking my Hoya filter.

    Hoya has a bunch of different lines of varying prices. Green label,
    blue label, purple label, HMC, Pro 1 Digital, etc. Whether they're
    really different from each other, I have no idea.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 3, 2006
  11. Dave

    Skip Guest

    "embee" <> wrote in message

    > "Skip" <> wrote in message
    >> God I love spell check. "Gnu" should read "guy!" Not sure where that
    >> one came from...;-)
    >>
    >> --

    > Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu
    >
    > Maybe you weren't so far out first time.... :)

    Yeah, maybe not. No Gnus is good Gnus...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip, Nov 3, 2006
  12. Dave

    Skip Guest

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > Quantaray is an American name brand.
    >
    > They buy the best mcd they can and have their name put on it.
    >
    > They don'y buy garbage. They know garbage only causes problems, which
    > takes up their time... and profits.
    >
    >> Your filter is part of your optical system. Why compromise, just to save
    >> couple of bucks?

    > Buy the best filter you can afford but there really is little
    > difference in the results between brands.
    >
    > FYI Super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep clean.

    You're serious, aren't you? I mean about the whole post, not just that last
    statement.

    Skip, Nov 3, 2006
  13. Dave

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Quantaray is an American name brand.
    > >
    > > They buy the best mcd they can and have their name put on it.
    > >
    > > They don'y buy garbage. They know garbage only causes problems, which
    > > takes up their time... and profits.
    > >
    > >> Your filter is part of your optical system. Why compromise, just to save
    > >> couple of bucks?

    > > Buy the best filter you can afford but there really is little
    > > difference in the results between brands.
    > >
    > > FYI Super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep clean.
    > >

    > You're serious, aren't you? I mean about the whole post, not just that last
    > statement.

    Yes.
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 3, 2006
  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave wrote:

    Thanks for all the help people. Guess there's nothing better than try
    and try some more till you find what works for you.I did want to avoid
    the garbage though for the price diff.I was finding Hoya HMC for $70-$75
    and the Quanta was around $55.Not worth it for the unknown factor looks
    like.

    Dave
    Dave, Nov 3, 2006
  15. Dave

    > Skip wrote:
    >> "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Quantaray is an American name brand.
    >> >
    >> > They buy the best mcd they can and have their name put on it.
    >> >
    >> > They don'y buy garbage. They know garbage only causes problems, which
    >> > takes up their time... and profits.

    >> > Buy the best filter you can afford but there really is little
    >> > difference in the results between brands.
    >> >
    >> > FYI Super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep clean.
    >> >

    >> You're serious, aren't you? I mean about the whole post, not just that
    >> last
    >> statement.

    > Yes.

    Then would you like to explain why their lenses are usually bottom feeder
    Sigma and Tamrons and Cosinas, their film cameras were Sigma? The build
    quality of all of them were execrable. Being an American name brand is no
    assurance of quality. All it really is an assurance of is maximized profit.
    Quantaray's customer service is legendarily nonexistent, which would account
    for them not caring that "garbage only causes problems." It doesn't cost
    them any money, because they've already made the sale.
    And there is a huge difference between brands of filters, Would you like to
    explain how and why super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep
    clean?
    Skip, Nov 4, 2006
  16. Dave

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Skip wrote:
    > >> "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > >> You're serious, aren't you? I mean about the whole post, not just that
    > >> last
    > >> statement.

    > > Yes.
    > >

    > Then would you like to explain why their lenses are usually bottom feeder
    > Sigma and Tamrons and Cosinas,

    Because that's what they sell the most of.

    > their film cameras were Sigma?

    Sigma was probably happy to have another outlet for their cameras.

    And non of the majors would sell a camera with someone else's name on
    it.

    > The build
    > quality of all of them were execrable.

    "All of them?"

    I think you'd have a difficult time proving that.

    > Being an American name brand is no
    > assurance of quality.

    I didn't say it was.

    > All it really is an assurance of is maximized profit.

    First, profit isn't a dirty word.

    It's what keeps companies in business... and people employed.

    And the profit in the retail photo industry stinks.

    Even if it's mcd with your own name on it.

    > Quantaray's customer service is legendarily nonexistent, which would account
    > for them not caring that "garbage only causes problems." It doesn't cost
    > them any money, because they've already made the sale.

    Garbage costs them customers.

    And mcd that gets returned as garbage is a total loss.

    > And there is a huge difference between brands of filters,

    In what way?

    > Would you like to
    > explain how and why super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep
    > clean?

    They seem to attract dust.

    Why? I don't exactly know.
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 4, 2006
  17. Dan Sullivan wrote:
    > Skip wrote:
    >>Would you like to
    >>explain how and why super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep
    >>clean?

    > They seem to attract dust.
    >
    > Why? I don't exactly know.

    Dust attraction by multi-coated doesn't happen in my experience.
    I use Hoya multicoated filters and attracting dust is
    simply not a problem.

    Regarding your other contention of Quantaray filters
    being high quality, that also is not my experience.
    I would rate the ones I got in an emergency minimally
    OK. I replaced them with better performance filters
    as the earliest possibility.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 4, 2006
  18. Dave

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    > Dan Sullivan wrote:
    > > Skip wrote:
    > >>Would you like to
    > >>explain how and why super multicoated filters are very difficult to keep
    > >>clean?

    > > They seem to attract dust.
    > >
    > > Why? I don't exactly know.

    > Dust attraction by multi-coated doesn't happen in my experience.
    > I use Hoya multicoated filters and attracting dust is
    > simply not a problem.

    OK.

    > Regarding your other contention of Quantaray filters
    > being high quality, that also is not my experience.

    I didn't contend that Quantaray filters were high quality or not.

    I simply said "Buy the best filter you can afford but there really is
    little difference in the results between brands."

    > I would rate the ones I got in an emergency minimally
    > OK. I replaced them with better performance filters
    > as the earliest possibility.

    What was the difference?
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 4, 2006
  19. Dave

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:
    > Dust attraction by multi-coated doesn't happen in my experience.
    > I use Hoya multicoated filters and attracting dust is
    > simply not a problem.

    I've heard the same story. I don't know if it's true or not. The
    version I heard applied specifically to multicoated polarizers, not
    multicoated filters in general. Apparently normal multicoatings on
    glass are applied at high temperatures, not high enough to bother the
    glass, but high enough to melt or warp the plastic film inside
    polarizers. So they have to use some other kind of coatings that
    attract dust more. This supposedly is why polarizers usually are not
    multicoated. Apparently (according to the story) in recent years
    there have been some technical advances in coatings so this is not
    such a problem any more, and multicoated polarizers are becoming more
    common.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 4, 2006
  20. Dan Sullivan wrote:
    >>I would rate the ones I got in an emergency minimally
    >>OK. I replaced them with better performance filters
    >>as the earliest possibility.

    > What was the difference?

    The Quantaray's were not very good circular polarizers.
    The quarter-wave plate was not very good quality and gave
    more color shift than a better polarizer. The surfaces were
    quite flat though, and the optical quality was fine.
    That is why I rated them as minimally OK but replaced them.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 4, 2006