    if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
    program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
    cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.
    NIW653, Jan 30, 2005

  2. NIW653

    imbsysop Guest

    "NIW653" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was
    > wondering
    > if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full
    > auto,
    > program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat
    > the
    > cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

    a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter aka it will cost you up to 2 F
    stops in light
    the camera settings will be of little importance as it will work in all
    modes providing one uses the correct way of working ..

    find info at
    http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm

    amongst lots of others ..

    HTH
    imbsysop, Jan 30, 2005

  3. (NIW653) wrote in

    > Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was
    > wondering if there was any specific settings in which it would work
    > best(like Full auto, program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full
    > manual in order to defeat the cameras tendency to compensate for the
    > filter?I hope that makes sense.

    Just use it as you are used to do. It will work just fine.
    Maybe, maybe, maybe you shall underexpose just slightly
    to enhance the colors. Try it - it might not be neccessary.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jan 30, 2005
  4. NIW653

    Sheldon Guest

    I would let the camera compensate for the filter. I've used a polarizer on
    a cheap P and S and it worked just fine, exposures were perfect. I think
    I'm going to get one for my new DSLR as the results can be quite dramatic.

    Sheldon, Jan 31, 2005
  5. NIW653

    Ken Tough Guest

    NIW653 <> wrote:

    >Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was wondering
    >if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
    >program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
    >cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

    You do know to rotate the filter, right?

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Jan 31, 2005
  6. NIW653

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:43:35 +0200, Ken Tough <>
    wrote:

    >NIW653 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just got a circular polarizer filter for use with my Canon G6 and was wondering
    >>if there was any specific settings in which it would work best(like Full auto,
    >>program,etc.)In a word, is it best to go to full manual in order to defeat the
    >>cameras tendency to compensate for the filter?I hope that makes sense.

    >You do know to rotate the filter, right?

    ...and point it at the sky?

    (joke).

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Jan 31, 2005
  7. NIW653

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter>

    Almost every filter, except UV and haze, absorb some visible light and exposure
    adjustments are therefore necessary. It would be a shame if anyone read this
    and presumed that pol filters and ND filters were for the same purpose and
    could be used interchangeably.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Feb 1, 2005
  8. NIW653

    imbsysop Guest

    On 01 Feb 2005 21:01:44 GMT, (BandHPhoto) wrote:

    ><a polarizer acts as a neutral density filter>
    >
    >Almost every filter, except UV and haze, absorb some visible light and exposure
    >adjustments are therefore necessary. It would be a shame if anyone read this
    >and presumed that pol filters and ND filters were for the same purpose and
    >could be used interchangeably.

    ".. acting as ..." != identical ..

    besides anyone into photography not understanding the difference
    between ND & Pol. should not be using them let alone talk about them
    imbsysop, Feb 2, 2005