    Provides the same filter effects as a Linear Polarizer, but is designed to work with auto focus cameras with beam splitting metering. The Circular Polarizer has linear polarizer construction plus a built-in "Wave Retardant" to ensure proper exposure. The linear element polarizes the light, and the wave retardant de-polarizes it, and then the beam-splitting meter polarizes the light again for proper exposure. The use of a Linear Polarizer with a beam-splitting meter will result in underexposure.

    My question - does the 10D have "beam splitting metering?" I have never come across this phrase before and it looks like it would be a good idea for me to find out now rather than regret it when I buy the wrong kind of filter!

    Thanks.

    Mike, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Mike

    Robertwgross Guest

    Mike wrote:
    >Hi, I am looking into buying a polarizing filter to use on a Canon 10D. = ...

    You want a circular polarizer for a Canon 10D.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Mike

    GT40 Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:18:43 +0100, "Mike" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I am looking into buying a polarizing filter to use on a Canon 10D.

    You need a circular one.

    GT40, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Mike wrote:
    > Hi, I am looking into buying a polarizing filter to use on a Canon 10D.
    > I've been reading up about this aspect of photography on various
    > websites and I came across one which mentions the difference between
    > Linear and Circular polarizers. Here's what it says about Circular
    > Polarizers:
    >
    > /CIRCULAR POLARIZER /
    > /Provides the same filter effects as a Linear Polarizer, but is designed
    > to work with auto focus cameras with beam splitting metering. The
    > Circular Polarizer has linear polarizer construction plus a built-in
    > "Wave Retardant" to ensure proper exposure. The linear element polarizes
    > the light, and the wave retardant de-polarizes it, and then the
    > beam-splitting meter polarizes the light again for proper exposure. The
    > use of a Linear Polarizer with a beam-splitting meter will result in
    > underexposure./
    >
    > My question - does the 10D have "beam splitting metering?" I have never
    > come across this phrase before and it looks like it would be a good idea
    > for me to find out now rather than regret it when I buy the wrong kind
    > of filter!
    >
    > Thanks.

    What all this means is that the light that reaches the
    auto-focus system has been directed there through a beam
    splitter: a partially silvered mirror, so some light
    passes through, and some light is reflected. A result is
    the light becomes partially linearly polarized.
    If you put 2 linear polarizers together and rotate them,
    the light becomes virtually 100% blocked (0% transmission)
    when the polarizers are at 90 degrees. Thus if
    you put a linear polarizer on these cameras, depending
    on the angle of the polarizer, it can affect autofocus,
    or light metering, or both. The circular polarizer
    is a linear polarizer plus a 1/4-wave plate which
    changes the phase of the linear polarization resulting
    in circular polarization, which will not be affected
    by the bean splitter in a way that will hurt camera
    operation. (I know that last part is technical,
    but that's the best I can do in a short paragraph).
    You can probably google search for circular polarizer
    technical details and get a clearer explanation.
    The bottom line is only use a circular polarizer on
    autofocus cameras. They cost more because of the added
    optical element, the 1/4-wave plate.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 12, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks to everyone who put me straight on this one :)

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mike, Oct 12, 2004
  6. In Message-ID:<> posted on Mon, 11 Oct 2004
    20:23:21 -0600, Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:

    >The bottom line is only use a circular polarizer on
    >autofocus cameras. They cost more because of the added
    >optical element, the 1/4-wave plate.

    I think the auto exposure reading on my Canon S1 is done by an
    evaluation of light hitting the CCD, and therefore not subject to
    polarity corruption, but does anyone know if the auto focus is likewise,
    such that a LP filter would not adversely affect it?
    There was some talk of the auto focus comparing adjacent pixels etc. and
    no mention of the light beam being split through some semi transparent
    or polarity sensitive arrangement.
    --

    JK

    Justín Käse, Oct 12, 2004