    and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    Thanks in advance,
    Will

    W.Henry, Jul 11, 2006

  2. W.Henry

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jul 11, 2006

  3. W.Henry

    Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote:

    |>Without Any Hesitation, W.Henry Wrote The Following:
    |>> Ok folks, this is serious:
    |>> My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad case of
    |>> poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
    |>> hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl helped
    |>> stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes back.Anyone
    |>> out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't a joke
    |>> and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    |>> Thanks in advance,
    |>> Will

    |>http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

    Should be in bloom and all over... http://tinyurl.com/ev6jj google
    pix.

    --
    http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling

    , Jul 11, 2006
  4. W.Henry

    W.Henry Guest

    <> wrote in message
    : Old Gringo <> wrote:
    :
[...]
    : --
    : http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling

    Thanks good people,I need to go to the creek and find me some
    Jewelweed....after work tomorrow that is :)

    W.Henry, Jul 11, 2006
  5. W.Henry

    JANA Guest

    Below is one of the best articles I have seen about how to deal with poison
    ivy.

    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990823a.cfm

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 11, 2006
  6. W.Henry

    Gordon Guest

    "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    > Ok folks, this is serious:
    > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad case of
    > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
    > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl helped
    > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes back.Anyone
    > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't a
    > joke
    > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Will

    Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching chicken
    pox spots with great effect.

    Gordon, Jul 11, 2006
  7. W.Henry

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    > > Ok folks, this is serious:
    > > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad case of
    > > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
    > > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl helped
    > > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes back.Anyone
    > > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't a
    > > joke
    > > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    > > Thanks in advance,>

    > Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching chicken
    > pox spots with great effect.

    I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
    to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
    had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.

    I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    Prednisone is working very well.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jul 11, 2006
  8. W.Henry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >> "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    >> > Ok folks, this is serious:
    >> > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad
    >> > case of poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to
    >> > witch hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like
    >> > benedryl helped stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it
    >> > comes back.Anyone out there have any folk cures or things like that to
    >> > help? This isn't a joke
    >> > and I'm as serious as a heart attack. Thanks in advance,>

    >> Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
    >> chicken pox spots with great effect.

    > I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
    > to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
    > had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
    >
    > I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I already
    > see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this Prednisone is
    > working very well.

    Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2006
  9. W.Henry

    ellis_jay Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> lid says...
    >>> "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
    >>> chicken pox spots with great effect.

    >> I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it
    >> spread to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them.
    >> Like the OP, I had already tried everything on the market that I
    >> could get OC.
    >>
    >> I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    >> already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    >> Prednisone is working very well.

    > Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

    Someone already posed this:

    http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

    It grows all around this area........

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jul 11, 2006
  10. W.Henry

    Leythos Guest

    In article <-meatplow.local>,
    l says...
    > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > lid says...
    > >> "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
    > >> chicken pox spots with great effect.

    > > I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
    > > to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
    > > had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
    > >
    > > I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I already
    > > see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this Prednisone is
    > > working very well.

    > Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

    I tried that for a couple days and it didn't seem to help - it actually
    made the rash/bumps inflamed... I can already see a big difference after
    1 day of taking the Prednisone.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jul 11, 2006
  11. W.Henry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:59 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it
    >>> spread to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like
    >>> the OP, I had already tried everything on the market that I could get
    >>> OC.
    >>>
    >>> I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    >>> already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    >>> Prednisone is working very well.

    >> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

    > Someone already posed this:
    >
    > http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
    >
    > It grows all around this area........

    I've seen it growing wild here...

    I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
    However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him out.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2006
  12. W.Henry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:53:39 +0000, Leythos wrote:

    > In article <-meatplow.local>,
    > l says...
    >> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:39:32 +0000, Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <>,
    >> > lid says...

    >> > I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it
    >> > spread to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like
    >> > the OP, I had already tried everything on the market that I could get
    >> > OC.
    >> >
    >> > I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    >> > already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    >> > Prednisone is working very well.

    >> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

    > I tried that for a couple days and it didn't seem to help - it actually
    > made the rash/bumps inflamed... I can already see a big difference after 1
    > day of taking the Prednisone.

    I had an allergic reaction to some meds that caused a bad and itchy rash.
    Benedryl really saved my ass. My kid got PI and it really helped him too.
    But I guess just like many things, some meds don't work for some people.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2006
  13. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:45:59 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Just take Benedryl every 4 hours until the PI runs its course.

    >> Someone already posed this:
    >>
    >> http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
    >>
    >> It grows all around this area........

    > I've seen it growing wild here...
    >
    > I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
    > However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him
    > out.

    I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

    I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I would
    use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were bad enough
    to warrant a trip to the doctor.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 11, 2006
  14. W.Henry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:11:42 -0400, Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Someone already posed this:
    >>>
    >>> http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
    >>>
    >>> It grows all around this area........

    >> I've seen it growing wild here...
    >>
    >> I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
    >> However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him out.

    > I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.
    >
    > I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I would
    > use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were bad enough
    > to warrant a trip to the doctor.

    I took Meat Jr. to his pedatrician and he recommended the Benedryl and
    Aveeno oatmeal. My experience with topical anti-itchy creams is they
    provide a far less amount of comfort than a systemic med. Plus the
    Benedryl has a sedative effect so it made him sleepy and gave him itch
    releif. I itched for a couple weeks after taking some SMZ/TMP and the
    Benedryl stopped it completely at first every 4 hours then 6 and finally
    once a day.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2006
  15. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:11:42 -0400, Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I've seen it growing wild here...
    >>>
    >>> I'm not allergic to PI. I can rub it on my arm until my arm is red.
    >>> However my son is very allergic and the Benedryl really helped him
    >>> out.

    >> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.
    >>
    >> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
    >> would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
    >> bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.
    >>

    > I took Meat Jr. to his pedatrician and he recommended the Benedryl and
    > Aveeno oatmeal.

    Oatmeal is very good for soothing the itch. I wasn't thinking about
    natural topical remedies.

    > My experience with topical anti-itchy creams is they
    > provide a far less amount of comfort than a systemic med. Plus the
    > Benedryl has a sedative effect so it made him sleepy and gave him itch
    > releif. I itched for a couple weeks after taking some SMZ/TMP and the
    > Benedryl stopped it completely at first every 4 hours then 6 and
    > finally once a day.

    My daughter had mycoplasma pneumonia, and she broke out in hives that
    nearly drove her insane. It was as if she'd rolled in poison ivy.
    There's not much that will send her over the edge, but for this, she
    treated us to a meltdown the like of which you've never seen.

    She still has some scars from the scratching. The doctor finally gave
    her oral steroids, because nothing else worked, and I'm pretty sure she
    tried every remedy already mentioned in this thread.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 11, 2006
  16. Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

    > I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

    With Hellman's Mayonnaise on wheat bread.

    > I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
    > would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
    > bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.

    Here's one for y'all. As a 15-year-old, I got a super case of poison
    ivy. There wasn't a square inch left without a rash. (Yes, you needn't
    ask.) My eyes, between fingers, and elbow bends were swelling up badly,
    and here's what the family doctor recommended: cover all the swelling
    parts with cold oatmeal. For the eyes, soak a washcloth in the oatmeal,
    fold and cover the eyes.

    How did I get such a bad case? A neighbor decided to burn a mess of the
    bushes, and I got in the smoke.

    In 50 more years, I have never had the stuff.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 11, 2006
  17. W.Henry

    W.Henry Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    : In article <>,
    : lid says...
    : > "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    : > news:mcCsg.6340$Ep.5694@trnddc08...
    : > > Ok folks, this is serious:
    : > > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad
    case of
    : > > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
    : > > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl
    helped
    : > > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes
    back.Anyone
    : > > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't
    : > > joke
    : > > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    : > > Thanks in advance,>
    : >
    : > Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
    chicken
    : > pox spots with great effect.
    :
    : I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
    : to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
    : had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
    :
    : I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    : already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    : Prednisone is working very well.

    Yeah my wife and daghter got some prednisone and I dunno about the itch
    relief but just damn,it has her going from zero to total bitch in less than
    60 seconds!
    I was however warned ahead of time about that side affect so I'll be
    spending more time down at the creek with a fly rod .It's either there or
    the tavern.

    :
    : --
    :
    :
    : remove 999 in order to email me

    W.Henry, Jul 11, 2006
  18. W.Henry

    Leythos Guest

    In article <%8Usg.7397$Zf.5738@trnddc04>,
    says...

    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > : In article <>,
    > : lid says...
    > : > "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:mcCsg.6340$Ep.5694@trnddc08...
    > : > > Ok folks, this is serious:
    > : > > My wife and daughter were doing yard work last week and got a mad
    > case of
    > : > > poison ivy . They tried everything from calamine lotion to witch
    > : > > hazel,bleach and god knows what else.Anyihystimines like benedryl
    > helped
    > : > > stop the itching for awhile but after about 4 hours it comes
    > back.Anyone
    > : > > out there have any folk cures or things like that to help? This isn't
    > : > > joke
    > : > > and I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    > : > > Thanks in advance,>
    > : >
    > : > Rhus Tox - it's a homeopathic remedy and we have used it for itching
    > chicken
    > : > pox spots with great effect.
    > :
    > : I've been fighting PI for over two weeks and over last weekend it spread
    > : to my hands to the point that it was painful to use them. Like the OP, I
    > : had already tried everything on the market that I could get OC.
    > :
    > : I went to the doc on Monday AM, was given Prednisone, and today I
    > : already see a big difference. While I don't like taking pills, this
    > : Prednisone is working very well.
    >
    > Yeah my wife and daghter got some prednisone and I dunno about the itch
    > relief but just damn,it has her going from zero to total bitch in less than
    > 60 seconds!
    > I was however warned ahead of time about that side affect so I'll be
    > spending more time down at the creek with a fly rod .It's either there or
    > the tavern.

    It's not changed anything that anyone can see in my, I'm always a hard-a
    $$ type. I would imagine any woman that got PI enough to need medication
    would have it in places that would make them real crabby.

    For me it would be leaving to go to the range with my rifle for a day of
    target shooting - nothing more relaxing to me.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jul 11, 2006
  19. W.Henry

    Frosty Guest

    Allergies was Re: poison ivy

    On or about Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:56:59 GMT, an entity identified as
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> proudly
    proclaimed:

    >Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> I've eaten the leaves with no ill effect.

    >With Hellman's Mayonnaise on wheat bread.
    >
    >> I think Fels Naptha dries it out best, however, and that's what I
    >> would use--in combination with hydrocortisone cream--unless it were
    >> bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.

    >Here's one for y'all. As a 15-year-old, I got a super case of poison
    >ivy. There wasn't a square inch left without a rash. (Yes, you needn't
    >ask.) My eyes, between fingers, and elbow bends were swelling up badly,
    >and here's what the family doctor recommended: cover all the swelling
    >parts with cold oatmeal. For the eyes, soak a washcloth in the oatmeal,
    >fold and cover the eyes.
    >
    >How did I get such a bad case? A neighbor decided to burn a mess of the
    >bushes, and I got in the smoke.
    >
    >In 50 more years, I have never had the stuff.

    Ain't that funny about allergies!

    I used to be SO allergic to cats my eyes would puff up 'til closed &
    hives would appear everywhere.

    So naturally I got a job bathing cats!

    Now, 30 years later I can hold any random cat to my face and breath
    through the fur. No reaction (except sometimes random cats don't like
    to be breathed through.)

    Frosty
    --
    Here kitty, kitty, kitty...where IS that damned cat?
    http://www.amystaxidermy.com/pages/cats.htm

    Frosty, Jul 12, 2006
  20. W.Henry

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Allergies was Re: poison ivy

    On 2006-07-12, Frosty <> wrote:

    snip

    > Now, 30 years later I can hold any random cat to my face and breath
    > through the fur. No reaction (except sometimes random cats don't like
    > to be breathed through.)
    >
    > Frosty

    Tricky chaps, random cats. Chap called Schroedinger found one in a box
    once; caused no end of uncertainty thereafter.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 12, 2006