Pointsec, ghost, imaging

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by PeterCupit, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. PeterCupit

    PeterCupit Guest

    I am attempting to create a set of bootable recovery DVD's for
    laptops. Everything works fine except that the laptops (when our
    system is complete) will be encrypted using Pointsec (unless we can go
    through a complex procedure to get exemption). Obviously if the
    laptops have normal sized drives then we will need too large a set of
    DVD's to store the drive image on - the drive will be mostly empty.

    I am wondering if it would be possible to create a small partition eg
    4GB to store XP, and our application on, could this be used to reduce
    the size of the image?

    Also wondering if Pointsec is anything like PGP disk encryption where
    the location of sectors on the drive matters so if a restore is done
    to a different drive than that on which it was created the encrypted
    information is reduced to garbage due to a different pattern of bad
    sectors?

    Any help / information would be appreciated.

    Thanks. Peter Cupit

    PeterCupit, Feb 15, 2007

  2. PeterCupit

    Bogwitch Guest

    Hi Peter,

    PeterCupit wrote:
    > I am attempting to create a set of bootable recovery DVD's for
    > laptops. Everything works fine except that the laptops (when our
    > system is complete) will be encrypted using Pointsec (unless we can go
    > through a complex procedure to get exemption).

    [snip]

    You say that when your system is complete, the HDDs will be encrypted.
    I'm not sure which of Pointsecs offerings you are using, so, does the
    software allow you to encrypt the disk retrospectively? If that is the
    case, it would be easy to take a snapshot of the drive prior to
    encrypting it.

    Also, please bear in mind that if you are using the SAME encrypted
    image, the key material will be the same for all laptops. I assume that
    you could assign different passwords to each of the laptops after the
    HDD restore, but the actual KEY material will be the same, leaving your
    systems slightly more vulnerable.

    You say there is a complex procedure to get exemptions. This suggests
    that there is a higher authority or Accreditor that you will need to
    satisfy with your solution. It may well be worth checking if using the
    same crypto key material is acceptable to them.

    > I am wondering if it would be possible to create a small partition eg
    > 4GB to store XP, and our application on, could this be used to reduce
    > the size of the image?

    As for the smaller partition, I don't know. You would have to refer to
    the software manual to check. If it is possible, it will leave a very
    large area of the HDD that is not encrypted. That is likely to be the
    area where data is stored and more likely to need encryption.

    > Also wondering if Pointsec is anything like PGP disk encryption where

    Sorry, I've not touched PGP disk encryption.

    Hope this helps,

    Bogwitch.

    Bogwitch, Feb 15, 2007