Pointing anonymous SIP calls at Betamax a clone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Nov 15, 2013.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Just a heads-up really in case anyone has experienced this issue.

    With a device that is limited to a single SIP account I have found it
    useful to point incoming calls to the account used by the device for
    outgoing calls.

    For example, I use voipcheap.co.uk used for outgoing, I point a ukddi
    and/or ipkall number to the uri and hey
    presto my single account device works for outgoing and multiple
    incoming all with separate providers.

    For someone else, I set up a voipcheap.co.uk account permanently
    forwarded to his mobile, and ukddi and callcenric numbers forwarded
    by SIP URI in the same way.

    Both of the above scenarios have ceased working in the past few days.

    I quickly cobbled together a plan B to get it all working much as
    before albeit with less direct routing, but I did like the simplicity
    of the original method

    I suppose the issue is that voipcheap have stopped accepting anonymous
    SIP calls, in line with other services like sipgate.co.uk

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 15, 2013

  2. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:54:40 +0000, alexd <>
    wrote:

    >Graham. (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose the issue is that voipcheap have stopped accepting anonymous
    >> SIP calls, in line with other services like sipgate.co.uk

    >It would be good if you could tick a box on your account, and they create a
    >DNS entry like username.sip.voipcheap.co.uk pointing at the IP address
    >you've registered from. That way you could accept anonymous calls by
    >publishing your address, if you choose to.
    >
    >It doesn't cause any net decrease in security, if you assume that the VoIP
    >scanners know that you're online accepting requests, if you are, because
    >they're constantly scanning 5060/UDP on every public IP.
    >
    >alexd

    I was just looking at a flowroute.com account (see later thread), it
    seems to have that functionality if I havn't misunderstood it.

    "Outbound Allowed IPs
    These are the IP addresses from which you are sending outbound traffic
    for IP-authenticated calls. Calls authenticated using SIP registration
    will still be permitted regardless of your outbound allowed IP list"
    (It allows you to enter a list of IPs)

    Does that mean "outbound" from the POV of your callers?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 16, 2013

  3. On 16/11/13 20:58, Graham. wrote:

    > "Outbound Allowed IPs
    > These are the IP addresses from which you are sending outbound traffic
    > for IP-authenticated calls. Calls authenticated using SIP registration
    > will still be permitted regardless of your outbound allowed IP list"
    > (It allows you to enter a list of IPs)
    >
    > Does that mean "outbound" from the POV of your callers?

    It fairly clearly means outbound from your point of view. You are
    allowed to initiate SIP calls when either:

    1) you are using a machine with one of a small number of known IP addresses;

    2) you authenticate yourself with a password.

    David Woolley, Dec 11, 2013