    a book (that is not expensive).

    TIA
    Mark
    Mark, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Mark

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an ADSL ethernet modem and I want to insert IP filtering rules to
    > prevent my home network from being hijacked from the outside.
    > Could someone point me a to a web page giving instructions or recommend
    > a book (that is not expensive).
    >
    > TIA
    > Mark

    Just install zonealarm or similar.
    Jedmeister, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Mark wrote:
    > I have an ADSL ethernet modem and I want to insert IP filtering rules to
    > prevent my home network from being hijacked from the outside.
    > Could someone point me a to a web page giving instructions or recommend
    > a book (that is not expensive).

    unless you're using real-world IP address's on your internal network,
    and you have the routing setup correctly(unlikely seeing as you're
    asking this question), then you've probably done enough.

    If you still want more security, unplug the lot, it's the only way to be
    100% certain that no-one gonna come down the line and get you.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Mark

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:52:51 +1200, Mark wrote:

    > I have an ADSL ethernet modem and I want to insert IP filtering rules to
    > prevent my home network from being hijacked from the outside. Could
    > someone point me a to a web page giving instructions or recommend a book
    > (that is not expensive).

    An ethernet modem?

    If it is a NAT router (ie ethernet to the PCs), you're basically set.
    Don't open anything up - ie no incoming ports etc. Just check you haven't
    inadvertently created any openings.

    If it's a network interface installed in your gateway (ie a modem in
    a PC ie you needed drivers eg for a USB device), then your OS is going to
    have to do the filtering. That will depend on what you have and how you
    set it up.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 13, 2005
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:52:51 +1200, Mark wrote:
    >
    > > I have an ADSL ethernet modem and I want to insert IP filtering rules to
    > > prevent my home network from being hijacked from the outside. Could
    > > someone point me a to a web page giving instructions or recommend a book
    > > (that is not expensive).

    > An ethernet modem?
    >
    > If it is a NAT router (ie ethernet to the PCs), you're basically set.
    > Don't open anything up - ie no incoming ports etc. Just check you haven't
    > inadvertently created any openings.
    >
    > If it's a network interface installed in your gateway (ie a modem in
    > a PC ie you needed drivers eg for a USB device), then your OS is going to
    > have to do the filtering. That will depend on what you have and how you
    > set it up.

    Should have been more specific.
    It is a D-Link DSL 504G NAT/Router/ADSL modem.
    According to it's settings, there are no inbound or outbound filters
    unless there is a default which I am not aware of.

    A port scan of the modem returns this:
    Open Port: 21 ftp
    Open Port: 23 telnet
    Open Port: 80 http
    Open Port: 8701

    Creating rules using the filtering page is easy enough.
    Does the order the rules are applied in important?

    Will deny all inbound rule followed by allow ports 21&23 rule allow only
    ports 21&23?

    TIA
    Mark
    Mark, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Mark wrote:
    >>>I have an ADSL ethernet modem and I want to insert IP filtering rules to
    >>>prevent my home network from being hijacked from the outside. Could
    >>>someone point me a to a web page giving instructions or recommend a book
    >>>(that is not expensive).

    > Should have been more specific.
    > It is a D-Link DSL 504G NAT/Router/ADSL modem.

    > A port scan of the modem returns this:
    > Open Port: 21 ftp
    > Open Port: 23 telnet
    > Open Port: 80 http
    > Open Port: 8701

    port scan from inside or outside?
    inside is fine for these to be open, outside not so much.

    > Creating rules using the filtering page is easy enough.
    > Does the order the rules are applied in important?

    not overly, as long as they are applied prior to the interface being
    bought up, although it's not likely that this will happen on a cheap as
    chips router(not sure what yours is).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005