    which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
    whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

    I've Googled, but found nothing. Any ideas?
    Adrian B, Nov 16, 2005

  2. On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:11:11 -0000, "Adrian B"
    <> wrote:

    >I have got a couple of basic USB IP phones. Is there any software out there
    >which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
    >whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

    any softphone client that allows IP dialling. X-ten Lite if you can
    find it. Not sure which wil interact with your handheld USB soundcard.

    Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

    http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
    your party's IP-address using “PC-to-PC” services."

    http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

    etc

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Adrian B

    Adrian B Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

    It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
    about VoiP to know the right keywords.

    > http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
    > your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."
    >
    > http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

    Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

    Regards,

    Adrian
    Adrian B, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Adrian B

    Sparks Guest

    "Adrian B" <> wrote in message
    > "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

    > It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
    > about VoiP to know the right keywords.
    >>
    >> http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
    >> your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."
    >>
    >> http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

    > Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

    The other way is to install Asterisk on a PC, then you get a proper internal
    phone system with support for outbound routing, and your internal extension
    will get short numbers!

    I use Asterisk@home (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/)

    Sparks...
    Sparks, Nov 17, 2005