    main office's internet?

    Thanks for any help.
    Jason

    Jason, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Jason

    Jason Guest

    On Sep 10, 3:15 pm, Artie Lange <> wrote:
    > Jason wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Our
    > > satellite office has a T1 for it's internet access and a Point to
    > > Point T1 that connects it to the main office. The Point to Point is
    > > used for mainly for Voice although I believe some years ago data as
    > > well. This morning the T1 used for internet began bouncing. Is there a
    > > way my satellite users could switch over to the Point to Point and use
    > > main office's internet?

    > > Thanks for any help.
    > > Jason

    > Both connections, the T-1 and the point to point connection, are
    > terminated in the same router? If so, set 2 IP ROUTE statements,
    >
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ISP Gateway> metric 1
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <IP of main office router across the opint to
    > point connection> metric 2
    >
    > I believe that will use your main ISP as your default gateway and your
    > point to point connection as a backup if one is down.

    Hi,

    Thanks for quick response. Unfortunately, both connections have their
    own routers.

    Jason, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    On Sep 10, 3:31 pm, Artie Lange <> wrote:
    > Jason wrote:
    > >> Both connections, the T-1 and the point to point connection, are
    > >> terminated in the same router? If so, set 2 IP ROUTE statements,

    > >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ISP Gateway> metric 1
    > >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <IP of main office router across the opint to
    > >> point connection> metric 2

    > >> I believe that will use your main ISP as your default gateway and your
    > >> point to point connection as a backup if one is down.

    > > Hi,

    > > Thanks for quick response. Unfortunately, both connections have their
    > > own routers.

    > Ugh...
    >
    > In that case I would think you could do one of two things:
    >
    > Configure HSRP between the two routers and use the PTP router as the
    > failover.
    >
    > Or
    >
    > Change the default gateway on your PC's to use the other router, this
    > could be done via DHCP.
    >
    > Other than that I can not think of anything else....- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks, I'll try changing default gateway first.

    Jason, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Jason

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <ga9arh$1qu$>,
    Artie Lange <> wrote:

    > Jason wrote:
    > >> Both connections, the T-1 and the point to point connection, are
    > >> terminated in the same router? If so, set 2 IP ROUTE statements,
    > >>
    > >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ISP Gateway> metric 1
    > >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <IP of main office router across the opint to
    > >> point connection> metric 2
    > >>
    > >> I believe that will use your main ISP as your default gateway and your
    > >> point to point connection as a backup if one is down.

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thanks for quick response. Unfortunately, both connections have their
    > > own routers.

    > Ugh...
    >
    > In that case I would think you could do one of two things:
    >
    > Configure HSRP between the two routers and use the PTP router as the
    > failover.
    >
    > Or
    >
    > Change the default gateway on your PC's to use the other router, this
    > could be done via DHCP.
    >
    > Other than that I can not think of anything else....

    There's a whole lot of assumptions here about IP addresses and how they
    might be routed, in particular that if the satellite office sends its
    Internet traffic to the main office that the outbound packets will be
    accepted and that the responses will be routed back via the main office.
    Its especially tricky if, as the OP says, the satellite's Internet
    connection is bouncing - even if all the necessary dynamic routing is in
    place it's still likely that service quality would be affected.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Sep 11, 2008