Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 1, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jul 1, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    >few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    >various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    >name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593

    This is desperately bad news for Pentax and for Pentax users, and not
    much better news for Ricoh.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11070105ricohbuyspentax.asp

    According to this DPReview news item, Ricoh is buying Pentax "for its
    interchangeable lens camera technology, lens technology and sales
    channels." But the "interchangeable lens camera technology" is the
    stupid, stupid, stupid Q Series, the "lens technology" was long ago
    passed to Tokina (which company remains firmly in Hoya Corporation's
    hands) and the Pentax "sales channels" have all but vanished, at least
    here in Europe.

    All Ricoh is getting is some average DSLRs, a handful of lens designs
    left over from 35mm film days, a pathetic range of thoroughly mediocre
    compact P&S digicams and that stupid, stupid, stupid Q Series.

    The Q Series has killed Pentax stone dead. All the hard-won
    credibility of the 645D has been squandered on the joke Q camera with
    its tiny sensor and toy lenses.

    Ricoh made some decent 35mm SLRs in the 70s and 80s and compact P&S
    cameras in the 90s, notably the GR with its superb 28mm lens. But the
    company has seriously lost direction since the arrival of the digital
    revolution, with the huge investment in the GXR "system" producing
    only an unsaleable lemon.

    What we are talking about here is the joining together of two failing
    companies for no reason other than Ricoh thinking that they jointly
    have a better chance of survival than Ricoh has on its own.

    Yet what does Pentax have to replace the GXR lemon? It has another
    lemon - the Q System, a joke product if ever there was one. What does
    Pentax have that would supplant Ricoh's mediocre P&S range? Another
    mediocre P&S range!

    We have seen it all before, when two very weak photo companies (Konica
    and Minolta) merged, with disastrous consequences for both. There was
    no strength in that merger - the merged company merely compounded the
    structural weaknesses of both its constituent partners, as Sony later
    found to its terrible cost.

    The same will be true here. The only question is, who will have
    dragged the other down? The blame game hardly matters, because
    dragged down they will surely be. Both of them.

    The only winner here is Hoya Corporation, whose Tokina brand has
    benefitted greatly from Pentax's presence in the group. Selling a
    Pentax lame duck has to be a good move for Hoya Corporation, but
    everyone else loses.

    Bruce, Jul 1, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:

    >RichA <> wrote:
    >>I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    >>few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    >>various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    >>name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    >>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593

    >This is desperately bad news for Pentax and for Pentax users, and not
    >much better news for Ricoh.

    Official news release from Hoya Corporation (Adobe .pdf document):

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/6zjopot
    or:
    http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/latest/d0h4dj0000001fv8-att/d0h4dj0000001fwi.pdf

    Bruce, Jul 1, 2011
  4. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593

    Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.

    Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.

    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 1, 2011
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    : Mike <> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    :
    : > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    : >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    : >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    : >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    : >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    : >>
    : >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    : >>
    : > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    : >
    : > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    : > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    : > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    : >
    : > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    : >
    : >
    : > Mike
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    : most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    : brought up the rear.

    How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
    (they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
    one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
    feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
    if I really cared.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2011
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/1/2011 11:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich<> wrote:
    > : Mike<> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    > :
    > :> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > :>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > :>> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > :>> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > :>> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    > :>>
    > :>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    > :>>
    > :> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    > :>
    > :> Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    > :> screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    > :> were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    > :>
    > :> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> Mike
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>
    > :
    > : Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    > : most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    > : brought up the rear.
    >
    > How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
    > (they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
    > one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
    > feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
    > if I really cared.)

    I was a fine camera that was put out of business because of a terrible,
    but faulty review in Consumer Reports.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 2, 2011
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:49:09 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    : Neil Ellwood wrote:
    : > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:41:19 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
    : >
    : >> Rich wrote:
    : >>> Mike <> wrote in
    : >>> news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    : >>>
    : >>>> On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    : >>>>> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than
    : >>>>> a few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its
    : >>>>> position in various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name
    : >>>>> change, Pentax is the name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a
    : >>>>> camera maker.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?
    : >>>>> forum=1036&message=38795593
    : >>>>>
    : >>>> Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    : >>>> screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount.
    : >>>> They were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>> Mike
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>> Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were
    : >>> the most well-known in the SLR days.
    : >>
    : >> They were the "Big Five," yes. But there were excellent SLRs made by
    : >> several others.
    : >>
    : >>> Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    : >>> brought up the rear.
    : >>
    : >> And some of those "etc."s made very nice cameras. My first really
    : >> good SLR (with TTL metering) was a Yashica.
    : >>
    : >> The great beauty of the M42 screw mount was that you could keep and
    : >> add to your collection of lenses while changing between several
    : >> different brands of camera. I had a Petri, two or three Yashicas, a
    : >> couple of Prakticas, a couple of Mamiya Sekors, and finally three
    : >> Fujicas over the years. The last Fujicas weren't as universally
    : >> compatible with respect to lenses because they had a *locking* screw
    : >> mount, which was almost a design contradiction. But all the others
    : >> were happy with any M42 lens.
    : >
    : > A lot of people referred to the M42 mount as the Pentax screw but
    : > originally it was the Edixa screw even though they didn't originate
    : > it.
    :
    : "Praktica-Pentax mount" was a common term for it, though neither Praktica
    : nor Pentax originated it. I don't know when Edixa first adopted it.
    :
    : It has long been claimed that the M42 mount originated with the Contax S,
    : which was also said to be the first SLR with a pentaprism.
    :

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2011
  8. RichA

    : Neil Ellwood wrote:
    : > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:41:19 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
    : >
    : >> Rich wrote:
    : >>> Mike <> wrote in
    : >>> news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    : >>>
[...]

    That surprises me, because I always thought Contaxes had bayonet mounts. In
    the 50s and 60s, Leicas (until the M series) and Canons (which looked almost
    exactly like f-series Leicas) had screw mounts; Contaxes and Nikons (which
    looked a lot like Contaxes) had bayonet mounts. Or so I thought.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2011
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:49:09 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    >: It has long been claimed that the M42 mount originated with the Contax S,
    >: which was also said to be the first SLR with a pentaprism.
    >
    >That surprises me, because I always thought Contaxes had bayonet mounts. In
    >the 50s and 60s, Leicas (until the M series) and Canons (which looked almost
    >exactly like f-series Leicas) had screw mounts; Contaxes and Nikons (which
    >looked a lot like Contaxes) had bayonet mounts. Or so I thought.

    You're both partly right. However, the Contax rangefinder cameras
    (which looked a lot like Nikon rangefinder cameras because Nikon
    copied them) had bayonet mounts,while the Contax SLRs used the M42
    universal mount.

    The M42 mount was first used in 1947 on the Praktiflex SLR which had
    been in production at the Dresden factory of Kamera-Werkstätten VEB
    Niedersedlitz since 1939 with a 40mm screw mount.

    The Contax S was also made in Dresden by Zeiss Ikon, which by then had
    officially split from Zeiss in West Germany. It adopted the M42
    mount. Production started in 1949.

    After some lengthy legal wrangling, Zeiss Ikon were denied the use of
    the Contax brand and chose the name "Pentacon" for future production.
    However, cameras sold in the Comecon (eastern bloc) countries were
    still labelled "Contax".

    Bruce, Jul 2, 2011
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    >I knew one fellow who owned a Miranda, I think in the late '60s. When we
    >discussed our cameras he asked me, "Why didn't you get a Miranda?" -- as if
    >that was so obviously the only camera to buy.
    >
    >I think Miranda had an unusual dual mount, both screw and bayonet. But the
    >screw wasn't the ubiquitous M42. I ordered an M42 lens from a NYC dealer and
    >it wouldn't fit my cameras because it was for the Miranda screw mount
    >instead. I sold it to the guy with the Miranda.
    >
    >Mirandas were imported by Allied Impex, with Soligor lenses. Allied Impex
    >also imported Soligor lenses for most other cameras at that time. I think
    >they just owned the name "Soligor," i.e. it was a brand name like "Vivitar,"
    >not necessarily a specific manufacturer.

    Some useful indication on Miranda cameras here:
    http://www.mirandacamera.com/_modelid/modelid.htm
    and here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Camera_Company

    In the 1980s, Dixons, who were Britain's largest retailer of cameras,
    purchased the Miranda name and used it on a range of cheap and very
    nasty SLRs and lenses that were made by Cosina. They also applied the
    name to some very dubious accessories, including tripods whose
    extrusions were made from a soft and pliable alloy that rendered them
    useless.

    These products should not be confused with the genuine Miranda
    products made until 1978 when the company went bust.

    Bruce, Jul 2, 2011
  11. Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:33:18 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > : Mike <> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    > :
    > : > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > : >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > : >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > : >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > : >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    > : >>
    > : >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    > : >>
    > : > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    > : >
    > : > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    > : > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    > : > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    > : >
    > : > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Mike
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    > : most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    > : brought up the rear.
    >
    > How did Miranda fit into the mix? I remember them as being pretty well known
    > (they advertised a lot), although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who owned
    > one. I think they claimed to have been the first with some interesting
    > feature, but I can't remember what it was. (Yeah, I know; I should Google them
    > if I really cared.)
    >
    > Bob

    I think their Sensorex was the first with a meter on the mirror - which
    allowed interchangeable finders while retaining the metering.

    My old favorite Topcon Super D had it too, but later I think.

    Bob(but not THAT Bob), Jul 2, 2011
  12. Rich wrote:

    > Mike <> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    >
    > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    > >>
    > >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    > >>

    > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    > >
    > > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    > > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    > > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    > >
    > > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    > >

    > > Mike
    > >

    > Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    > most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    > brought up the rear.

    Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
    made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
    Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
    surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
    infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.

    Bob(but not THAT Bob), Jul 2, 2011
  13. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 7/1/2011 9:43 AM, RichA wrote:
    > I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.

    Outside the U.S. they are quite well known as a camera maker. For
    whatever reason they decided not to continue to sell their cameras in
    the U.S., except via one NYC retailer, Adorama.

    Clearly it's too late for Ricoh to enter the D-SLR market and Pentax is
    so far behind the market leaders that it's a very strange acquisition
    unless it was just to prevent Pentax from shutting down. 125 million is
    just a token amount.

    SMS, Jul 3, 2011
  14. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
    <> wrote:
    : Rich wrote:
    : >
    : > Mike <> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    : >
    : > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    : > >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    : > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    : > >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    : > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    : > >>
    : > >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    : > >>
    : > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    : > >
[...]

    I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it, and
    why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
    with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 3, 2011
  15. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 7/1/2011 12:42 PM, Mike wrote:
    > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    >>
    >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    >>

    > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.

    They were pretty big in the early days of digital too. My first digital
    camera was a Philips ESP80 which was a rebadged Ricoh RDC-4300.
    Excellent camera for the time, but they forgot the optical viewfinder so
    it didn't do well against the Nikon and Olympus competition.

    SMS, Jul 3, 2011
  16. Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
    > <> wrote:
    > : Rich wrote:
    > : >
    > : > Mike <> wrote in news:iul7uv$jdi$:
    > : >
    > : > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > : > >> I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > : > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > : > >> various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > : > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    > : > >>
    > : > >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    > : > >>
    > : > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    > : > >
    > : > > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    > : > > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    > : > > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    > : > >
    > : > > http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : > > Mike
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : >
    > : > Second-tier maker. Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    > : > most well-known in the SLR days. Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    > : > brought up the rear.
    > :
    > : Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
    > : made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
    > : Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
    > : surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
    > : infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.
    >
    > I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it, and
    > why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
    > with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount. ;^)
    >
    > Bob

    A 35mm slr - two models, a 500DTL & 1000DTL - the only problem was the
    QC - every one of them sold at the local pro photo store got returned as
    defective.

    They sold like crazy because there was a spiff on them - so the salesmen
    pushed the hell out of them.

    Once they got refurbed, they performed as well as any low end slr with a
    mediocre lens.

    Their TLRs weren't bad, but the first gen. of their 6x7 format RB67 slr
    lenses had that QC problem - they apparently used the wrong viscosity
    lube on the leaf shutters and they'd stick and hang open. Once again, if
    you were lucky and got them fixed under warranty, they performed fine
    thereafter.

    Pros don't like to be beta testers, so I'm sure it helped sell a lot of
    'blads.

    Bob(but not THAT Bob), Jul 3, 2011
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Point & Shoot maker Ricoh buys PENTAX! The horror!!

    On Jul 2, 11:48 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:39:34 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"<> wrote:
    > : Rich wrote:
    >
    > : >
    > : > Mike <> wrote innews:iul7uv$jdi$:
    > : >
    > : > > On 01/07/2011 12:43 PM, RichA wrote:
    > : > >> I pity Pentaxians.  But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > : > >> few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > : > >> various markets.  I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > : > >> name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.
    > : > >>
    > : > >>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38795593
    > : > >>
    > : > > Ricoh has made cameras since 1936.
    > : > >
    > : > > Ricoh was a SLR maker for eons, they used the M42 (Practika/Pentax
    > : > > screwmount, and in the mid-1970's switched to the Pentax K-Mount. They
    > : > > were an OEM maker of some of the Sears cameras.
    > : > >
    > : > >http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : > > Mike
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : > >
    > : >
    > : > Second-tier maker.  Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Olympus were the
    > : > most well-known in the SLR days.  Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Konica, etc.,
    > : > brought up the rear.
    > :
    > : Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
    > : made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.
    > : Mamiya actually made the Nikkorex - and Ricoh bought the design, so no
    > : surprise they eventually went to the same Pentax screw mount the
    > : infamous Mamiya-Sekor used.
    >
    > I recall the name "Mamiya-Sekor", but nothing else about it. What was it,and
    > why was it infamous? If I'd had to guess, I might have said it was that TLR
    > with interchangeable fronts. But I don't think that had a screw mount.  ;^)
    >
    > Bob

    Because its M42 mount was different than the others.

    RichA, Jul 3, 2011
  18. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    > > RichA wrote:
    > > I pity Pentaxians. But Ricoh as a company has acquired more than a
    > > few other companies over the last 10 years to boost its position in
    > > various markets. I wouldn't worry about a name change, Pentax is the
    > > name they want, Ricoh isn't well-known as a camera maker.

    > Not as well known as Pentax, but Ricoh has been making cameras for a very
    > long time, some of them highly regarded. No need to "pity Pentaxians" on
    > this account as far as I can see.
    >
    > Companies buy and/or merge with other companies. That's the history of
    > the business world.

    <edited>

    Doesn't Kodak own Ricoh?

    (No, wait...I must've been thinking of Chinon!)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 5, 2011
  19. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    > > John Turco wrote:

    > >> Not as well known as Pentax, but Ricoh has been making cameras for a
    > >> very long time, some of them highly regarded. No need to "pity
    > >> Pentaxians" on this account as far as I can see.
    > >>
    > >> Companies buy and/or merge with other companies. That's the history
    > >> of the business world.

    > > <edited>
    > >
    > > Doesn't Kodak own Ricoh?
    > >
    > > (No, wait...I must've been thinking of Chinon!)

    > Beats me, John.

    I was correct.

    Wikipedia - Chinon Industries
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinon_Industries>

    Some excerpts:

    "Chinon Industries Inc. (???????, Chinon Kabushiki-gaisha?) was
    a Japanese camera manufacturer. Kodak took a majority stake in
    the company in 1997, and made it a fully owned subsidiary of
    Kodak Japan, Kodak Digital Product Center, Japan Ltd."

    <edited>

    "Chinon also was a manufacturer of CD-ROM drives, scanners,
    electronic pocket calculators, and floppy disk drives. They
    even dabbled in VR with Cybershades for the PC, launched in
    the US market in 1995 for $199."

    <edited>

    "Founded 1948"

    "Defunct 2004"

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 9, 2011
  20. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
    <> saying something like:

    >Ricoh "acquired" back then too. It was rumored at the time that they
    >made the Nikkorex for Nikon as well as the Nikon mount Ricoh Singlex.

    I acquired a Ricoh Singlex for the lens a couple of years ago. I was
    quite surprised to find it attached to a fairly decent solidly-built
    lump of metal. It gives me a bit of a blast using much later Nikon glass
    on it :)
    Apparently it was the first to use the metal Copal Square shutter, which
    was reportedly problematical at the time (fixed in subsequent useage),
    but mine works fine.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Aug 16, 2011