Point and Shoot

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kramer31, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. kramer31

    kramer31 Guest

    Hey there. I was looking to purchase a digital camera and my budget
    is <$200. I want it to be small enough that I can carry it in my
    jacket pocket so that it will be handy for candids. I would like at
    least 5 MPx probably 6 or 7. Zoom required (pref. optical), but
    obviously I won't have a lot of zoom in a small camera. It should
    perform pretty well at low light. The kicker is that I manage to take
    bad photos, so I would like a pretty smart camera that will adjust for
    lighting conditions, properly focus on what I point it at, and
    preferably account for some sort of jiggling by the inept photographer
    (me). I also would prefer to not have to deal with AA batteries.

    A lot of people complain that these point and shoot models autofocus
    too slowly for good candids or that the image quality is just too poor
    in standard lighting conditions.

    My wife owns a digital camera with mostly manual features. She does
    well with it and I don't.

    Any recommendations would be helpful...

    Cameras that I am considering are:

    Nikon Coolpix S200 or S500 (does the fancier OIS and ISO 2000 justify
    the extra $50 for the S500)
    Canon Powershot SD1000
    Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 or W80 (again do the OIS and higher ISO justify
    the $20 more)

    How is the image quality with these cameras? Does the IS really
    reduce blurring? Do they focus fast enough for action photos or for
    candids? Am I just expecting too much?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    -John
    kramer31, Nov 13, 2007

  2. kramer31 wrote:
    > Hey there. I was looking to purchase a digital camera and my budget
    > is <$200. I want it to be small enough that I can carry it in my
    > jacket pocket so that it will be handy for candids. I would like at
    > least 5 MPx probably 6 or 7. Zoom required (pref. optical), but
    > obviously I won't have a lot of zoom in a small camera. It should
    > perform pretty well at low light. The kicker is that I manage to take
    > bad photos, so I would like a pretty smart camera that will adjust for
    > lighting conditions, properly focus on what I point it at, and
    > preferably account for some sort of jiggling by the inept photographer
    > (me). I also would prefer to not have to deal with AA batteries.

    It's really hard at sub-$200 to get away from having to deal with AA
    batteries, while retaining other important features.

    If you can compromise on the battery type, you might look at the Canon
    570IS. For low light you probably want IS, and with Canon if you need
    more flash you can buy the wireless flash attachement. The 570IS still
    has an optical viewfinder as well, which is becoming quite rare in
    inexpensive point and shoot models.

    > A lot of people complain that these point and shoot models autofocus
    > too slowly for good candids or that the image quality is just too poor
    > in standard lighting conditions.

    Yes, the AF is rather slow on P&S cameras. Not sure what "standard
    lighting" is, but the P&S models are not designed for indoor shots in
    low light except for the higher end models that can use a flash.
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 13, 2007

  3. kramer31 wrote:
    > Hey there. I was looking to purchase a digital camera and my budget
    > is <$200. I want it to be small enough that I can carry it in my
    > jacket pocket so that it will be handy for candids. I would like at
    > least 5 MPx probably 6 or 7. Zoom required (pref. optical), but
    > obviously I won't have a lot of zoom in a small camera. It should
    > perform pretty well at low light. The kicker is that I manage to take
    > bad photos, so I would like a pretty smart camera that will adjust for
    > lighting conditions, properly focus on what I point it at, and
    > preferably account for some sort of jiggling by the inept photographer
    > (me). I also would prefer to not have to deal with AA batteries.

    []
    > How is the image quality with these cameras? Does the IS really
    > reduce blurring? Do they focus fast enough for action photos or for
    > candids? Am I just expecting too much?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -John

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    The Panasonic TZ3 is small enough, and has a 28 - 280mm image stabilised
    zoom. No AA batteries. However, I think it's more that $200. Yes, the
    IS is great when you are at the longer end of the telephoto range, and it
    stabilises the image in the viewfinder as well. Today, I would not buy
    without IS, if at all possible.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 13, 2007