    Don Guest

    Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
    lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

    Don, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Don

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
    > lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

    Canon A85, Olympus C-5060, C-7070, I am sure there are others.

    Rudy Benner, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Don" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider
    >> angle lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks
    >>

    > Canon A85, Olympus C-5060, C-7070, I am sure there are others.

    Nikon Coolpix 8400 has 24mm as the wide end of its zoom, 18mm (IIRC) with
    an adapter.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Don

    TAFKAB Guest

    The Nikon 8400 goes to 24mm equivilant without add-ons.

    TAFKAB, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Don

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:38:24 -0400, "Don" <> wrote:

    >Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
    >lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

    Minolta Z series has a wide angle converter. Canon has one
    for its A series Powershots. I wouldn't expect sterling optical
    quality out of any of these if past experience is still valid... I
    had one of these for my first camcorder where the telephoto
    was somewhat helpful, but the wide angle was quite "bad".
    This was a "combo" unit offering both by "flipping" the lens.

    You'd be better off picking a camera that offers a wider
    "wide angle" on the virtually now standard zooms. Search
    the review sites for any that start around "28mm" instead of
    the more usual "35mm".

    Jerome Bigge
    Photographer and Astronomer
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Jun 28, 2005
  6. On 6/27/05 8:26 PM, in article ,
    "Jerome Bigge" <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:38:24 -0400, "Don" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
    >> lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks
    >>

    > Minolta Z series has a wide angle converter. Canon has one
    > for its A series Powershots. I wouldn't expect sterling optical
    > quality out of any of these if past experience is still valid... I
    > had one of these for my first camcorder where the telephoto
    > was somewhat helpful, but the wide angle was quite "bad".
    > This was a "combo" unit offering both by "flipping" the lens.
    >
    > You'd be better off picking a camera that offers a wider
    > "wide angle" on the virtually now standard zooms. Search
    > the review sites for any that start around "28mm" instead of
    > the more usual "35mm".
    >
    > Jerome Bigge
    > Photographer and Astronomer
    > Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    > Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome:

    Nikon's CoolPix 8400 is a point & shoot that comes with a 24-85 mm lens
    standard without the need for any external adapter or wide angle converter
    lens. This is the point and shoot with widest angle of coverage available
    (to the best of my knowledge). Few cameras offer 28 mm and most fall in the
    range between 35 and 38 mm.

    Another great benefit of this camera is the ability to focus down to about
    3/4" from the subject for some outstanding macro shots. Very few cameras
    offer this capability. Price was $ 899 but lately I have seen it as low as $
    499 due to dealers discounts and after a manufacturer mail-in rebate.

    Best regards,

    --
    Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
    Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery