    zxcvar Guest

    Greetings! IS there any pocketable camera with some degree of manual
    control? With thanks.
    zxcvar, Sep 29, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    Roger Guest

    There has been a lot written about the Canon s60 so it's easy to
    research and learn what the manufacturer's mean about "manual
    control". I have the camera and use the manual features quite a bit
    (e.g. scale focusing and aperture priority AE). You can also do
    complete manual with manual shutter speed. Some of the manual
    operations are fiddley but for the most it's pretty reasonable to do
    so. Check out http://www.dpreview.com for the s60 reviews and
    descriptions. Others are available.

    I have the "C" (custom) shooting mode set up for 28mm f5.6 hyperfocal
    shooting. It makes a great street setup and unless you have a very
    contrasty situation, the AE is fast and there is negligible delay.

    Hope this helps,
    Roger

    Roger, Sep 29, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! IS there any pocketable camera with some degree of manual
    > control? With thanks.

    Sure. MOst have some manual control. Check out the Kodak LS series,
    and the DX series, for a start.
    Full manual with manual focus is usually found only on somewhat larger
    cameras.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 30, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    Guest

    Re: Small digitable camera with manual control: Canon Powershot S60 5MP

    Check out the Canon Powershot S-60 5MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical
    Zoom
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B00028CECM

    You can get one for about $450. Or if you want better MP, there's
    always the Canon PowerShot S70 7.1MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical
    Zoom for about $560. The S60 is a great camera that has a good balance
    between size and manual control features.

    Definitely lighter than the S50, and the 28mm equivalent lense is nice
    and wide angle, and maintains great edge sharpness. Full manual control
    -- including the focus, auto bracket, and flexible autofocus and
    auto-exposure controls.

    Shoots in Canon RAW mode, though this is proprietary to Canon so keeps
    you dependent. The battery last a long time and recharges quickly, but
    again it's proprietary so doesn't take the AA batteries that many other
    cams, and the batteries are harder to find of course. Solid
    construction (except for battery door).

    Cons: A bit of shutter lag (though this is pretty common in almost all
    of this class of camera). Sliding lense cover may get in the way when
    open, and the battery door does not stay closed so well if you have the
    cam in your pocket, for example. Doesn't take standard batteries. LCD
    screen doesn't swivel and lacks anti-reflective coating.

    This is a prosumer, camera in a point-and-shoot body, so if that's the
    balance you're looking for, it's definitely worth considering.

    -Scott
    , Sep 30, 2004