Pocket sized with SLR features

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by heather_4816@hotmail.com, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. Matt Ion Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > "Almost pocket sized"? Is that like 'a little pregnant'? Grin.

    Depends on the size of your pockets!
    Matt Ion, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm looking for ideas.
    >
    > I do a lot of photography, mostly just hobby stuff for myself. I am
    > still pretty attached to my 35mm SLR. However, travel photography is my
    > ultimate favorite and I am *sick* to death of lugging my SLR and lenses
    > accross the world!!
    >
    > I am looking for a digital camera that is pocket sized, but has as many
    > features of a SLR as possible. I know I will be making some sacrifices,
    > but I'd like to downsize the "equipment" factor on my upcoming trip to
    > West Africa.
    >
    > I don't care too much about telephoto, Macro is more important to me.
    >
    > I'm overwhelmed by all the brands/models out there. So far I've come
    > accross the Canon Powershot G7 which looks promising.
    >
    > I appreciate any info/ideas you have

    Panasonic Lumix LX-1 is the best choice, hands down. Great lens, great
    controls, shoots raw, etc. And it's pretty small. I have some pictures
    that were taken with that camera here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gniewko/sets/72157594194434425/detail/
    Starting toward the bottom of the page (and on subsequent pages) are
    the LX-1 pictures.

    The LX-1 has been replaced by the LX-2, but the LX-1 is actually a
    better camera (the LX-2 uses too much noise reduction, and 10
    megapixels is just too much for such a small sensor).You should still
    be able to find the LX-1 in some photo stores.

    -Gniewko
    , Jan 9, 2007

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm looking for ideas.
    >
    > I do a lot of photography, mostly just hobby stuff for myself. I am
    > still pretty attached to my 35mm SLR. However, travel photography is my
    > ultimate favorite and I am *sick* to death of lugging my SLR and lenses
    > accross the world!!
    >
    > I am looking for a digital camera that is pocket sized, but has as many
    > features of a SLR as possible. I know I will be making some sacrifices,
    > but I'd like to downsize the "equipment" factor on my upcoming trip to
    > West Africa.
    >
    > I don't care too much about telephoto, Macro is more important to me.
    >
    > I'm overwhelmed by all the brands/models out there. So far I've come
    > accross the Canon Powershot G7 which looks promising.
    >
    > I appreciate any info/ideas you have

    The G7 should fill the bill. Also consider the S3 IS which has about
    the same wide angle but also has an incredibly long telephoto. It is
    bigger however. Both cameras have image stabilization which is a real
    plus. Check the reviews on DPreview.com.
    , Jan 10, 2007