    Thanks!

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Nov 15, 2006

  2. JC Dill

    Philippe Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    > DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    > but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jc

    Canon G6, if you can find it (g7 went to microlens).. Canon S3 after
    that.. Both are in the $500/$600 CAD (so knock off $100-ish for USD)

    I'm sure others will jump in with non-Canon stuff, but that's what I
    researched so that's what I'm comfie with..

    :p
    P.
    Philippe, Nov 15, 2006

  3. JC Dill

    Cgiorgio Guest

    If you have a rather large pocket, I would recommend a look at the Panasonic
    FZ-7, giant pocket would allow for their FZ-50. TZ-1 has also fairly good
    10xzoom optics and fits into a normal pocket, but only 5 MPixels. If you are
    into low light shooting, you need a giant pocket and might want to have a
    look at Sony's DSC-R1 (APS-size sensor, Carl Zeiss designed Lens). All of
    these fit well within your budget. For more info have a look at:
    http://www.dpreview.com/

    Cgiorgio, Nov 15, 2006
  4. JC Dill

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Cgiorgio, Nov 15, 2006
  5. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:45:26 GMT, Philippe
    <> wrote:

    >Canon G6, if you can find it (g7 went to microlens).. Canon S3 after
    >that.. Both are in the $500/$600 CAD (so knock off $100-ish for USD)

    Thanks! Those were both already on my list, so it's good to have that
    choice echoed.

    One other consideration - shutter lag. What cameras offer a short
    shutter lag, short of going with a DSLR?

    JC Dill, Nov 15, 2006
  6. JC Dill

    Philippe Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:45:26 GMT, Philippe
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Canon G6, if you can find it (g7 went to microlens).. Canon S3 after
    >> that.. Both are in the $500/$600 CAD (so knock off $100-ish for USD)

    > Thanks! Those were both already on my list, so it's good to have that
    > choice echoed.
    >
    > One other consideration - shutter lag. What cameras offer a short
    > shutter lag, short of going with a DSLR?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jc

    I'm a bad judge on that one.. I went from a G2 to the S3, with *MASSIVE*
    improvements in reduced shutter lag; but it's still a p/s, which means
    you'll be waiting somewhat.. I've no idea, unfortunately, of the
    comparison between the S3 and other models.. your best bet would be to
    try them out at the store once you've got a short list.. Most stores
    either have 'display models'(department stores) that will let you fire
    some shots or if you're in an actual photo shop, ask to handle/shoot a
    few pics..

    and whatever you do, *DON'T* handle a DSLR.. you'll be crying over the
    speed difference for weeks..

    ;)
    P.
    Philippe, Nov 15, 2006
  7. JC Dill

    m Ransley Guest

    Read reviews at dpreview, with present manufacturing systems good glass
    comes as cheap as 200$ on some name brands. The other 2 factors you
    forgot are the sensor and control program.
    m Ransley, Nov 15, 2006
  8. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:42:26 GMT, Philippe
    <> wrote:

    >I went from a G2 to the S3, with *MASSIVE*
    >improvements in reduced shutter lag;

    Thanks, that's very helpful info. I used to own a G1 so I am familiar
    with the shutter lag on that model.

    >but it's still a p/s, which means
    >you'll be waiting somewhat.. I've no idea, unfortunately, of the
    >comparison between the S3 and other models.. your best bet would be to
    >try them out at the store once you've got a short list.. Most stores
    >either have 'display models'(department stores) that will let you fire
    >some shots or if you're in an actual photo shop, ask to handle/shoot a
    >few pics..
    >
    >and whatever you do, *DON'T* handle a DSLR.. you'll be crying over the
    >speed difference for weeks..

    I already have a DSLR, a Canon 1DMII. This is for a "pocket camera"
    and I know what I'll be giving up.

    JC Dill, Nov 15, 2006
  9. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:43:43 -0600, (m Ransley)
    wrote:

    >Read reviews at dpreview, with present manufacturing systems good glass
    >comes as cheap as 200$ on some name brands. The other 2 factors you
    >forgot are the sensor and control program.

    I didn't forget those factors, I just wanted to narrow down the list
    that I would review in depth, considering those factors (along with
    others).

    JC Dill, Nov 15, 2006
  10. JC Dill

    Rob Davison Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:42:26 GMT, Philippe
    > <> wrote:

    >> and whatever you do, *DON'T* handle a DSLR.. you'll be crying over the
    >> speed difference for weeks..

    > I already have a DSLR, a Canon 1DMII. This is for a "pocket camera"
    > and I know what I'll be giving up.

    I also have a 1D2 and recently bought a Fuji F30. Responsive for a
    pocket P&S, reasonable high ISO and the battery life is nearly as
    good as the 1D. ;-)

    Cons: No OVF, it's too small and tends to overexpose (EC -2/3 to -1)

    There's a good review of it here:

    http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/070_Fujifilm_F30/_Fujifilm_F30.html

    ATB,

    Rob.
    --
    Images http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/
    Rob Davison, Nov 15, 2006
  11. On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:36:09 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    > DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    > but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.

    The Panasonic LX series (-2 is the current version) has gotten good
    reviews for the quality of its lens. IS, but not a fold-out LCD. It also
    has a fairly noisy sensor above ISO 100.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 15, 2006
  12. JC Dill

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    JC Dill <> wrote:

    > I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    > DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    > but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.

    Sony makes some excellent point and shoot cameras. They have Carl Zeis
    lenses. Check Sony's web site or http://www.dpreview.com for info.
    Shawn Hirn, Nov 16, 2006
  13. JC Dill

    SimonLW Guest

    "JC Dill" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    > DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    > but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jc
    >
    > --
    >
    > "The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot
    > of different horses without having to own that many."
    > ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    After reviewing several sample photos over on Steves digicams, I've
    concluded that the pocket cameras (sub-compact) just don't offer the best in
    image quality. (Noisy, and/or color fringy images). It is best to move up to
    a larger model. I'm not excited about the 10mp point and shoots either. Too
    much noise in the shadows.
    -S
    SimonLW, Nov 16, 2006
  14. >> I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    >> DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    >> [...]

    >I'm sure others will jump in with non-Canon stuff, but that's what I
    >researched so that's what I'm comfie with..

    I'm also a big fan of Canon's pocket digicams. I owned the S30 and
    now I have the S70, which with I'm very happy. In addition to a
    quality lens and sensor, the S-series cameras offer full manual
    control as well as full automatic. If you've used an SLR, you may
    find the manual very helpful.

    They don't have IS, but I've found that the small sensor size means
    that with some care I can use F/15 at 50mm equivilent and get a good
    shot.

    -Joel

    Free custom Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 16, 2006
  15. >One other consideration - shutter lag. What cameras offer a short
    >shutter lag, short of going with a DSLR?

    Ah. My biggest complain about the Canon S-series cameras is the
    shutter lag....

    -Joel

    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 16, 2006
  16. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:24:52 -0500, "SimonLW" <>
    wrote:

    >"JC Dill" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    >> DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    >> but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.

    >After reviewing several sample photos over on Steves digicams, I've
    >concluded that the pocket cameras (sub-compact) just don't offer the best in
    >image quality. (Noisy, and/or color fringy images). It is best to move up to
    >a larger model. I'm not excited about the 10mp point and shoots either. Too
    >much noise in the shadows.

    Let me elaborate more on the purpose of this camera. It's not for me
    (at least, not right away, I may get one for me later). I was asked
    to recommend a DSLR for a xmas gift for a friend of a friend.

    The recipient is: "not hardcore about her cameras, her shooting is
    mostly just for fun. Pictures of the kids, holidays, vacations, etc.
    She carries the camera loose in her bag (without a separate case of
    its own), so something durable (without lots of little knobs and
    levers and such to get caught on things) would be important. Most of
    her shooting seems to be outside, but maybe that's just all I've seen
    so far; a pop-up flash would probably be useful, for fill and simple
    indoor shots. "

    The buyer is a generous guy. He wants to get her a digital camera
    that is similar to the Minolta 7000 SLR camera with a ~35-105mm lens
    on it. Based on her camera use it seems to me that a DSLR is too much
    - too big, too fussy, too fragile, too complicated. And that's if his
    budget includes buying a DLSR plus quality lens(es). He's generous,
    but the total price of the type of DSLR kit I'd recommend (a 400D plus
    lenses, memory, case, etc) is a lot more than the price of a good
    pocket digicam. I suspect that she would appreciate a smaller camera
    and more extras (memory cards, printer, PSE or PS CS2) much more than
    a DSLR.

    One reason I feel this way is my dad's experience with upgrading from
    an SLR. My dad replaced his 80s era film SLR with a 350D 2 years ago.
    He never learned to use the various shooting modes and shot almost
    everything in jpeg (instead of raw) on the P mode. He used the photos
    as they came out of the camera, maybe cropping but never doing any
    photo manipulation with Elements or similar. When the camera died (a
    few months out of warranty, of course) and the repair estimate came
    close to the value of the camera, instead of getting it repaired my
    sister bought him a Canon Powershot (450, I think) for Father's Day.
    My dad is THRILLED with the Powershot and doesn't miss his 350D at
    all. So, knowing how well a DSLR worked (or rather didn't work) for
    my dad, I'm suggesting my friend look at the better pocket digicams
    instead.

    I wanted to narrow down the range of cameras I was suggesting, and I
    figured that if I started by considering just the cameras with quality
    glass that would get me a useful subset to work from.

    So, now you know the rest of the story.

    After reading the suggestions here and visiting some review sites the
    Canon S3 rose to the top of my recommendation list. I'm pretty sure
    that the image quality will be comparable to what she gets with her
    Minolta and her shooting style.

    I'm still happy to entertain other models if anyone has any others to
    suggest.

    JC Dill, Nov 16, 2006
  17. JC Dill

    Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > I'm still happy to entertain other models if anyone has any others to
    > suggest.

    If you're looking for a quality lens, check out the Panasonic LX-1 (or
    the LX-2, which is newer, but goes crazy with noise reduction). This
    camera has a very nice Leica lens. I have one and I love it.

    -Gniewko
    , Nov 16, 2006
  18. JC Dill

    Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a smaller digicam (e.g. not a
    > DSLR) with good glass. Budget is up to $800 (US). IS would be nice
    > but is not necessary. Flip-out LCD screen is nice, but not necessary.

    Look at some of the older ones in that size range - cheaper now. My
    experience with Canon A60 is that they do about as well in most
    situations as large prosumer models that resemble dSLRs both
    functionally and in size - and for a lot less.

    , Nov 16, 2006
  19. JC Dill

    AAvK Guest

    In which case, exactly the Pentax W20. It is waterproof and makes
    very sharp shots, very smooth from things that stick out, and a little
    larger than small, handleable. 7MP.

    Take a gander at it and sample shots here: www.pbase.com in the
    camera database, as well at: www.dpreview.com (no samples yet).

    --